i30 Owners Club

Nearly killed by maniac in a truck: Time to get a Dashcam!

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

• Adelaide Hills and beyond

So on our morning commute to work on Monday we (the wife and I) were pretty much nearly killed by a lunatic in a trip truck who was going so fast around a bend we were negotiating that his trailer he was towing lost traction and swung over into our bit of road. I'm talking about a good 45° angle of swing here, smoking tyres, the works, before it pulled back straight as I was swerving off the side of the road...

Needless to say, this guy needs to be dealt with, and good proof of his lunacy is footage, so I got onto Dashcams Australia and got myself this and the power pack for parking mode.
Now I just gotta find an auto electrician to install it as I don't want to potentially void any car warranty by doing a home installation.

Edit: in posting this story on FB, a friend of ours who uses a part of the same road we were on, said that she's been run off the road twice by we think the very same driver, so there's a pattern emerging here of extremely dangerous driving.
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch Petrol 2.0lt Manual Go Platinum Silver

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That looks good.
Can you give us a report after installation, please?
Also, roughly what is that unit worth?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

That looks good.
Yeah I researched them a while ago but only bit the bullet after this incident, so the brand and model aren't spur of the moment purchases. I tend to never buy "blind" if you get my meaning, and I'll happily report back when it's up and running :goodjob2:

As for cost:
Dash cam $406
Power pack $55

They even threw a strawberry flavoured Chupa Chup in with the packing beans :rofl:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Edit: in posting this story on FB, a friend of ours who uses a part of the same road we were on, said that she's been run off the road twice by we think the very same driver, so there's a pattern emerging here of extremely dangerous driving.

A Face book friend  :rolleyes:  has been run OFF the road TWICE ( apparently unreported TWICE) "by we think the very same driver"

Guess that proves it!   :rofl:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They even threw a strawberry flavoured Chupa Chup in with the packing beans :rofl:
I had a big smile on my face when I noticed Dashcams Australia had put a Chupa Chup in there too, I hadn't had one of them since I was a child :happyjumper:

My BlackVue 900s also came with the Power Magic Pro kit, was a free bonus but I sent that to Gonz as a freebie ( he wasn't getting the Chupa Chup :) ) because I also purchased the Cellink battery pack for parking mode so I had no extra drain on the car battery.

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

A Face book friend  :rolleyes:  has been run OFF the road TWICE ( apparently unreported TWICE) "by we think the very same driver"

Guess that proves it!   :rofl:
Kinda sorta...but from what I've seen on Dashcams Australia there's definitely more than one mud-carter dickhead in every state, so maybe we've encountered 3 separate tools.
Also our region has a bunch of mines and quarries, so there's a lot of these trucks coming and going, but yeah, in all likelihood it's just the one knobjockey driving it like it's stolen. :P

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

I had a big smile on my face when I noticed Dashcams Australia had put a Chupa Chup in there too, I hadn't had one of them since I was a child :happyjumper:

My BlackVue 900s also came with the Power Magic Pro kit, was a free bonus but I sent that to Gonz as a freebie ( he wasn't getting the Chupa Chup :) ) because I also purchased the Cellink battery pack for parking mode so I had no extra drain on the car battery.
Yeah I chuckled, that's a nice touch :snigger:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Mikkantoo ,

Mate, I think dash cam is an excellent accessory.
Without doubting your word, it would have been interesting to see the whole scene . What actually happened and what, in the heat of the moment, did you miss?

Unlike the average motorist, 95% of the heavy haulage drivers are extremely skilled. If they arent, they are dead.

This truck was braking for a reason, why?

Last year, on a local country road, I was following a laden truck at about 90kph. Two cyclists suddenly swung out in front of it as they avoided a pothole. Driver swung into the oncoming lane to avoid them, just as another truck rounded the corner.
Tyres smoked and two steel missiles narrowly missed each other, and two undeserving cyclists lived.

Had your farsebook lady been travelling behind the second truck,  SHE would have been oblivious to the cause of this event and could faithfully relay to her 8000 friends, vivid details of her near death experience.
 :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 22:31:20 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

That looks good.
Finally dropping the PD off at the auto electricians in the morning to get it hardwired in.
The wife and I are doing a week-long road trip into Victoria next week so I'll report back once we get back :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ah Adelaide, home of possibly the most unaware, least savvy drivers ever. :rolleyes:
Port Wakefield Rd heading south in a 60 zone, overtaken on the extreme left by a 'professional race driver' doing 90, has the gall to give me a dirty look for being in HIS way, I sign '60' to him, he looks as if he's considering hitting the chocks and front-ending me ... until he sees me pointing up at my dashcam. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal