i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 231159

Offline Bundera78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Any other suggestions for sourcing the AUX/USB assembly and cable?
Try KORAPS, they have an eBay store :link: KORea Auto Parts Service-KORAPS | eBay Stores as well as their home site :link: KORAPS - KORea Auto Parts Service - HYUNDAI KIA GM SSANGYONG RENAULT Genuine Parts! Low Price!

The other cable you bought might work for Android :undecided: but wont be compatible for Apple, looks like it would melt when charging :eek:

I havent bought it yet, but it was recommended earlier in this thread
  • 2013 i30 tourer

Offline Bundera78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
GUIDE UPDATE - USB CABLE

I did the upgrade from a GD-01 earlier this year and was able to get complete functionality without the USB port assembly and cable. Here are my results in case anyone is in a similar position.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

If you do not have the GD-03 USB assembly you can buy a pre-made cable like this one

Has anyone used these cables before? I got a price from PC Parts and Cables and it works out about $15 incl shipping to Australia.
  • 2013 i30 tourer

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I got this cable which a KIA's part but it's the same as the one used for GD-03. 96595A5000

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
I got this cable which a KIA's part but it's the same as the one used for GD-03. 96595A5000

Yes I used the same, they sell them at four greens
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus

Bought it from four greens as well!!!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

A link to the website/cable makes it easier for people interested in the part :link: Hyundai/Kia NEW i30 CABLE ASSEMBLY-USB 96595A5000

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus

A link to the website/cable makes it easier for people interested in the part :link: Hyundai/Kia NEW i30 CABLE ASSEMBLY-USB 96595A5000
I didn't put the link since searching the part number on google might find you a website selling it in your country or a website selling it cheaper than four green!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Burkeman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
How’s it going  , first post on the forum , I have a 2013 5D and as has been observed buy a lot of others , the radio ( G-D 01 ) has failed .... I’m about to get on board up grading to a G-D 03 and I’m wondering if there has been any updates or does anyone have any hints or tips , i’m Aware that I need a AUX/USB , USB lead etc ...
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.....
red hot forum...I’ve got a lot out of it so far
Cheers

Edited to remove excessive photos

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 16:53:53 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
How’s it going  , first post on the forum , I have a 2013 5D and as has been observed buy a lot of others , the radio ( G-D 01 ) has failed .... I’m about to get on board up grading to a G-D 03 and I’m wondering if there has been any updates or does anyone have any hints or tips , i’m Aware that I need a AUX/USB , USB lead etc ...
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.....
red hot forum...I’ve got a lot out of it so far
Cheers
Nothing has changed with the install process, just follow the instructions by VTH...very simple :)

If the unit doesn't have the latest 2.05.10 firmware then you can find in first post here :link: Cartronics TL-01?DM-01?AD-01?FS-02?GD-03?GD-04 v2.05.10 Firmware (Dec 11, 2018)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 17:00:39 by CraigB »

Offline Burkeman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
G’day how’s it going , I’m in the initial stages of swapping out from a GD-01 to GD-03 if I’m unable to locate a GD-03 AUX/USB jack and decide to go with your listed option 3 , can I just take the picture to a electronic place and say ... get me one of these .... (sorry not real sharp )
Cheers thanks for the update

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
G’day how’s it going , I’m in the initial stages of swapping out from a GD-01 to GD-03 if I’m unable to locate a GD-03 AUX/USB jack and decide to go with your listed option 3 , can I just take the picture to a electronic place and say ... get me one of these .... (sorry not real sharp )
Cheers thanks for the update

https://www.proxyparts.com/car-parts-stock/information/make/hyundai/model/i30/part/aux-usb-connection/partid/9892498/

Part number is 96120-A5100

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Justonequestion

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Just a quick thanks to all. I'm now considering this rather than an aftermarket unit for a 2013 i30.   The car I want to install  it into does not have a reverse camera fitted at the moment.  Has anyone wired an aftermarket camera into a gd-03 unit that was upgraded from a gd-02?
  • Install GD-03 radio

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Just a quick thanks to all. I'm now considering this rather than an aftermarket unit for a 2013 i30.   The car I want to install  it into does not have a reverse camera fitted at the moment.  Has anyone wired an aftermarket camera into a gd-03 unit that was upgraded from a gd-02?
I fitted the oem camera but an aftermarket camera will work as well.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline GDMate

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi All - love this guide and I’m keen to do this upgrade.

Does anyone know if this module is compatible? Looks the same apart from the flip down cover. Part number is a5110 rather than a5100.

:link: For Hyundai i30 2012 ~ 16 AUX USB Jack Assy 1PCS 96120 A5110 Genuine Part | eBay
  • 2012 GD i30

Offline Justonequestion

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
I don't suppose you know if the wiring is all there (eg from the boot to the dash in models that do not have the camera as standard).  If this is the case I could just get a camera from the wreckers and hook that up to the wiring in the boot.  Alternatively I'm assuming its a matter of getting an after market camera and finding the right pins and wiring the camera directly to the harness behind the head unit??
  • Install GD-03 radio

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Does anyone know if this module is compatible? Looks the same apart from the flip down cover. Part number is a5110 rather than a5100.
The twin plug connections at the rear look right, haven’t seen one with a flip face before though.

Offline GDMate

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Yeah I thought it appeared to be the same. I’ve found a decent priced GD-03 so thinking I might roll the dice on this.
  • 2012 GD i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't suppose you know if the wiring is all there (eg from the boot to the dash in models that do not have the camera as standard).  If this is the case I could just get a camera from the wreckers and hook that up to the wiring in the boot.  Alternatively I'm assuming its a matter of getting an after market camera and finding the right pins and wiring the camera directly to the harness behind the head unit??
I think you might need to take off the hatch interior panel for inspection, then you’ll see if there is a plug connection waiting there for you and you’ll also want to make sure it’s possible to mount the factory camera.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah I thought it appeared to be the same. I’ve found a decent priced GD-03 so thinking I might roll the dice on this.
We’ll hear from ya when it’s done then :goodjob:

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
The camera plug is not present if you don't have a camera fitted from the factory since the harness that includes the camera connector has a different part number than the normal one. You can run new wires from the boot to the radio. That's what I did!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus

:link: For Hyundai i30 2012 ~ 16 AUX USB Jack Assy 1PCS 96120 A5110 Genuine Part | eBay
It fits. You can take off that open/close cover and fit the one which is on your current usb module.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Justonequestion

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Super helpful info on the wiring harness part numbers.

by chance do you remember how you wired it in?  I'm assuming that:
- power from the reverse lights goes to  connector a pin 9 (to activate camera on display when in reverse)
- video ground (outer part of RCA connector) goes to Connector a pin 14
- video center connector from RCA goes to Connector A pin 15?

this is based on the awesome diagram from I justkowstuf  :goodjob: who posted it a while back.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 13:34:53 by CraigB »
  • Install GD-03 radio

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Super helpful info on the wiring harness part numbers.

by chance do you remember how you wired it in?  I'm assuming that:
- power from the reverse lights goes to  connector a pin 9 (to activate camera on display when in reverse)
- video ground (outer part of RCA connector) goes to Connector a pin 14
- video center connector from RCA goes to Connector A pin 15?

this is based on the awesome diagram from I justkowstuf  :goodjob: who posted it a while back.

image sharing sites
This diagram is found on any Gd-03 radio!
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline GDMate

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
For anyone chasing the USB/AUX assembly, Hyundai in WA actually have them in stock for $49.

Cables too but they’re $40  :eek:
  • 2012 GD i30

Offline Justonequestion

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Another successful upgrade complete.  Ordered one last week from ebay. Looked a bit beat up but for $130 delivered I figured I would roll the dice.  Turned up on Friday. Wires were cut but that ended up being a good thing.  I managed to splice my own USB cable by connecting the end that was left in the unit from the wire cutting with using a standard USB extension which I trimmed the Male end off.  Bit of trial and error with the USB.  Initially I had the USB data wires backwards.  For any one attempting this, get the power pins right which is an easy check with a multi meter.  Data cables should not kill your device (based on the iPhone not getting fried when I tested). I owe a credit to someone here who posted up some USB wiring stuff.   I have a reverse camera on the way. I will try to remember to get some pics of that when the camera turns up.
  • Install GD-03 radio

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good to hear! Well done!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear
Another successful upgrade complete.  Ordered one last week from ebay. Looked a bit beat up but for $130 delivered I figured I would roll the dice.  Turned up on Friday. Wires were cut but that ended up being a good thing.  I managed to splice my own USB cable by connecting the end that was left in the unit from the wire cutting with using a standard USB extension which I trimmed the Male end off.  Bit of trial and error with the USB.  Initially I had the USB data wires backwards.  For any one attempting this, get the power pins right which is an easy check with a multi meter.  Data cables should not kill your device (based on the iPhone not getting fried when I tested). I owe a credit to someone here who posted up some USB wiring stuff.   I have a reverse camera on the way. I will try to remember to get some pics of that when the camera turns up.
Can you give me the link from where you ordered the unit because I can't find GD03.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal