i30 Owners Club

Towing with i30 2013

Offline Bazza2401

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville Australia
Hi everyone I’m going camping Shortly, and I’m hiring a trailer that is a 8x5 weighted at 400kg, I’ll have max of 100-150kg of camping gear just wondering what’s the best way to have good weight distribution? Not driving far only driving just under 100km to the camp site, but have to drive on highway so will stay below 100km/s to stop sway.
Any help is well appreciated
Don’t need comments about how my car isnt the most powerful to tow I get that but I think my car is powerful enough for weight of 500-600kg
  • I30 se 2013 2 door

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What's the maximum allowed ball weight for the vehicle? that will decide how you distribute the weight.

Offline Bazza2401

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville Australia
The ball weight is 75kg
  • I30 se 2013 2 door

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Some trusty old bathroom scales with a piece of board across so that the jockey wheel doesn’t break/dent it will suffice to give an accurate ball weight.

Offline Bazza2401

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville Australia
I was able to find a 6x4 trailer to hire, I think I’m just gonna hire one of those. Do I really need to bother with the ball weight with a smaller trailer? Or is it a requirement?
  • I30 se 2013 2 door

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Do I really need to bother with the ball weight with a smaller trailer? Or is it a requirement?
Depends on how heavy the front of the trailer is once you've loaded it, to much ball weight can affect the steering and possible damage the car.

Shouldn't be to bad with the smaller trailer and the minimal load being carried as long as the weight isn't all sitting at the front.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal