i30 Owners Club

Could I replace my head unit/infotainment system with one from AliExpress?

R0B · 6 · 2992

Offline R0B

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I'm not the biggest fan of the little head unit on my i30, it's okay but minor things annoy me and I feel like running a more Android based system would be useful for customising things.

Has anyone had any experience using one of these? Or at least know if it would be as simple a case of me popping out the old one and plugging in the new one (mainly worried about having reversing camera auto-popup when in gear).
  • 2017 (MY 2018) PD 5 Door Hatch 1.6LT, Auto, White (SR Premium)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't think I've heard of anyone on here replacing their PD head units as of yet :undecided: you can always be the first  :)

Offline dinkydong

• 2nd Gear
Not sure where you are located but over in Singapore, many of the i30 PD owners have already changed to an Android head unit similar to the one in your link above. Works great.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not sure where you are located but over in Singapore, many of the i30 PD owners have already changed to an Android head unit similar to the one in your link above. Works great.

What is the main benefit of the swap. Hyundai infotainment scores well in reviews and I'm happy with mine. Only thing is that Android auto seems to run hot and cold. Brilliant when it works but frustrating when it doesn't.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline dinkydong

• 2nd Gear
Our local models do not come with a decent Hyundai entertainment unit. The cars come with a 5 inch unit and the local dealer upgrades it to a 3rd part 9 inch win ce unit which is very limited in functionality. By swapping to an Android unit, it's like having an android tablet in yr car. U can run various android apps, Google map, waze, torque obd app to monitor yr car linked via a bt obd adapter, display tyre pressure and temp in the HU, play multimedia content, playback music files in various formats including flacc files.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Our local models do not come with a decent Hyundai entertainment unit. The cars come with a 5 inch unit and the local dealer upgrades it to a 3rd part 9 inch win ce unit which is very limited in functionality. By swapping to an Android unit, it's like having an android tablet in yr car. U can run various android apps, Google map, waze, torque obd app to monitor yr car linked via a bt obd adapter, display tyre pressure and temp in the HU, play multimedia content, playback music files in various formats including flacc files.

Cheers, thanks for that. So less of an upgrade for our 8" units which do quite a few of those things already.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal