i30 Owners Club

Recent Posts

PETROL / Re: GD 2014 1.8L Spark Plugs: Gap
« Last post by TerryT April 08, 2024, 04:58:25 »
Hi Sankar.  I couldn't see the photo that you posted of your feeler gauge until now, which has prompted me say.... 

I mentioned in my first post about using a quality feeler gauge.  Yours, being made in China is in itself not a bad thing IF the individual gauge blades were manufactured to correct specifications.  And many cheap feeler gauges don't hold individual blades as thick as say, "1.0mm" which means one has to combine two blades to make up "1.0mm". 

Did you have to use two feeler blades 'pressed' together to find your NGK plug gap?  If you did, you should understand that that requires more care when measuring as there is a higher risk for a false reading than using just one blade to get your "0.98mm".  It’s something to keep in mind for future spark plug gapping. :)

IMO (based on tech material I read years ago) a plug gap measuring tool that uses "wire" lips/tips is better than a standard feeler gauge that uses "blades".  I have included photos of some of the spark plug measuring tools I have in my toolboxes.  While these tools happen to be made in the USA, more importantly my vernier calipers confirm their +/- accuracy is more than acceptable for me.  (Photos #1~#4 included in my first post were just stock images off the Internet).

Tool#5

Tool #6

Tools 7 & 8
PETROL / Hyundai i30 Auto 2019 - shudding or stall at pickup and slowing.
« Last post by Chatu April 07, 2024, 22:29:55 »
Hi everyone,
I have a 2019 i30 auto petrol 1.4 T-GDi, done 820000 miles. All services done at dealership and use premium fuel. So I believe plugs are changed at 60k hence less carbon. I owned the car since 78000, just about a year now.
I am noticing a strong shudding when pickup or when moving slow on a slight hill. Once engine came to a stall, similar to when clutch was not balanced properly on a manual. This gets worse when I have more people travelling on my car.

Any clues or anyone experienced this before?

I recently did the warranty check, nothing was detected by the dealership.
I feel this could be related to throttle body, and hopefully not related to automatic gearbox.
GENERAL / Re: With new batteries the fobs don’t work
« Last post by eye30 April 07, 2024, 11:15:22 »
Do you have a 2nd key fob you can try to rule out issue with door mechanism
Welcome
Hi  and  :welly3:

Almost 60 and still keen to study? Wow. Top Man :goodjob:
Hi there, VanBelleJean :D

:welcome: to the forum.
Hello folks,

i am an almost 60 years young guy and adept for non AdBlue dieselsMy son showing on Good Friday before Eastern how he stopped a thief at the Fair who stole a purse (he shows or with me as example, haha).

Now that my Opel Vivaro 2016 1.6l gets close to 500.000 km and my Honda FRV 2006 2.2l diesel close to 400.000 kl, it got time to buy a secondhand Hyundai i30 1.4 to brake more fuel economy records between Bulgaria and Belgium and back. Will probably drive with it to Russia as well as i would like to stufy at Saint Petersburg and Moskou as well because of their very high level of Universities on the field of psychology.

You will see that i am raised the spartan way between 11 children en did the same with my son, with surprising good results (he now earns a lot of money in the Belgian army with NATO missions, i am more the non capitalist guy so we have the same education principles but i am more the non materialist opposing to him, haha).

You will read more from me next months, your forum is great!!!

Jean Marc (Charles André) Van Belle
Жан Марк Ван Белл (is the same but in cyrillic easyier script)

GENERAL / Re: With new batteries the fobs don’t work
« Last post by Aye30 April 07, 2024, 07:11:15 »
Hi, which part of the remote is not working? Door unlocking or key not starting car?
« Last post by TerryT April 07, 2024, 02:01:18 »
Thanks @TerryT

Great detail. I have mechanical aptitude and some theoretical knowledge but have to admit not having the experience most will have. I have a feeler gauge (pix below) which gave me the 0.98...but again have to admit, not being a Virgo :D, haven't checked the accuracy. I get your point though and take it onboard. Last time I changed sparks, on my Ford, I didn't change the factory preset. Worked a charm. Based on your suggestion I'll do the same this time around too. When I took the measurement the other day, I did gingerly insert the feeler gauge since I was aware of the sensitive Iridium. I'd rather not mess with it again. Every extra touch is an unnecessary one.

Cheers,
Sankar

Hi Sankar, thanks for the reply.  You sound like you know what you're doing.  Feeler gauges are okay and, if they are a quality brand and the blade used was first wiped clean/dry, they will give you an accurate or close enough measurement for this application. 

« Last post by SankarAu April 06, 2024, 15:01:42 »
Thanks @TerryT

Great detail. I have mechanical aptitude and some theoretical knowledge but have to admit not having the experience most will have. I have a feeler gauge (pix below) which gave me the 0.98...but again have to admit, not being a Virgo :D, haven't checked the accuracy. I get your point though and take it onboard. Last time I changed sparks, on my Ford, I didn't change the factory preset. Worked a charm. Based on your suggestion I'll do the same this time around too. When I took the measurement the other day, I did gingerly insert the feeler gauge since I was aware of the sensitive Iridium. I'd rather not mess with it again. Every extra touch is an unnecessary one.

Cheers,
Sankar

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal