i30 Owners Club

check engine light, o2/cat

Offline Gecko Tourer

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Hi everyone, im a noob, so go easy for my first question.
my check engine light has come on and off and on again, I have talked to my mechanic and he says the code is the catalytic converter, he reset it and if it comes back on take it to the dealer ,because its still under warranty ( for 1 more month)
it just turned off again.
 ok here is the decider
the petrol prices were high at the time so I splashed 10Lt of E10 (engine light came on)
went back to 98 premium ( engine ight went off eventually)
Also in the Hyundai hand book it says im not allowed to use any ethanol or methanol based fuels ( which can void warranty)

Does anyone have an idea if Hyundai will fix it under warranty if the engine light is off and the system logs a problem
  • 2014 i30 tourer active 1.6 GDi 4door wagon

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day Gecko,
 :i30:
Book  usually says 10%,  E10 is okay, that what we get in Australia.
Running on 98 all the time is a little excessive.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The light shouldn't come on if E10 is listed as compatible, the CAT or sensor could possibly be on it's way out though unlikely unless it's very high km's :undecided: I reckon Hyundai will just turn around and say don't use E10  :undecided:

Best to still mention it to the dealer anyway.

Offline Gecko Tourer

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
The car has only done 70k, and the owners manual section 1 - 4 I think, says no to any methanol, and the guy at the service desk said don't tell anyone about e10 because it could void my warranty...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome GT,

My Wife had an identical car for over 4 years until recently when we traded it on a new Kona. I'm sure it was ok to use E10!

I reckon the warning on ethanol is for straight ethanol or E85, not E10. I reckon it's just a coincidence.  :undecided:

Take it to the dealer and if they can't replicate it, at least make sure you put something in writing by email and get them to acknowledge it.   

Methanol is not ethanol (completely different thing)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
No wonder I was getting no buzz out of my crystal eth! :crazy1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
METHANOL can't be bought at the pump.
Great stuff  :happydance:, though usually  used in the  drag racing world.

Crystal eth  !   :rofl: onya gonz .

Offline Gecko Tourer

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
ok, time for a catchup.
So engine light came on, my mechanic said it was the catalytic converter, Tynan (Hyundai service centre (very dodge people)) said its the o2 sensor and they will fix it.
when I went to pick it up he told me that these cars have 2 o2 sensors and its possible that both can go at the same time.
a couple days later engine light came back on, took it back to them and they said its the other o2 sensor this one was the downstream one.
ok I said and they fixed it.
ok today the engine light came back on and I took it back to my mechanic to get another reading ( so I can ram it down tynans throat), he said it was the catalytic converter the same problem as last time.
so I walked into tynans and retold the same guy that I had been talking to the whole story again (slightly passive aggressive).
ok so the cars is booked in for this Wednesday.
in the mean time I called Hyundai Australia and told them the whole story mentioning pre-existing problems, and the guy assured me that even though my car is out of warranty in 2 days, if the problem is the same or similar it will be covered under warranty

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Crow calls -Farrrkk!   :disapp:
How about a loaner and free services for being f#cked around so badly .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that! Sounds like they got their qualifications out of a weeties packet.  :head_knock:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
ok, time for a catchup.
So engine light came on, my mechanic said it was the catalytic converter, Tynan (Hyundai service centre (very dodgy? people)) said its the o2 sensor and they will fix it.
when I went to pick it up he told me that these cars haveTwo o2 sensors and its possible that both can go at the same time.
a couple days later engine light came back on, took it back to them and they said its the other o2 sensor this one was the downstream one.
ok I said and they fixed it.
ok so[/color] today the engine light came back on and I took it back to my mechanic to get another reading ( so I can ram it down [T]ynans throat), he said it was the catalytic converter the same problem as last time.
so I walked into Tynans and retold the same guy that I had been talking to the whole story again (slightly passive aggressive).
ok so the car is booked in for this Wednesday.
in the mean time I called Hyundai Australia and told them the whole story mentioning pre-existing problems, and the guy assured me that even though my car is out of warranty in 2 days, if the problem is the same or similar it will be covered under warranty

Just change both O2 sensors. Easy DIY, cheap components on Ebay. Visually obvious, just you look down the exhaust system.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:24:20 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal