i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: replace door cable (drivers door will not open from inside)

petetherev · 104 · 95509

Offline petetherev

• 1st Gear
Hello everybody, I found this site after I had a problem with my wife’s i30 driver’s door not opening.  I know this has been discussed before however it was a year ago and I thought it might be an idea to resurrect it.  Mainly to expose what I consider  rip off.
The problem was a broken cable at the inside handle, I discovered that this is not an unusual fault.  Some people have suggested it was a ‘Recall Fault’, not according to my local dealer however. No real problem I thought get a new cable and fit it.  This is where the trouble started, I was informed by two different dealerships that the cable was not listed as a separate part and I would have to buy the entire lock mechanism at nearly £200 incl VAT.  I  then found out from a friendly storeman that the cable could be obtained, but it was only a service/recall part. Which suggests customers are being seriously ripped off.
Some on line have suggested that you cannot replace the cable, you can, I have done it. It is not difficult for anyone with practical skills.  First the mechanism has to be removed.  There are good U Tube clips on how to remove it see the attached links. They relate to Sonata but they are very similar.

:link: Replace 2006 Hyundai Window Regulator.wmv - YouTube
:link: Replace 2006 Hyundai rear window regulator - YouTube

The cable can be replaced quite easily once you get the broken one out it is just a case of slotting in the new one. It would be a bit trickier if the cable is broken at the catch end, as opposed the handle end, as you would have to fish for the part where the ball end attaches. The outer cable is attached with a white plastic clip which can be removed by cutting the plastic. The replacement just clips in once the inner has been attached. The only problem is getting the new cable.  If anybody wants a photo of the cable send me a e mail and I’ll send them.

• 2009 i30 1.4 Petrol, 5 Door Hatch, Red

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The cable was replaced on my Edition 1.6 petrol just before Christmas, no charge.   :Shocked: :Shocked:

Although, I am still within warranty 'JUST'  :goodjob: :goodjob:

drew peacock
these cars prone to small problems?
my work mates has gone nearly 300k km's trouble free...one of the main reasons i bought an i30..ofc after test driving it i was hooked :victory:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Is your work mate a member here  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

drew peacock
lol ofc not he has a life

only a certain type of person frequents forums i think  :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Friendly, well adjusted, knowledgeable,,,, yes, I agree. :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

drew peacock
 :scared::spot on

i'm working with him on wednesday. i'll get full odo meter readings..mpg figures and some detailed piccies for ya all
i remember him buying in new 2008 i think.still on original battery..tyres and brakes are all he's changed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:scared::spot on

i'm working with him on wednesday. i'll get full odo meter readings..mpg figures and some detailed piccies for ya all
i remember him buying in new 2008 i think.still on original battery..tyres and brakes are all he's changed

Tell him he would be a bit of a celebrity on here with that mileage. Please try and get him to join even if just to tell us his story with the car (good and bad)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

drew peacock
lol he wont
he's 61 years old and speaks almost no english..
i'll get some odo meter readings for ya all..piccies to prove it aswell..even take a piccy of the battery..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@ petetherev  :brilliant: 1st post.. Thanks for that, just two things .. How much did they charge you for just the cable? What sort of time do you reckon the job should take?

P.S. We were just wondering , are you a "man of the cloth" or a "man of the heavy right foot" ??  :snigger:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There is a TSB for the cable in the drivers door. mine was replaced free under warranty (it had not broken) 13 months ago during it's 4th annual service.

Offline petetherev

• 1st Gear
Hello,  The cable was about £8.75.  It took about 1 1/2 hours to fit, but I was finding my way.
Refer to the U Tube clips they are basically the way to do it.  The trim panel on the i30 just clips on apart from 2 screws one under the handle  and the other inside the pocket/ grab handle, the electrics have to be disconnected, two connectors and the panel comes away.  However the window glass has to be disconnect from the mechanism, to access the bolts, there two bungs on the inner panel, remove them lower the window about half way so you can access the 10mm bolts. Just loosen DO NOT REMOVE slide the window back to its closed position and tap it there. Remove the inner door handle , disconnect the cables and remove the bolts around the steel panel.  As my wife's car has electric windows, mirrors etc I left it hanging so to speak.  Free the door mechanism cables  from the panel.  Removal of the lock mechanism is as in the 'clips'.  If you can get a new cable you will be able to see how it is clipped in, if you cut little notches above the clips on the old one you will be able to get a small screw drive and release the clips or just cut the old one out and refit the new one.  I'm going try and obtain some 1mm bowden cable and the nipples and make a spare, if I can.
The Part Number of the replacement is 81371 2R000QQH but as I said before I suspect that they are not releasing them.  I was lucky. 
Regards being a Man of the Cloth the answer is no.  I was christened Petetherev when I was an apprentice many many years ago because I kept blowing up motor cycles engines.
Send me an e mail if you need any help.

Regards
Pete

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
@ Petertherev - Thanks for all the details.
My dealership (Haddocks Colchester) quoted me £300 to replace each door cable  :eek:
@ Lorian My dealership refused to replace unless broken.
The broken offside door cable was replaced under warranty - after hassle.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 19:07:15 by Mike SX »

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This is such a useful thread I've renamed it and moved it to our Tech Data section.

Thanks for the post & work, Pete :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

My dealership (Haddocks Colchester) quoted me £300 to replace each door cable  :eek:

Hyundai dealers hourly rate is a rip off. Pretty sure the tsb must be preventative or they wouldn't have done it on mine. I will see if I have the details.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Hyundai dealers hourly rate is a rip off. Pretty sure the tsb must be preventative or they wouldn't have done it on mine. I will see if I have the details.
Thanks Lorian, I look forward to seeing the details  :)

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

• 47b Hadrian's Wall, Cumbria, England
Apologies to the OP: I should've spotted this thread before.

My experience of this particular situation is that we received a letter from our Hyundai dealer in July, advising that our car's annual service was due mid-August. As we live 40 miles from the dealership, I rang up to make the appointment and book a courtesy car. During that phone call, the receptionist said that in addition to the annual service, warranty work would be done on the driver's door in light of a Hyundai UK alert issued to all UK dealerships in the wake of reports of a faulty interior cable. We knew nothing of this: our door was functioning perfectly.

In mid-August then, at around the time when our car celebrated its fourth birthday, we took it in for both its service and the driver's door work.  And that was that: a fairly hefty bill for the service, but a reduced price for the MoT and nothing at all for the cost / time involved in the door job.

The OP's car appears to be a 2009 registration, whereas mine is a 2010. I don't know if the 5-year UK warranty applied to 2009 registrations or, if it did, the warranty on the OP's had expired by the time the cable fault manifested itself. I also don't know if MikeSX's i30 was in warranty when his Hyundai dealership told him he'd have to pay for the work.

I do know, however, that if I were MikeSX and my car had been in warranty at that time, I'd be onto Hyundai UK double quick to file a formal complaint: it is impossible for a Hyundai dealership in Cumbria to be advising its customers of a manufacturer-authorised warranty repair and for another Hyundai dealership in Essex to be claiming that the customer must pay. They can't both be right. 
  • i30 Estate Premium Diesel 112PS 2010 model

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

@Flyyte.

Thanks for this. Dealer replaced the broken drivers door cable under warranty. I repeatedly asked if the passenger door cable could be replaced (as this was also a known problem) they repeatedly refused (unless it broke within the warranty period). I asked them how much it would cost, approx. £300 a door was advised by the Warranty Manager. Several weeks later I received his unedited copy April 2014 email :-

dear mr
just spoken to tech ref door cables,and they have clarified that apart from osf door cable which is recall,the other are only replaced on failure only.hope this answers your query
kind regards
Warranty Manager

I found the so called 5 year warranty a burden, and will out the vehicle with the next major problem.
During previous problems, Hyundai (UK) have been equally unhelpful and obstructive, so there is little point in pursuing them.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:50:53 by Mike SX »

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Mike: thanks for the update. -- glad you didn't have to pay anything for the driver's door work.

I am, however, concerned to learn that the issue isn't one affecting that door only, yet pre-emptive work will not be undertaken by Hyundai: the cable has to actually fail before a repair is carried out under warranty -- and if you're out of warranty, then tough.

I appreciate, it's a judgment call by Hyundai UK and that they / the manufacturer are seeking to minimise their own costs but it's a distinctly unfortunate situation when on the one hand they're accepting the existence of a manufacturer-related component fault and are acting to deal with it pre-emptively, but on the other hand are seeking to restrict the scale of their / the manufacturer's response. 

I've never had a door failure of the kind referred to here (or of any kind, for that matter) occur with any vehicle of mine in 45 years of motoring, and am a distinctly unhappy bunny at the thought that a £300 bill is in prospect should a component already acknowledged by the manufacturer to be susceptible to failure suddenly go on me when I'm out of warranty -- routine wear and tear I can accept, because stuff happens, but this is certainly not in that category.

Manufacturers and distributors need to wake up to the fact that commercial short-termism gets 'em nowhere (hello, Toyota) nor does downright dishonesty (hello Honda, and that eye-watering $multi-milliion fine it has just been hit with in the USA.) As a family, we have, in the past, had Toyotas and Hondas, yet neither of those manufacturers will we go anywhere near these days.

It's not a little ironic then that we became Hyundai owners after walking out on VAG, when in what appears to have been an effort to minimize reputational damage in 2011 / 2012 it ran a "silent recall" of vehicles with faulty injectors -- silent, because it sure as hell didn't publicise it, and we only discovered by accident about the very serious fault. We had to go to our then VAG dealership and ask about the situation, to be told that yes, our Passat SE was one of the diesel-engine vehicles that needed to be fixed, but that VAG was writing to owners "in alphabetical order" rather than alerting everyone simultaneously to the existence of a problem which actually had the potential for disastrous consequences where high-speed motorway travel was concerned. As our surname was near to the end of the alphabet, then, er, it was "one of those things" that we hadn't yet been contacted -- not even by our local dealership.

When we asked why it is incumbent on a supplier to publicly issue a recall alert in the case of a potentially hazardous product failure -- as often happens with supermarkets and other non-food retailers -- yet the giant VAG wasn't doing anything of the kind here, the answer was that VAG had not been instructed by the UK's Department of Transport that it had to go public and that, had it done so, "it wouldn't have been good for the Volkswagen name, would it?" (Full marks for honesty at least . . .)

We booked the car in for the injectors replacement, had the work done at VAG's expense, sold the car immediately afterwards and will never go anywhere near another VW (or Audi) purchase again.

It would be a bit daft for Hyundai to join the list of discredited brands -- hence why it's disheartening to hear of your experience with Hyundai UK / Andy Smith.  But perhaps, at the end of the day, the private motorist doesn't really mean much to manufacturers or national distributors: just keep the fleet sales going and never mind the little punters and their discardable goodwill????

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

@ Flyyte.
Totally agree, it would have been easier, cheaper & quicker if I'd had no warranty, and either paid (or sued) for trivial repairs; it was usually me who told the dealership how to fix some of the problems (mostly gleaned from this Club) as they usually stared at me blankly. After several years of awful problems, I was given a bill for a 54p light bulb (globe) apart from all the servicing charges.
I just love the car, but would you marry the same awkward person (dealership & Hyundai UK) again  :undecided:
Or take a chance with another manufacturer  :scared:

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

@ MikeSX: loved the question you pose -- reminds me of a long-ago conversation in the pub when a bunch of us were recovering from the sudden onset of group myopia during a darts match and one of the guys, by now in mournful mode, decided to reveal the depressing news that his wife had walked out on him after 5 years of marriage.

Attempting to cheer him up, one of my more knowledgeable friends said: 'Well, look at it like this. You haven't done too badly, apparently it's amazing, the number of marriages that suffer what they call 'irrevocable breakdown' in the first 12 months."

To which another friend responded: "They call that 'amazing'? Should try owning a Triumph Stag: surviving 3 months must count as an effin' miracle then."

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

To my recollection no one has ever reported a passenger side cable failing here.

If that is a function of design or reduced used I don't know, but I don't loose sleep over it.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

@ Flyyte - Yep, depends whether the wedding ring, ceremony & duration was cheap  :D
Nothing worse than paying a small fortune, and having a bunch of trouble  :'(
I30's are not a ridiculous price - which hopefully, you CAN sleep peacefully at night...  :D
Triumph Stags -  :evil: everybody to their own....

@Lorian - We have heard from some members (who could not open their i30 doors at all) but not had much feedback whether the cable was broken or just a simple door handle jam.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
This is the rear door not the front
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Don't forget that the front passengers door will have less use that the drivers so they may be working on the premise that lower use will not show up until after the 5th year
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Don't forget that the front passengers door will have less use that the drivers so they may be working on the premise that lower use will not show up until after the 5th year

Shurely not? Would any reputable motor manufacturer actually behave like that?  :blubber:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Lorian - We have heard from some members (who could not open their i30 doors at all) but not had much feedback whether the cable was broken or just a simple door handle jam.

That is usually another problem which rears its ugly head in Hyundais ( the actuator)

Sometimes in the doors and sometimes the tailgate ( and often intermittent)

Offline petetherev

• 1st Gear
Hello All, just a bit of an update.  I contacted Hyundai Customer Services on 19th Jan. Their agent told me that he would have to make some enquiries and would call me back.  I did not hear from him so I tried again, this time via their e mail system on the 14th, received an automated reply saying someone would  address my question and reply within 2 working days.  Still no response so undeterred I phoned again, this time the person gave me Customer Services direct e mail address, off went my e mail again. This time I did get a response which was as follows.
“The dealership was correct in saying that the whole lock mechanism had to be purchased”.
 I told the person that I thought that this was disgraceful, as to be expected in his position he agreed with me, probably hoping it would go away,  and said that he would ‘pass it up’.
 I told him and that I had purchased a replacement cable and fitted it myself and asked for an explanation, which he was unable to give. I asked if I would get an answer he said he did not know.  I will not be holding my breath.
 I told him that I was considering writing to the motoring press and exposing the Rip Off, again I doubt that if will make any difference.
I’ll give it a while and see what happens then make up my mind as to embark on a crusade or not.
Regards
Pete

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal