i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230852

Offline kirstenp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Head unit is the latest software.
I can’t find anything under ‘CarPlay’ in settings. The vehicle doesn’t come up 😩
And Siri is definitely enabled. If I clock on the ‘voice’ button on the head unit it will activate Siri and lets me request things and answers all through the car.
But I’m still unable to select ‘apple CarPlay’ on the head unit. I’ll attach a photo. The option is there but it’s not lit up.

• 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You should see in the phone carplay setting whats pictured below

If you're not seeing these options and with the other issues described of still charging but no carplay sync then I can only assume there is possibly a fault with either the lightning USB cable or possibly the interconnecting cable between the USB module and head unit., was the genuine interconnecting cable from the donor vehicle used?

You could also try running the firmware file again followed by initialising the system, sometimes the update needs two goes at it.

Offline kirstenp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Definitely not seeing that as an option on my phone 😩

And no it’s Not the original cable from the donor vehicle. The guys at the wreckers used a pair of side cutters to take the head unit & AUX/USB jack assembly out. So the chord was cut in 2. I got one end but they said they couldn’t get the other 😩 so I made a chord using an old computer fan cable. The pin sequence is all correct and I know I’ve got all the wiring correct. Yet still no luck.

Might cut my loss and just use the head unit for Bluetooth audio & radio! At least I can still charge my phone on the USB.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 19:42:53 by kirstenp »
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Definitely not seeing that as an option on my phone 😩

And no it’s Not the original cable from the donor vehicle. The guys at the wreckers used a pair of side cutters to take the head unit & USB jack assembly out. I made a chord using an old computer fan. The pin sequence is all correct and I know I’ve got all the wiring correct. Yet still no luck.

Might cut my loss and just use the head unit for Bluetooth audio & radio! At least I can still charge my phone on the USB.
Reported symptoms all pointed to a lead/cable fault, you can purchase the lead via Hyundai or Koraps or via a link posted previously in this topic that aanastasiou4 placed  https://www.fourgreen.com/store/mobile/prodView.asp?idProduct=6145963#mobileMain

Well worth getting the correct cable for such a handy feature, don't think I could go back to a car without AA/CP now that I'm used to it :)

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Definitely not seeing that as an option on my phone

And no it’s Not the original cable from the donor vehicle. The guys at the wreckers used a pair of side cutters to take the head unit & USB jack assembly out. I made a chord using an old computer fan. The pin sequence is all correct and I know I’ve got all the wiring correct. Yet still no luck.

Go on your iPhone. Settings > Screen time > Content & Privacy Restrictions (if off turn it on) > Allowed apps. Make sure that carplay is on from there.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Go on your iPhone. Settings > Screen time > Content & Privacy Restrictions (if off turn it on) > Allowed apps. Make sure that carplay is on from there.
Screen time should be disabled by default unless manually switched on.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Apple carplay should be turned ON from restrictions so idk maybe he somehow turned it off that's why I had to mention the above process. It's very weird for the headunit not to recognise  apple carplay when the phone is plugged in!
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Apple carplay should be turned ON from restrictions so idk maybe he somehow turned it off because it's very weird for the headunit not to recognise  apple carplay when the phone is plugged in!
Did you miss the part where the interconnecting cable used was home made :whistler: :D

And I meant the complete Screen time function should be default disabled at the home screen which would in turn mean that any options there after should not be available, which is how I have mine set.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Yes I did miss the part which says that the cable was homemade! Now that is the reason hahahah

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
Try some of the steps on this page if CarPlay isn’t showing in iPhone settings>general

:link:CarPlay trouble shooting

If you get no luck then you may need to buy a genuine usb cable for the head unit. Have you tried a usb stick with music or another phone?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 23:21:35 by StokeyBry »
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So I have a late 2012 GD i30 Premium model, with the sat nav head unit. I just bought the NON sat nav GD-03 and was delivered today. I hit “buy” just before I realised this might be quite a big job, as I think this requires quite a lot of rewiring etc. Not to mention a new fascia.

Two questions. First, am I right in thinking this is quite a big job?
Second, I’d say this is too hard for me to do myself, and what car audio installation places do you trust and recommend to get this job done?

Thanks!
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 Premium GD

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
Not a big job at all it’s all plug and play, but you may have to use the facia from your current head unit for the gd-03
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not a big job at all it’s all plug and play, but you may have to use the facia from your current head unit for the gd-03
You can't swap the head unit fascia from a NAV to GD-03 as the buttons are different, you would need to swap the climate control fascia from current Premium to Active (base model).

Everything else should be plug and play I think :undecided:

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Great - I've been looking at getting a standard fascia, but it doesn't seem like anyone is selling them without the actual controls. Thinking I could get it for much cheaper if I could find that. Any ideas here?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Any ideas here?
No wrecker will separate the aircon fascia, they would be left with a aircon module that they couldn't sell.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Great - I've been looking at getting a standard fascia, but it doesn't seem like anyone is selling them without the actual controls. Thinking I could get it for much cheaper if I could find that. Any ideas here?
If you get the whole unit, the glossy black trim can be pulled off and installed on your current climate unit.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Any ideas here?
No wrecker will separate the aircon fascia, they would be left with a aircon module that they couldn't sell.

Thanks Craig - I figured that might be the case. Wasn’t sure if 3rd parties might sell this part aftermarket or something. Will have to get the full unit in that case.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Any ideas here?

Thanks Craig - I figured that might be the case. Wasn’t sure if 3rd parties might sell this part aftermarket or something. Will have to get the full unit in that case.
Yes! Get the cheapest one you can find but make sure that the glossy part is not full of scratches

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear
Definitely not seeing that as an option on my phone

And no it’s Not the original cable from the donor vehicle. The guys at the wreckers used a pair of side cutters to take the head unit & AUX/USB jack assembly out. So the chord was cut in 2. I got one end but they said they couldn’t get the other so I made a chord using an old computer fan cable. The pin sequence is all correct and I know I’ve got all the wiring correct. Yet still no luck.

Contact this seller  (ultimatejap)on eBay and ask him for the OEM cable.

Offline itsonlyaudio

• 1st Gear

• Warsaw, PL
I would be very surprised if it's the cable. There's nothing special about it, I measured it when I repaired mine and it's simply 4 x 2 feet of copper.

Did you follow the full instructions while upgrading? There are several parts to it, and afterwards you are supposed to do a full settings reset. Did you do all of these?
  • i30cw 2013 1.6 auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I would be very surprised if it's the cable. There's nothing special about it, I measured it when I repaired mine and it's simply 4 x 2 feet of copper.
You can get away with repaired cables on Android Auto but Apple CarPlay is extremely fussy when it comes to cables.

If the chip doesn’t receive the correct voltage or sync data then the phone will charge but will be unable to recognise CarPlay.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 20:33:35 by CraigB »

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear

Did you follow the full instructions while upgrading? There are several parts to it, and afterwards you are supposed to do a full settings reset. Did you do all of these?
You fix the unit?

Offline itsonlyaudio

• 1st Gear

• Warsaw, PL
I soldered together the two ends of the cable. It was cut by ultimatejap's dismantlers.

4 wires and a shield. Nothing to it. We're not talking about GHz signals through these cables. If we were, I'd have used the spectrum analyzer to to a DTF analysis.

It took me 10 minutes, 7 of which was making spent on a cup of coffee.

• i30cw 2013 1.6 auto

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear
I soldered together the two ends of the cable. It was cut by ultimatejap's dismantlers.

4 wires and a shield. Nothing to it. We're not talking about GHz signals through these cables. If we were, I'd have used the spectrum analyzer to to a DTF analysis.

It took me 10 minutes, 7 of which was making spent on a cup of coffee.
Now all good?

Offline Josty74

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Pottsville nsw
Just wanted to thank you and follow up posters regarding the upgrade to gd03 with Apple CarPlay/android auto.  :goodjob2: After sourcing the correct unit, following the excellent instructions and updating the software as per instructions on this site, wifey thinks she married a genius and is even more happy with her little wagon! You guys are so clever!
  • 2015 i30 tourer crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just wanted to thank you and follow up posters regarding the upgrade to gd03 with Apple CarPlay/android auto.  :goodjob2: After sourcing the correct unit, following the excellent instructions and updating the software as per instructions on this site, wifey thinks she married a genius and is even more happy with her little wagon! You guys are so clever!

Thanks for the feedback.  :happydance:

Awesome to hear some good news in 2020.. it has been thin on the ground.  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline skipper_vp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hello, guys! Today i've bought GD-03 and already installed it (unfortunately without USB and camera). It was a piece of cake.
So here's the question - is there a chance to find USB cable or 2mm 4pin connector tomorrow in Sydney? I was in Jaycar and Strathfield car audio - they don't have anything similar.
  • 2013 diesel wagon

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hello, guys! Today i've bought GD-03 and already installed it (unfortunately without USB and camera). It was a piece of cake.
So here's the question - is there a chance to find USB cable or 2mm 4pin connector tomorrow in Sydney? I was in Jaycar and Strathfield car audio - they don't have anything similar.
If you want to guarantee correct functionality I'd stick with genuine, I believe the are some links placed further back in this topic to Koraps...or obtain from another wrecker or Hyundai.

You'll need the USB module as well to complete the connection.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Why no camera? My camera works fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal