i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230804

Offline Justonequestion

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Another successful upgrade complete.  Ordered one last week from ebay. Looked a bit beat up but for $130 delivered I figured I would roll the dice.  Turned up on Friday. Wires were cut but that ended up being a good thing.  I managed to splice my own USB cable by connecting the end that was left in the unit from the wire cutting with using a standard USB extension which I trimmed the Male end off.  Bit of trial and error with the USB.  Initially I had the USB data wires backwards.  For any one attempting this, get the power pins right which is an easy check with a multi meter.  Data cables should not kill your device (based on the iPhone not getting fried when I tested). I owe a credit to someone here who posted up some USB wiring stuff.   I have a reverse camera on the way. I will try to remember to get some pics of that when the camera turns up.
Can you give me the link from where you ordered the unit because I can't find GD03.
I got it from a wrecker advertising on ebay.  Just did a search for 'gd-03' and did a buy it now.

• Install GD-03 radio

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear
Another successful upgrade complete.  Ordered one last week from ebay. Looked a bit beat up but for $130 delivered I figured I would roll the dice.  Turned up on Friday. Wires were cut but that ended up being a good thing.  I managed to splice my own USB cable by connecting the end that was left in the unit from the wire cutting with using a standard USB extension which I trimmed the Male end off.  Bit of trial and error with the USB.  Initially I had the USB data wires backwards.  For any one attempting this, get the power pins right which is an easy check with a multi meter.  Data cables should not kill your device (based on the iPhone not getting fried when I tested). I owe a credit to someone here who posted up some USB wiring stuff.   I have a reverse camera on the way. I will try to remember to get some pics of that when the camera turns up.
Can you give me the link from where you ordered the unit because I can't find GD03.
I got it from a wrecker advertising on ebay.  Just did a search for 'gd-03' and did a buy it now.
Thanks

Offline Justonequestion

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Following up from my earlier post

My earlier post

I have now managed to get the reverse camera installed.  I didn't grab pictures.  I was really short on time and the better half had been bundled inside on a wet day with the kids so I was 'on a short fuse'.  It took a lot more than I thought to get the camera installed and wired up so sharing a few lessons.

some pointers for people that want to do the same
this is the camera I purchased
Cheap generic ebay reverse camera

1) Take the back of the rear seat off on the drivers side - it will save you time in the long run
2) Removing the material lining in the rear quarter was made easier after I did step # 1)
3) There is no access (that I could find) to the bumper from inside the car.  I ran the wires for the camera past the indicator wiring (also on the drivers side).  I did this by cutting a slit in the boot that provides a seal for the wires.  Granted it's no longer 100% waterproof but its probably about 98% which I was OK with.
4) Camera doesn't work with a flat battery - don't flatten your battery by listening to the new Radio while you do this bit. 
5) I ran the sensor/power wire all the way to the bulb in the hatch I suspect there is an easier option but I'm not sure where the wiring harness for the reverse lights runs inside the cabin.  Looks like it may run across the roof??.   
6) Power from the reverse lights hooked to the sensor as well as the power for the camera works fine (no delay in image displaying).
7) In the wiring for the GD-01 harness there are no pins in the harness for the reverse camera in pin 14 and 15 of harness A.  Hopefully if you got a radio with cut wires you can extract a couple and insert them in the right holes, this is what I did. Make sure the terminals are seated all the way in.  Pin 14 Ground should connect to the outside of the RCA connector for the camera.  15 connects to the inside pin of the RCA connector.  Pin 9 Adapter A (the one you have to cut to make the GD-03 radio work) should connect to the reverse sensor wire (to tell the radio to switch to reverse camera mode). I had an old female RCA connector I wired up to make this connection easier.

The camera unit purchased did not support the stock light fitting for the number plate illumination light. The light fits OK in the hole but the locking pins don't enable it to lock the light in place.  I wrapped it with electrical tape which will hold it in place.  I also notices the globe was blown so I will need to revisit this bit.

RESULT: it works. 

OPEN ISSUES: There are two sets of  red/yellow/green lines on the screen when in reverse mode.  One set from the headunit and one set from the camera.  I didn't see any wires to cut on the camera to disable fro there and can't see and way to disable on the head unit.  Any ideas on how to do this on the head unit???

• Install GD-03 radio

Offline Bundera78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
GUIDE UPDATE - USB CABLE

I did the upgrade from a GD-01 earlier this year and was able to get complete functionality without the USB port assembly and cable. Here are my results in case anyone is in a similar position.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

If you do not have the GD-03 USB assembly you can buy a pre-made cable like this one

Has anyone used these cables before? I got a price from PC Parts and Cables and it works out about $15 incl shipping to Australia.

I bought this cable and installed it using my original AUX/USB assembly. I removed the cover and the PCB, then the USB socket clicked into place.

Apple Carplay works great, now to upgrade the firmware.

• 2013 i30 tourer

Offline meisos

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Any chance you could share the link for this cable? I haven't been able to source the correct one.

The website says they're updating it - and its been saying that for months.

• i30

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Any chance you could share the link for this cable? I haven't been able to source the correct one.

The website says they're updating it - and its been saying that for months.
https://www.fourgreen.com/store/mobile/prodView.asp?idProduct=6145963

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Xzar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
I've had a read through the thread and couldn't find the answer.

Do I need to disconnect the battery before attempting to change the headunit?

Maybe the answer is obvious but I want to be sure.

Thanks!
  • i30

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear

Thanks!
No need to disconnect the battery.

Offline Xzar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney

Thanks!
No need to disconnect the battery.

Thanks,  so it is safe to disconnect all the wires from the existing head unit while the battery is connected?

Various Google results seems to indicate that I need to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

Just want to make sure I don't stuff this up
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks,  so it is safe to disconnect all the wires from the existing head unit while the battery is connected?

Various Google results seems to indicate that I need to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

As long as the ignition is off it will be fine, there is no need to disconnect battery.

Offline Xzar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney

As long as the ignition is off it will be fine, there is no need to disconnect battery.

Thanks!
  • i30

Offline Xzar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Just install and updated firmware.

Thanks for the awesome guide.  I ended up cutting the wire as I couldn't depinned the reverse camera cable
  • i30

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Just install and updated firmware.

Thanks for the awesome guide.  I ended up cutting the wire as I couldn't depinned the reverse camera cable
There is a grey tab on one side of the connector which has to be lifted up in order to remove any of the pins.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear
Can someone explain what is the difference between sat nav and  non sat nav  on GD03 unit,thank you.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Can someone explain what is the difference between sat nav and  non sat nav  on GD03 unit,thank you.
One has GPS and the other doesnt :D GD-03 has Apple Car play/Android Auto, Satnav units don't, GD=03 units don't have a CD player either.

Satnav units have a different shape at the base of the fascia, Satnav models are also not allocated a GD-03 model number...no satnav unit for that matter has the GD model number as the nav units are made in Korea and the GD- units are built by Cartronics Australia.

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear
One has GPS and the other doesnt :D GD-03 has Apple Car play/Android Auto, Satnav units don't, GD=03 units don't have a CD player either.

Satnav units have a different shape at the base of the fascia, Satnav models are also not allocated a GD-03 model number...no satnav unit for that matter has the GD model number as the nav units are made in Korea and the GD- units are built by Cartronics Australia.
Thank you Craig for clarifying that but still I'm confused,this seller on eBay is selling this GD03 unit and is written Sat nav see the pictures and another seller is selling same GD03 without Sat nav both of them are from Au now I don't what is better to buy.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Both units pictured appear to be GD-03, grab the $250 one :goodjob2:

The first seller has listed it wrongly with satnav but that may be due to whoever put the newer sticker on the unit, it’s a GD-03 looking at the face and original sticker so I’d expect he’s trying to do a dodgy  :undecided:

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear

The first seller has listed it wrongly with satnav but that may be due to whoever put the newer sticker on the unit, it’s a GD-03 looking at the face and original sticker so I’d expect he’s trying to do a dodgy  :undecided:
I would like to grab 250$ but I need to buy usb cable because this seller is cutting all the cables.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus

I would like to grab 250$ but I need to buy usb cable because this seller is cutting all the cables.

You can buy the cable from this website!

https://www.fourgreen.com/store/mobile/prodView.asp?idProduct=6145963

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline goranoh

• 2nd Gear
I finally grab GD-03 now I waiting to deliver it to me and after that installation process can be done.

Offline itsonlyaudio

• 1st Gear

• Warsaw, PL
Hi,

First post... I'm the one who grabbed the recent AUD250 unit :)
7 days from Australia to Poland, two weeks for me to pry it out of the hands of the border control comrades. Nothing out of the ordinary, unfortunately.

Repaired the USB cable and all was well.

I had a blonde moment getting android auto to install: it told me it was 'incompatible with my phone'. After some googling it turns out it's just not available in my country's Play Store. So I got it from APKmirror and now works just fine. FYI...

My 2013 GD was probably the 'rental' special... barebones as all heck. Thanks to this forum I now have not only cruise control but Android auto running, brilliant!
Have a few others errands to run (phone button on steering wheel not working, adding remote camera) and the GDS is a blessing. Really, the #1 requirement for running a 2nd hand car is a community like this.

Thank you all!
/ Remco
  • i30cw 2013 1.6 auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome @itsonlyaudio good posting and love your feedback, thanks!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kirstenp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi Guys,

Ive just finished upgrading from my gd-01 to a gd-03. I've changed over the AUX/USB assembly unit and everything seems to be working. I can connect  my iPhone via USB and it will CHARGE but WONT ENABLE ME TO CONNECT TO APPLE CARPLAY. Have just updated the software to SW VER: 2.05.10 MICOM: 3.28.00 Platform: 1.76.00.
When I press the 'MEDIA' button, it will show all the correct options on the screen but everything is greyed out except the BLUETOOTH option.

Any ideas on how to fix? Did i go wrong somewhere?

Thanks!
-K
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Guys,

Ive just finished upgrading from my gd-01 to a gd-03. I've changed over the AUX/USB assembly unit and everything seems to be working. I can connect  my iPhone via USB and it will CHARGE but WONT ENABLE ME TO CONNECT TO APPLE CARPLAY. Have just updated the software to SW VER: 2.05.10 MICOM: 3.28.00 Platform: 1.76.00.
When I press the 'MEDIA' button, it will show all the correct options on the screen but everything is greyed out except the BLUETOOTH option.

Any ideas on how to fix? Did i go wrong somewhere?

Thanks!
-K
Hi kirstenp, sounds like your not using the Apple certified cable :undecided: try using the genuine cable that came with the phone.

Offline kirstenp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Tried the genuine cable to no avail. Just to confuse things more, it will charge with a non genuine cable, but won't charge with the genuine one. Still won't connect to AA/car play regardless of the cables I try. Any other suggestions??
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Tried the genuine cable to no avail. Just to confuse things more, it will charge with a non genuine cable, but won't charge with the genuine one. Still won't connect to AA/car play regardless of the cables I try. Any other suggestions??
What model iPhone do you have?

Do you see on the phone CarPlay option under Settings/General/CarPlay?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 05:01:09 by CraigB »

Offline kirstenp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I've got an iPhone 6s. I can see the CarPlay option in my phone settings but I didn't think i needed to use that at all when using the USB chord?
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I've got an iPhone 6s. I can see the CarPlay option in my phone settings but I didn't think i needed to use that at all when using the USB chord?
Have you updated  the head unit to the latest software?

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No need to use those phone settings while driving, just checking whether your vehicle is listed in the settings and turned on.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
Make sure you have Siri enabled on the iPhone
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal