Road Rage kills

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Not exactly world news...

:link: Logan man charged with murder after alleged road rage - 9news.com.au

Apparently due to road-rage... was pushed in front of a garbage truck.   One to two days prior there was a (double) fatality not very far away, also southbound, also involving a truck (HC) - at first I thought it was the same thing.   Person has been charged with murder...

:link: New Zealander accused of pushing man into traffic in Queensland road rage attack faces court - 9news.com.au

Apparently the accused is a kiwi man who is devastated - reportedly he was going to get married next week in NZ after returning to NZ permanently before the marriage.

Also reportedly, though maybe it is simply a mistake by the reporter in the article (first one), he was here on a 'work visa' - interesting as people on subclass 444 visa (most Kiwis who aren't permanent resident or also Australian) don't need one (a time limited visa tied to continuing employment), the other one they are likely to have is one of the permanent resident visa (also usually not referred to as a 'work visa' being while it may be sponsored through employment it isn't tied to it or continuing employment once issued) on the path to become a citizen.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
This is interesting and very sad.
IMHO (layman), there's no way they'll make a murder charge stick. They'll never prove he intended to push the guy into the truck. My observation in these sorts of cases has been that they downgrade to Manslaughter, especially if he'll plead guilty.
The whole incident should never have happened of course. Stopping to "resolve" a road rage incident is a no no - for both parties. Unless of course there was actually contact between their vehicles.

Although they've stopped reporting it now, a number of the original reports suggested the older man was the aggressor and the Kiwi pushed him away.

However, very sad for all concerned, especially for the totally innocent truck driver - and all their families.

He might be lucky and come up before "soft touch" Callaghan.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Yup - it is very sad.   As you say for all involved.  And yes about resolving road rage and/or contact.

Hadn't caught up with reports the older man was the aggressor - however I have seen that once in person and a couple of times on video (older guys, generally not in top shape, having a go at younger persons).

Though that potentially makes more sense as, unless you were an idiot and/or drunk, etc., if you were leaving permanently and getting married within the week - why would pick a fight on the 'side' (actually center shoulder/split) of the motorway?   Instead of being like 'oh well, in a week the chances he will ever do that to me again are very small - so whatever'.

Yeah - I hope the truck driver is able to cope with it in time.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The may well plea bargain as you say, Trev.
But in W.A. at least (I think Qld may have amended their Criminal Code) we have Wilfull Murder and Murder.
Wilfull Murder being the more serious where prior intent is formed.
Manslaughter is the next one down.
Qld & WA have very similar Criminal Codes in most respects though.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The bad news/sad stories never seem to slow down do they! :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I know.
I've got an ingrowing toenail now.   :disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I know.
I've got an ingrowing toenail now.   :disapp:

I've had so many of those, I fix them myself now!  :victory: They can be painful! :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal