i30 Owners Club

Replacing the 'space saver' spare wheel

TerryT · 12 · 3683

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
In March I treated myself to a new 2018 i30 SR 1.6 Turbo to replace my street/track-modified 2006 WRX STi ('cos my wife said I'm too old to hoon).

Love the i30 except for its dinky space saver (which is also what the STi came with). What a pathetic excuse for a spare from the Hyundai  and Subaru bean counters.

As with the STi, I finally got around to buying a secondhand set of oem wheels with tyres. 

Was pleasantly surprised at how much junk I can store under the boot 'floor', including my tow bar hitch & ball, first-aid kit, rear seat dog cover, compact jump starter, emergency light, spare tools as well as the oem wheel-change tools.  And I've got a bit more space left over.

Hyundai had quoted me $1500(!) for ONE new wheel, without tyre.  R-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s!  I managed to source four used oem wheels (v. good condition) WITH oem tyres (3,000 km) for a lot less than $1500.  My Christmas present.  Thank you Santa!! 

Posting to show other SR owners (who hate space savers as much as I do) who have put off buying a 18" wheel because of possible fitment concerns. If you can find a cheapish oem wheel with a good tyre...and you have the money, do it. :)   

No longer that concerned if I get a flat on a country trip and have to do the space saver's 80 km/h max!  And, a space saver doesn't feel as sure-footed as a oem when handling twisty bits at speed. 

Merry Christmas, all.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 04:45:44 by TerryT »
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Terry. Well done!

Personally the space saver doesn't worry me. I have dropped the floor to gain an extra 40 odd litres of boot space for our many road trips.  So far we've done over 44,000 kilometres in 18 months including aome really dodgy roads on places like Kangaroo Island  without looking like needing to use the spare. I do travel with a can of gunk as well as a 2nd alternative.   :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Dazzler,

Yep, space savers are an acquired (dis)taste with people having mixed feelings about them based on their experiences or perceptions. Mine is, youse don't fit dinky wheels to performance cars!:)

I will give Hyundai some credit for designing into the boot the high/low floor height feature.  That let me satisfactorily fix my issue if I wanted to spend the money.  Couldn't do that with my STi, the spare wheel well wasn't deep enough. 

I have used car gunk before somewhat successfully on several occasions over many years; and carrying gunk in the car was something I'd thought about before spending up big on 18" wheels.  I changed my mind when several tyre people told me "Do NOT use gunk in tyres with TPMS sensors"; which the SR has.  So, it was back to Plan A.  :)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 22:02:28 by TerryT »

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Have you patented that awesome floor lift device?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazzler,

Yep, tyre savers are an acquired (dis)taste with people having mixed feelings about them based on their experiences or perceptions. Mine is, youse don't fit dinky wheels to performance cars!:)

I will give Hyundai some credit for designing into the boot the high/low floor height feature.  That let me satisfactorily fix my issue if I wanted to spend the money.  Couldn't do that with my STi, the spare wheel well wasn't deep enough. 

I have used car gunk before somewhat successfully on several occasions over many years; and carrying gunk in the car was something I'd thought about before spending up big on 18" wheels.  I changed my mind when several tyre people told me "Do NOT use gunk in tyres with TPMS sensors"; which the SR has.  So, it was back to Plan A.  :)

Cheers Terry,

Our Tyre Guru (Surferdude) with more than 30 years in the tyre industry isn't a fan of tyre gunk either. Hadn't thought about the TPMS being a factor as well. Seeing as I am now running a more expensive Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre I might ditch the gunk and stick with just a plan A.

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Have you patented that awesome floor lift device?

Was going to (and make my fortune with it) then I discovered every garage/shed has one. :(  Maybe in carbon fibre?  :wink:

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

...Hadn't thought about the TPMS being a factor as well...

Yep, just another little thing to lighten the wallet more if you have to replace a sensor.   

SurferDude could probably better advise on how much it would cost to strip a tyre/replace sensor/refit wheel/reprogram ECU. 

I think quality aftermarket programmable sensors are around $60~$70.  I was told (third-hand) that a Hyundai oem is about $150(!), which I'd hesitate at buying.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

...Hadn't thought about the TPMS being a factor as well...

Yep, just another little thing to lighten the wallet more if you have to replace a sensor.   

SurferDude could probably better advise on how much it would cost to strip a tyre/replace sensor/refit wheel/reprogram ECU. 

I think quality aftermarket programmable sensors are around $60~$70.  I was told (third-hand) that a Hyundai oem is about $150(!), which I'd hesitate at buying.
I got out before TPMS became commonplace.  :victory:
I do remember when the Mini came out with them. BWM and Dunlop Australia prepared and circulated an advisory bulletin on how to remove and replace tyres on rims fitted with TPMS.
Our technical guy (Goodyear and Dunlop) had the same parent company in Oz, before Goodyear took back full ownership of both brands), gave me a copy for reference in some training I was doing.
I read it. Read it again. And again.
Took it back to him and pointed out they had completely reversed the point at which to start the process by pushing the bead down into the wheel well.
In other words, they were pushing the bead down ONTO the sensor. Which would have smashed the sensor once the process continued.

Major panic. Recall and redistribution of the Product Information Bulletin.  :mrgreen:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Major panic. Recall and redistribution...  :mrgreen:

Know the feeling. :)  Reminds me a little of: "Drafting rules is a race between those striving to draft bigger and better idiot-proof rules and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.  So far, the Universe is winning."

I worked for the Commonwealth Public Service for over 37 years...SNAFU was too often the rule rather than the exception.   

Offline Reny4i30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :Shocked: Good post Terry T, I too have bought a sr a couple of days and was shocked to find a space saver as a spare. I rang my local dealer and he informed me of a ridiculous price for a replacement 18inch alloy, he said nearly $1500 and then said that is without the tyre. I kindly said I would give it a miss lol. I thought to myself he must have it wrong that it must of been for a set of 4 so I have sent off a message to Hyundai customer service to verify price, but after reading your post I would say it's correct. 😳😳😳
  • 2018 i30 sr

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:Shocked: Good post Terry T, I too have bought a sr a couple of days and was shocked to find a space saver as a spare. I rang my local dealer and he informed me of a ridiculous price for a replacement 18inch alloy, he said nearly $1500 and then said that is without the tyre. I kindly said I would give it a miss lol. I thought to myself he must have it wrong that it must of been for a set of 4 so I have sent off a message to Hyundai customer service to verify price, but after reading your post I would say it's correct. 😳😳😳

Welcome.

I'm sure that there would be 2nd hand 18" SR alloys available (even from a wreckers maybe) for a few hundred with a tyre. Biggest problem you might have from someone who has upgraded their wheels is getting them to split a set.

There is a set of 4 on Ebay for $1000 in Melbourne.

:link: HYUNDAI I30 2017 2018 PD SR MODEL ADD FOR ALLOY WHEELS AND TYRES 18'' 225 /40/18 | eBay

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Thanks Reny4i30.  Hope you're able to find a good oem spare wheel with tyre at the right price.

The eBay link that Dazzler kindly posted sounds great for someone chasing a set.  They've been on eBay for a while now, which surprises me...so I guess most SR owners only want the one.   

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal