K&N Air Filter for PD SR

Dazzler · 27 · 8886

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Was surprised to find that filter in my SR 1.6 Turbo is different to the one in Trish's 1.6 GDi tourer.

When I pulled it out and did a search of the part number  28113 F2000 it equates to K&N Filter 33-5050 which is the same as the 2017 Elantra in the USA.

K&N sells them direct in Australia for approximately  $109 or I can get one from the USA for about A $94 including postage (via Ebay)

Can't find anyone else stocking them cheap in Australia,  but I might check what supercheap charge to get one in for me..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah cant find any through the usual Aussie sellers, check the sizing listed here Dazz https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-5050 if the size and shape is correct then $94 isn't bad :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks yep, that's the link where I found out which one I needed.

Supercheap haven't got it on their books yet, but they are going to ring K and N tomorrow so they can give me their price and order it for me. If they can do it for $100 or less I think I'd rather buy locally. Bit of a hassle if I order from the US and it gets lost...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Was surprised to find that filter in my SR 1.6 Turbo is different to the one in Trish's 1.6 GDi tourer.

When I pulled it out and did a search of the part number  28113 F2000 it equates to K&N Filter 33-5050 which is the same as the 2017 Elantra in the USA.

K&N sells them direct in Australia for approximately  $109 or I can get one from the USA for about A $94 including postage (via Ebay)

Can't find anyone else stocking them cheap in Australia,  but I might check what supercheap charge to get one in for me..

dazz k n n filters are washable you don't change them can buy genuine cleaning kit. I been using them for years on motor cycles
they are ok just don't over oil

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'll try this mob :link: Filters Elite - Streamlining your solutions tomorrow for you, they've previously been able to get some of my filters at good discounts but it all depends on the au/us exchange rates.

Remember you wont have to oil your filter for at least 30,000kms as they're pre oiled.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

dazz k n n filters are washable you don't change them can buy genuine cleaning kit. I been using them for years on motor cycles
they are ok just don't over oil

Craig very kindly gave me one for Trish's Tourer last year. I was so impressed I put one in in Calais. I thought I could notice a slight performance and economy improvement, so think I'll get one for the SR.  :goodjob:

I'll try this mob :link: Filters Elite - Streamlining your solutions tomorrow for you, they've previously been able to get some of my filters at good discounts but it all depends on the au/us exchange rates.

Remember you wont have to oil your filter for at least 30,000kms as they're pre oiled.

Cheers Craig (I have the correct spray oil for when I do) :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is there any evidence to the economy improvement, or is it just a 'feeling'?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I used K&N filters on my Webers in my rally car.
Got washed and re-oiled after every event.  :crazy1:
Great product.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Is there any evidence to the economy improvement, or is it just a 'feeling'?

I just got a feeling in my Calais that it was much easier to keep my overall average at 9.0 after I swapped filters. I think I drove it a bit harder afterwards as it seemed a little more responsive (that could have been loosening up with mileage though)

Before the filter change it seemed to want to sit at 9.1 or 9.2 average (so not very scientific)  :snigger:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dazz, I forgot to ring the filter shop today sorry :sweating: got side tracked with the stereo and then the folks popped over to get their copy of Game of Thrones, only remembered about it when checking the thread :head_knock:

Promise to ring tomorrow  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz, I forgot to ring the filter shop today sorry :sweating: got side tracked with the stereo and then the folks popped over to get their copy of Game of Thrones, only remembered about it when checking the thread :head_knock:

Promise to ring tomorrow  :)
No worries Craig. I didn't get to supercheap either!

Was only 7 degrees at 10am, so I had a lazy morning, then took Trish out for lunch, had my walk, visited some friends then home for a rest!

I'll check 2moro too!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So i went to SUpercheap and the guy rang someone (K&N I assume) They said they wouldn't have any until early September and they would probably be around $150?? Seems odd as can get direct from the local distributor for $109 with free postgae.

Anyway, I told Craig not to worry about contacting his guys in WA and just ordered it from this link.

:link: K&N Air Filter New for Hyundai Elantra 2017 33-5050 | eBay

For some weird reason even though it came up at around $94 yesterday I ended up paying just over A$98 (Still a saving of $10 I guess.  :undecided: (from what I can see the $A exchange rate is actually better today than yesterday! :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Got the filter today. Roughly 2 weeks from the USA ( pretty good) half as thick as the original.  Will advise if I feel any difference in performance or notice an improvement in economy. According to the trip pc im sitting right on 7.5 L /100kms after about 4150kms. Wll reset the read out if I can work out how and see what she settles back at after a few weeks!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :goodjob: Dazz, she'll take a few hundred kms for the ECU to fully adjust so your second tank will show the best results, and the urge to put ya foot down to test out the better airflow will be out of your system :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob: Dazz, she'll take a few hundred kms for the ECU to fully adjust so your second tank will show the best results, and the urge to put ya foot down to test out the better airflow will be out of your system :D

Thanks for the heads up Craig. As far as overall economy goes I'll wait a month or two and see where it settles.

I had one moment today where she seemed to take off a bit more enthusiastically than normal. I'm only driving in normal mode. I swapped out of Eco mode a few weeks ago as I don't think it made much difference to economy but did make it a bit sluggish on initial takeoff sometimes.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That a good start, the ease and availability of air to get to the engine quicker certainly makes a difference in response :goodjob2:

Now I just need to tinker with the intake side of your airbox tubing to get the full benefit :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
That a good start, the ease and availability of air to get to the engine quicker certainly makes a difference in response :goodjob2:

Now I just need to tinker with the intake side of your airbox tubing to get the full benefit :D

And then the exhaust,  a bigger hairdryer,    :twisted:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
With 18% off ebay tonight I bit the bullet and got one for the i40 for $69.20.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

With 18% off ebay tonight I bit the bullet and got one for the i40 for $69.20.

Nice one!

I'm tempted to get some better globes for the SR if I can get them cheap enough with the 18% deal.  :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
where was the 18% off when I bought my fridge?  :head_butt:

Offline KEV248

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Rocket Industries have them. Thats where i got my KN33-5050 from :)
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 SR 1.6T Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Rocket Industries have them. Thats where i got my KN33-5050 from :)

Thanks, yes, they should be more readily available now the PD has been on the road for 6 months...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

One of our Tassie members just pm'd me asking where I got my K & N filter from, so I gave him a link to this thread. Just checked EBay and the cheapest there as of today seems to be A$100 with free postage from a highly rated local seller, which isn't too bad. If not in a hurry though I'd still wait for Supercheap or Autobarn to have a 20% off sale...

Just for the record, now I've done over 15,000 kilometres in 7 months my trip PC has settled at 7.3 L/100kms after being reset about 4000kms ago. That's with my usually good mix of city and highway driving. I don't drive hard, but like to drive on the limit where conditions permit. I would say I am middle of the range with my driving style. Neither boy racer or Grandad.  :rofl:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
One of our Tassie members just pm'd me asking where I got my K & N filter from, so I gave him a link to this thread. Just checked EBay and the cheapest there as of today seems to be A$100 with free postage from a highly rated local seller, which isn't too bad. If not in a hurry though I'd still wait for Supercheap or Autobarn to have a 20% off sale...

Just for the record, now I've done over 15,000 kilometres in 7 months my trip PC has settled at 7.3 L/100kms after being reset about 4000kms ago. That's with my usually good mix of city and highway driving. I don't drive hard, but like to drive on the limit where conditions permit. I would say I am middle of the range with my driving style. Neither boy racer or Grandad.  :rofl:

I don't know if Supercheap and Autobarn give 20% off for stock they have to order. Ebay are quite enthusastic throwing the discounts out, you just have to keep an eye on them. **update just checked ebay 10% off everything when you spend over $75 until 19/2**

The 5000k I did with the filter were not enough to really get an idea, but I did feel that she had more power at take off. Stupid me tempting fate with a filter that lasts forever..... :whistler: I won't put one in the new i40 mainly due to the fact that Hyundai will be doing the servicing and a) I get air filters for free and b) they will probably replace it with a normal filter and throw it out if I did..... This may change at the 90,000k service.  :evil:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 23:04:45 by beerman »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good point beerman... Thanks for that... The 75K free servicing was great bonus pickup.  :happydance:

I'm really looking forward to your feedback on the differences between your old i40 and the new one.  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal