i30 Owners Club

Recent Posts

ENGINE BAY / MK1 G4FA - Accelaration pedal sensitivity
« Last post by Exelixis April 14, 2024, 12:34:35 »
Dear members,
Nice to meet you!
I write this message as i would love to read your opinions about what i am trying to find out. It's all about to get a more sensitive accelaration (gas) pedal.

I recently ordered a race chip XLR which is actually what i am trying to archive however i am very dissapointed as i realised that there is no any throttle sensor inside the car. This sensor is on the throttle body in engine bay with part number: 35170 26910.

I attach more images.

Thank you very much!
Hi there, Exelixis :D

:welcome: to the forum.
Hello from Greece!
I am a i30 1st generation owner since 2014 and i am really grateful that i can write this message to all co-i30 owners from all over the world!
GENERAL / Did you buy enough brake fluid?
« Last post by BrendanP April 13, 2024, 19:36:37 »
I ordered a litre of Mannol brake fluid from an online seller recently to renew my brake fluid. On delivery, I noticed it was 2 small bottles which I naturally assumed to be 0.5 litre each. When I finally got around to doing the job, I noticed on closer inspection that they were 16 oz, 454g. It seems bizarre to sell a liquid by weight, not volume. After I finished I had drained 0.85 litre of old fluid and having emptied both bottles the level in the reservoir was below where it was when I started, so I don't think they contained any more than 0.8 litre.

Moral of the story is to check how big the bottle is before you buy.
Sorry, it has done 82,000 miles.
GENERAL / Replacing GD rear brake caliper
« Last post by BrendanP April 11, 2024, 23:46:25 »
I replaced the rear right caliper on my 2015 1.6 CRDi today. This is with manual handbrake. The handbrake had become quite slack lately, pulling up the mat in the centre console cubby-hole I could see that the handbrake cable on the right side was having to be pulled further forward with the handbrake on, indicating it was that side that was faulty.

With the wheel off and handbrake off (chock the front wheels), I could see that the crank that is pulled by the brake cable hadn't sprung back all the way so the shaft which passes through the back of the caliper body is seizing up, no doubt due to corrosion. Before taking the old caliper off, I'd suggest loosening off the brake hose banjo bolt, then tighten it lightly. It's easier to loosen off when the caliper is firmly held. After undoing the caliper retaining bolts, lift the old caliper away from the pads and wind the piston in to expel fluid out of the caliper. Detach the handbrake cable and tuck the old caliper out of the way.

Before offering up the new caliper, wind the piston out as far as it will go whilst still being able to slide it over the pads. I used vernier calipers to measure the thickness of pad + disc + pad, then wound the piston out until the gap from the piston to the caliper body was slightly wider. The slots in the piston face have to be in the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions to fit over the pip in the back of the disc pad, so you can only wind the piston in or out in increments of half a turn.

Once the caliper is secured by the two bolts, transfer the brake hose from the old caliper to the new one as quickly as possible to minimise fluid loss. Tighten the banjo bolt to 35Nm, and wipe away any brake fluid off the caliper. Bleed air out of the caliper and press the brake pedal a few times to advance the pads up to the disc. Check there are no leaks. Fit the handbrake cable to the crank on the new caliper, I had to reach down into the centre console and slacken off the handbrake adjuster nut by 18 clicks (9 turns) in order to get the eye in the end of the cable over the hook on the crank. I retightened the adjuster nut by 10 clicks at which point the handbrake seemed tight enough. Once I've taken it out for a test drive and the caliper has had a chance to bed in I'll re-adjust as necessary.

GENERAL / 2011 FD CW boot(trunk) won't open.
« Last post by ct555 April 09, 2024, 09:31:04 »
Hi all,

I have a 2011 i30 CW, diesel.

I currently am unable to open to boot(trunk) from the outside, i have to go through the rear door, fold down the back seats , climb into the boot and unlock it manually. Great fun with 2 child seats in the back!!Has anyone solved this issue before?

is it more likely i need to replace the locking mechanism part or the button/switch that is pushed to open. If so, is it worth the effort of DIY'ing it or is it easier to take to a mechanic to save the hassle?

I am an Aussie living in Sweden, so any recommendations from any Swedes as to best parts stores to buy from would also be helpful.

Thanks

Corey
DIESEL / GD clutch hose clip
« Last post by BrendanP April 09, 2024, 00:04:41 »
A while ago I posted a topic about strapping the clutch hose on with cable ties. This is for those cars with a coaxial slave cylinder buried away inside the bell housing, with a plastic spigot that pokes out and the clutch hose is a push fit with a snap clip to hold it in place. Unfortunately the snap clip broke allowing the hose to separate from the spigot so you end up with a non-working clutch and a puddle of hydraulic fluid in the undertray.

Hyundai won't supply the snap clip alone, you have to buy a complete hose which is around £100, so I held the hose on with cable ties as a temporary measure. A couple of years later, the cable ties broke and I was back to square 1. Fortunately, I found that Vauxhall did supply snap clips which looked very similar, so I bought a couple seeing as they were only about £2 each. I've included a photo of the new clip alongside the original broken clip. The gap from the first kink in the wire to the top is smaller, but when I pushed it in there was a pretty firm click as it seated around the groove in the spigot, and it hasn't popped out in the few weeks since I fitted it. Vauxhall part number is 90512780

For good measure, I also decided to try and get the proper o-ring that seals the connection. It's now impossible to ring the parts departments of my nearest Hyundai dealers, you have to fill in an online enquiry form and wait a few days for a reply. The Kia dealers do have a person that picks up the phone and when I gave them the part number for the o-ring it was about £5. Not only did they not have stock but they've never ordered any. They told me I should just get an o-ring set and pick one out that seemed the best fit. That's what I did, pick one out from the set of assorted o-rings I already had.

I dispensed with fitting the cable ties as extra security, I think the offset tension pulls the hose off-centre and it doesn't seal so well. I carry some in the car though, just in case.

GENERAL / Re: Tailgate or boot switch for 2019 nline i30
« Last post by Shambles April 08, 2024, 21:17:48 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal