i30 Owners Club

2010 crdi i30 cw head gasket

cbai30 · 37 · 13123

Offline cbai30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Weston, ACT

• 2010 FD 5 Door Wagon, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Black
Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster...very happy i30 owner from down under. 

Until yesterday....

We just got our 2010 i30cw crdi back from service (90k km, done at 89k km prior to a long road trip) and less than 72hrs later it's back at the same shop (AUD925 for the major service later!!) on the back of a tow truck.  Basically, this is what happened:

- Driving home on a 30 deg. cel. day a whirring from the driver's wheel arch
- then a loss of power, and air con cutting out
- no response to accelerating, even after 'flooring' the pedal
- 'limping home' at 40km/hr
- open the bonnet, and the coolant reservoir is empty, and coolant is all under the reservoir, like green sludge/fibreglass
- steam coming from the overflow hose, and a ticking and bubbling noise
- the engine temperature gauge deep in the red

Anyway, obviously we were a bit put out! So we got road side assist to tow it the next morning, back to the dealer.  The dealer were very good about it, admitted that it sounded bad and would repair at their cost under warranty as soon as possible (as we left, someone already had the bonnet open and was peering in - despite the workshop being booked out for the next four days).

They also loaned us a car from the shop floor to borrow in the mean time.

We called them back this afternoon, and they've said they're still investigating, but they think it's a 'blown head gasket or a cracked head'. They'll need the car for the next week or so they say.

What do you guys think has happened here? We took it in for service and the car was working fine.  It came out and drove ok for two days, and then it suddenly started making the whirring noise...and it was downhill from there.  The shop were quick to say that this was not a consequence of the service (we didn't suggest it was), but they were overly defensive on this - and it does seem a little coincidental.  I can't help but wonder if someone put the wrong coolant/blend in or didn't put a cap back on properly.

As you can probably tell, I am very much a non-car person with no real knowledge of cars...but clearly in need of help! Apologies if I've broken any forum rules/made any faux pas in posting this topic (I did read the forum rules...I hope I've abided by them.)

I would be most grateful for any assistance or guidance.
  • 2010 i30cw crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Obviously something catastrophic has happened while driving. Whatever it was has caused the engine to overheat and lose it's coolant.

When this happens, very quickly metal parts can overheat and get damaged or even destroyed.

Given that you have a loan vehicle and your dealer is prepared to rectify the problem at no cost to you, I don't think you could ask more of them. Postulating about what has gone wrong won't change what has to be done and no one can be absolutely sure what it was.

Rest assured that you will get your vehicle back in proper working order and enjoy the loan vehicle.

Did you notice the temp gauge rising at all ?

Good luck. Keep us posted on any developments.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Welcome cbai30.
Terrible luck and almost unheard of failure.
What was done in the service? You said 90k was done but then said major service later.
Glad your being looked after properly.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sorry to hear about your issue but just shows how  fortunate you are to have the 5 year warranty.

To say will be covered by warranty without approve from hy hq shows they are confident it is the result of a manufacturing issue rather than wear and tear or lapse of maintence

Ps
Was the coolate changes at this service?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

To say will be covered by warranty without approve from hy hq shows they are confident it is the result of a manufacturing issue rather than wear and tear or lapse of maintence

Or dealer trying to cover their arse.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Bugger, God bless warranty.

I think you do have the right to ascertain what went wrong. The answers may cause you to rethink who you use to service your vehicle.

That said, if it was a stuff up, there was no buck passing, trying to blame you or fobbing you off. I respect these qualities highly, because none of us are perfect. 
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline cbai30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Weston, ACT

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Yep, can't complain thus far with the service from the dealer.  They have been really good, here's to hoping that continues.

The coolant was indeed changed at this service.  We didn't see the temperature gauge rise until we literally turned into our street, when it started rising before our eyes.  We put it in neutral and rolled into the driveway (downhill, <100m from our street corner).

RE: the service and what was done/major service - the dealer told us it was a major service at 90k., and we got a log book service done per the 5th link down here: :link: Service Schedule Tables - Hyundai Motor Company Australia

I was surprised that 90k was a major and rang around other mechanics who said the same thing - we're coming from Ford Falcon which had its major at 100k.

We'll be trying to ascertain what went wrong for sure!

Anyway, will definitely keep you posted, and thanks again for the warm welcome and comments.
  • 2010 i30cw crdi

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
You'll find that pretty much everyone here is happy to help where possible. They're a great bunch.
To me it definitely sounds like they're taking the blame for a stuff up. It seems very strange this has happened as it is almost unheard of.
That being said, if that is the case props to the dealer for getting on to it and sorting it out asap, we all have and will make mistakes.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Maybe it was a shoddy dealer major service with coolant flush like mine:

:link: Is this acceptable after dealer service.

Ridiculous for me to find insufficient coolant after arriving home from picking up the car. I was afraid to drive it to pick up my kids. The dealer principal knew they'd stuffed up when he refunded the entire service.

If they stuffed up your coolant flush could it have caused this?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
> open the bonnet, and the coolant reservoir is empty, and coolant is all under the reservoir, like green sludge/fibreglass

Describe this some more please. Looked like fiberglass?

No water under the radiator, you see this under the expansion tank?

an next time take photo! Oh, hopefully wont be a next time  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum: cbai30

Very sad your first post had to be about a problem (but no issue with your post)

I reckon it is too coincidental that it happened 2 days after the service, but the main thing is that it is fixed properly and at no cost to you.

Be aware if anything motor related happens in the next couple of years (even outside warranty) you may be able to blame it on this and still get it fixed for free (just my take anyway) :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cbai30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Weston, ACT

Hi guys, here's a photo of what we saw when we opened the bonnet on Wednesday.

I rang the dealer today for a status update and they said that they hadn't been able to get around to continuing their assessment as they were busy getting booked/scheduled services out the door before the weekend.  They've set aside a block on Monday to continue the assessment apparently.

:link: IMG_20150107_173547.jpg - Google Drive
  • 2010 i30cw crdi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Yuck
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My guess is that sludge is what's left when all the water dissipates and steam forces out the remaining last little bit of super heated ( boiled ) coolant :undecided:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Which pipe was the steam coming out of? Was the cap on?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've never seen any coolant under any conditions form a substance like that. If it did, it would be detrimental to the internal cooling channels in the head. I'll go so far as to say that isn't coolant. It looks more like a chemical reaction possibly between air conditioner refrigerant and some other material. I assume it still looks like that after cooling and time.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Won't be AC that is totally independent from the cooling system. Its sod's law that something happens after a car as been into the workshop and later something fails shortly afterwards, I've come across this many times when i was on the spanners. Unless it had a coolant flush and it  had a air pocket when refilled and not properly checked and vented.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol: I know the systems are totally independent.

Hy do advise keeping an eye on the coolant level for up to 2 weeks after a flush/ renewal. Just surprised that a substance like that could be created by anything coolant associated. Hopefully, we'll be suitably informed. I do agree that an A/C failure of any sort would be highly unlikely and very coincidental.

Offline Mosley

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
I reckon that if fluid was leaking all over the engine, it could only be one thing . . . Loose hose after the service and it blew off. Hot day, air con = pressure on the coolant system and if anything is loose, blown hoses can occur. GENERALLY, if the engine runs dry the temp gauge wont work until the burning oil sets it off, at which stage the temp gauge goes through the roof and wont come down, usually damaging the head gasket by the time it starts rising. Lucky for the warranty and that the servicers are being compassionate. I feel for you ☺
  • 2012 i30 Tourer Elite

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I had a substance like that on the Ba Falcon when the cooling pipe that ran from the auto via the radiator corroded mixing the transmission fluid and coolant. I was lucky to catch it in time, hundreds wouldn't.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Just read the OP again and you mentioned 'whirring noise from driver's side of engine'

this could be water pump failure, its not uncommon on some make of cars for the water pump to fail I know we dont have cambelts but when changing cambelts its always adviced that you have your water pump changed at the same time.

just another thought to throw at it

Offline cbai30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Weston, ACT

Hi guys, thanks for the ongoing comments, much appreciated.

We rang the dealer again yesterday but unfortunately all the guys from the work shop had gone home, so we haven't had an update.  Will try again today.

Mosley, I think you may be on the money...I sure hope you're on the money!  When I moved the car out into the street in the morning, the temperature gauge had gone back down to 'cold', and didn't rise exponentially (noting I moved the car maybe 50-75m)

Cheers.
  • 2010 i30cw crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi guys, thanks for the ongoing comments, much appreciated.

We rang the dealer again yesterday but unfortunately all the guys from the work shop had gone home, so we haven't had an update.  Will try again today.

Mosley, I think you may be on the money...I sure hope you're on the money!  When I moved the car out into the street in the morning, the temperature gauge had gone back down to 'cold', and didn't rise exponentially (noting I moved the car maybe 50-75m)

Cheers.

Without sounding too negative, don't rely too much on the temperature gauge. Unfortunately these things aren't very accurate by all accounts (in most cars) They often don't hit the red until the damage is done!  :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The next (best/worst) thing to an oil warning light, often called the idiot light because the damage may already be done. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cbai30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Weston, ACT

So we heard back from the dealership today. They've currently pulled the engine apart, and are looking to see if the coolant could some how have become contaminated.  They intend to (this is according to the person who runs the service desk...so it may have been a lay person speaking to a lay person) to 'wash' each part separately, and then 'flush the whole system' before putting it back together.

This is at the direction of Hyundai Australia, who believed (not sure why...as they hadn't seen it...must have been by virtue of the verbal run down provided by the mechanic) that it was not the head gasket.  Either way, this flushing/cleansing (ritual?) is the first step, before then looking at the head gasket possibility.  To my mind, I would think you could knock out the head gasket issue relatively easily by actually inspecting for cracks, and using a level/some other device to measure for warps in the head.  Again, I'm a lay person though!

Anyway, they said they'd keep us updated...we're happy they're doing a thorough job (by the sounds of it; the engine was described as being 'all in hundreds of pieces') and are content for them to take their time to sort the issue out. 

Cheers.
  • 2010 i30cw crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

All sounds a bit odd, but as long as it is all documented on their files so if you have engine issues after the 5 year warranty runs out you will still be covered. Keep any correspondence or messages you receive.  :goodjob:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Anyway, they said they'd keep us updated...we're happy they're doing a thorough job (by the sounds of it; the engine was described as being 'all in hundreds of pieces') and are content for them to take their time to sort the issue out. 

Cheers.

You Sir are one of the good ones. Much appreciated.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As I stated before, the coolant wouldn't produce a residue like that without some other component being involved as well. The engine pull down is a necessity to reestablish the cooling paths. Your cyl head may be stuffed as a result of this contamination (warped or can't be cleaned) and may need to be replaced.
Do keep us informed on what the contaminant is, otherwise I won't be able to sleep at night, not knowing.  :lol:

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
That residue could be a chemical reaction due to the coolant inhibitor boiling.  just like when you boil a pan of milk which turns to froth .

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal