i30 Owners Club

Oil Rise

Nickoss · 18 · 9270

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
Hello mates!
Sorry for creating a new topic but a previous one is locked , no new replies!
Anyway
After 10.000km since the last oil change I found out that the oil level is again raised.its about 3 cm above the mark F in the dipstick.
I have to tell you that oil level checked once by me 2 weeks after the oil change and it was OK.
Now after 10.000 is a lot higher!
Since none of you here gave any attention when I first wrote about it in the past,I just thought that I should mention it again.
Probably now European owners might help because I think its a DPF thing that Australian owners have not!
Please help ....Why is this happening?I do only(mostly) short distances driving(town)
  • i30 mkII

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow 3 cm is quite a bit on the dipstick!  :Shocked: Are you 100% sure you were parked on level ground when you checked?

I assume this was after leaving the car overnight or for at least 15 minutes since last drive.

Does your car seem to drive normally performance wise? Is it blowing any smoke? Is the fuel economy normal? Is their any oily residue in your coolant?

Answers to these and other questions might help us diagnose any causes.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If you are doing short trips I would suggest that the oil is not reaching correct engine temperature to evaporate any water build up that is happening. Water is a normal occurrence in engines, as the fuel is a hydro carbon. Suggest taking the car on a spirited drive to properly heat the engine, but be sure to check the oil level and top up if necessary before the return journey. Burning off the water can sometimes indicate low oil. It has nothing to do with DPF.

Another possibility is coolant leaking from the head gasket, check you coolant level and be sure that it is not leaking into the engine when driving.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I assume it is a diesel. I have heard few cases with other brands that fuel injectors were faulty or they had a faulty seal. It caused diesel to leak in to the engine. That caused rising of the oil level when diesel mixed with motor oil.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
Oil is checked always in level ground.
Oil is checked 10 min after driving.after a trip of 100 kms.
The car performs OK,no smoke and normal economy fuel.
Coolant level OK.
I am really scared now.I am afraid of the scenario diesel in the oil pan.
It is been told (for dpf equipped engines)that some fuel when dpf cleaning procedure fails, goes to the oil pan.
This is an example :link: Backlash over Mazda CX-5 diesel oil issues
Anyone with I30 GD diesel and dpf???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:24:32 by Nickoss »
  • i30 mkII

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
When I got mine, it was overfilled, to about what your saying. It hesitated a little when taking off and when accelerating from low revs, like a rumble. I took .25l out and got it down to F and its behaved a lot better since then. Its stayed at that level since.

I think some workshops are just sloppy when putting oil back in, they will drain out 5l and put 5.2l(what it says in the manual) in and not check the level. Else they are trying to charge you for that extra .2dl of their expensive oil...

I'd pump some out if I were you.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
The amount of fuel which may get into the oil pan because of DPF is quite small, and should not raise the oil level 3cm over F mark after 10,000 km. There must be something else behind that, and should be checked out at your dealer ASAP. I guess you still have warranty as you have GD model? Even if your dealer states there's nothing wrong, at least you have reported it and in the case of problems later they can't blame you for not reporting in time.

I assume it is a diesel. I have heard few cases with other brands that fuel injectors were faulty or they had a faulty seal. It caused diesel to leak in to the engine. That caused rising of the oil level when diesel mixed with motor oil.

That kind of things have happened with Toyota's D-4D engines which have injectors completely hidden under the valve cover, and therefore leaks go unnoticed until it's too late (at the worst case leading into runaway). The injectors of CRDi engine are however visible under the plastic engine top cover, so it's easier to see if they are leaking out.

There has also been some incidents with older CRDi engines where the high pressure pump seal has ruptured and massive amounts of fuel has then leaked into the engine, causing major damage in minutes. In newer versions however that should be very unlikely, because the high pressure pump has now double seals and a leak hole between them, leaking out instead of into the engine should the first seal fail.

When I got mine, it was overfilled, to about what your saying. It hesitated a little when taking off and when accelerating from low revs, like a rumble. I took .25l out and got it down to F and its behaved a lot better since then. Its stayed at that level since.

I think some workshops are just sloppy when putting oil back in, they will drain out 5l and put 5.2l(what it says in the manual) in and not check the level. Else they are trying to charge you for that extra .2dl of their expensive oil...

I'd pump some out if I were you.

:whsaid:

I also had mine overfilled 1cm above F mark, but didn't have any abnormal behavior. The last time I told the mechanic to put no more than 5.0 liters instead of what is said in the manual, which did the trick and the level was almost exactly at F mark. Now after 10,000 km it's still around F. :cool:
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks tohis  :Agoodpost:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
OK here I am again.
Yesterday I took my car to the Hyundai dealer for an express service.
I booked a last minute appointment with them to just change the oil since they had no time for a full service because of my paniced,last minute call.
The chief mechanic there said that they would change the oil,oil filter and a computer check.And that they did.
He apologized as they could not carry out a full service.
Anyway on my question if fuel goes to the oil after a failed regeneration,His answer was YES that happens to all diesel engines.
After he delivered the car to me.He said that nothing found on the ecu check no errors nothing at all.But he was sceptical and he said that its not full OK since nothing found on the computer check and next month on the full service they will make more detailed check.
He also advised me to check the oil level more frequently.
Hyundai says that 15mm above F mark is OK he said.
I am thinking if this happen again to pump some oil of the dip stick hole with a syringe and take it to chemist for exam.I am curious if there will be any diesel in that sample.
Just now 24 hours after I parked the car (and after oil change) I did a check again and the oil is 5mm above F mark.
So I know now all the oil in there.

My car is a 2012 1.4 c.c. crdi GD 6 speed manual model
And Its on warranty for 1 more year
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 22:03:31 by Nickoss »
  • i30 mkII

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I fail to see how the fuel should enter the oil after a failed regeneration, since Hyundai use a system where the fuel is injected directly into the DPF.

How do they explain the fuel's way back to the engine oil..?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
I fail to see how the fuel should enter the oil after a failed regeneration, since Hyundai use a system where the fuel is injected directly into the DPF.

hhaa :confused:
Even him the technician himself did not explained to me.He was that busy that I could not get the courage to make more questions...
P.S Are we sure about that...the directly fuel injected into the dpf?
  • i30 mkII

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

hhaa :confused:
Even him the technician himself did not explained to me.He was that busy that I could not get the courage to make more questions...
P.S Are we sure about that...the directly fuel injected into the dpf?

Yep  :mrgreen:

This is the DPF on my car, you can see the fuel line enter the DPF..

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:33:18 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi

In GD models, extra fuel is injected at the end of the power stroke during regen process. It will not ignite right away, but goes out along the exhaust gas and will burn inside the DPF. However, small amount of that extra fuel will get condensed into the cylinder walls and mix eventually into the engine oil. That happens regardless if the regen process gets finished or not.

So it's not only a failed regen which will cause this, but there will be more regen attempts if the DPF hasn't had a chance to get toasted good enough, resulting in more fuel mixed into the oil. The key thing about DPF certified engine oils is that such oil will retain lubrication when diluted by fuel, not up to 1:1 but something like 10% may be maximum amount of fuel allowed.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
So is there not any extra fuel line on GD models DPF?
Is it normal that I found that much oil lever on the dipstick earlier?
  • i30 mkII

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Diesel is itself an oil, so unlike petrol which acts as a solvent, damage to the engine would be minimal at worst.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
Is there a difference in FD and GD model regarding DPF regeneration? FD in my country has 20 kkm oil change interval. When I heard the GD model has 30kkm i asked somewhere about the DPF problem of oil dilution and inthat long interval. Someone said to me that its ok because GD model has a direct fuel connection to the dpf, not via more (late) fuel into cylinder injection.
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
Is there a difference in FD and GD model regarding DPF regeneration? FD in my country has 20 kkm oil change interval. When I heard the GD model has 30kkm i asked somewhere about the DPF problem of oil dilution and inthat long interval. Someone said to me that its ok because GD model has a direct fuel connection to the dpf, not via more (late) fuel into cylinder injection.

Now we have two opinions one is GD has direct fuel
and the second is
In GD models, extra fuel is injected at the end of the power stroke during regen process. It will not ignite right away, but goes out along the exhaust gas and will burn inside the DPF. However, small amount of that extra fuel will get condensed into the cylinder walls and mix eventually into the engine oil. That happens regardless if the regen process gets finished or not.
What is the right ?

Could we see any fuel line in GD dpf?
  • i30 mkII

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
It makes sense that they use the method of injecting fuel in late in the power stroke as the DPF is moved closer to the engine from introduction of the U2 engine. (2010/2011)?

IIRC the DPF is mounted right after the exhaust manifold, hence there's no need for a direct fuel line.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal