i30 Owners Club

Speed Monitor in PD2 navigation settings

POR930 · 8 · 4280

Offline POR930

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cannon Hill Brisbane Queensland 4170
I have just replaced my GD i30 Elite for a TD2 i30 Elite and notice that the navigation system no longer has (or I can't find it...) a way of setting up speed alerts. In the GD, you could set a speed amount and % under/over and she would alert you when you reached the speed. I had set it to slightly below limits, and while a bit annoying some times, had saved me from fines countless times when I was say 5 or 6 kph over the limit. The new car does not seem to have this setting.

I did notice the other day she warned me about over speed, but had no idea what triggered her. Also, she set off a 'bing bong', even though I was at the speed limit, when I looked in the distance, there was a police man with a radar behind a tree...so not sure if the bing bong was associated with this event.

I read some where that the TD "looks" for speed signs !!! and monitors these. Is this correct? Queensland is not noted for its proliferation of signs, so I hope the car has a good memory for the last time it saw a speed limit sign. I would have thought, at worst it would check its database for what the limit is for the current road and advise of an over speed situation at the speed limit.

Geoff
  • 2012 i30 hatch

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
I'm still getting to know my PD2 Elite, but I notice when I go past a speed camera that I also get a bing bong.
Not sure if that is built into the navigation software because it does warn of an approaching speed camera or whether it is activated by the speed camera itself.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Navigation. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Geoff and wooly,

I believe the Speed camera alerts are just built into the navigation software. So they are only as good as the last software update which is usually quite outdated in most inbuilt car navigation systems. Although we get free updates in the PD I think it is only one a year available in late June (but that may be much later if you don't get your car serviced until say November fro example)

Also be aware if you are in android auto without the navigation system displaying on the screen (or using google maps via android auto) I don't think the speed camera alerts come up.  :sweating:

Saying that the 7 or so fixed stand alone speed cameras in Tassie all seem to be programmed in. I don't think red light cameras are though.

Geoff, do you get automated cruise in the Elite? I use my Auto cruise constantly including places like school zones (40 kph) and even set it a couple of kph above the sign posted limits as I know my speedo over-reads by 5 or 6 kph at most speeds.

Auto cruise in my SR is very good at keeping speeds within a small range even down steepish hills. So i don't find hte need for speed alert which I have never looked for or enabled in any of my cars.  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I rather like Mrs G's Australian accented female speed alert voice. It's probably Karen of Navman fame. :D

:link: The GPS Girl | Recalculate...
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline POR930

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cannon Hill Brisbane Queensland 4170
Hi Daz,

I tried the "speed alert" yesterday by going over the limit in small amounts and it does not seem to care until you go over by 8-10, and then advises what the limit is and tells you are over that limit...But it does not do it all the time...I need to play with it a bit to see how its logic or tolerance, if any, works. Though, deliberately going over the limit in working this out could become expensive if caught...Using the auto cruise seems easier.

As for auto cruise control, yes, the Elite gets it as standard(same as the SR) I use it all the time and pretty impressed by its observance of speeds up or down hills. Amazing how it starts to get worried about cars in front and you feel the brakes come on and off...Not sure if this will become an issue for brake pads. The previous GD's cruise control was pretty useless at keeping to a limits, as it used to creep. And especially going up an hill, when it seemed to develop a sling shot action by accelerating over the top of the hill.

Ummm, does the auto cruise control slow you down in, for example a school zone?

How did you test your speedo error?

Red light cameras are programmed. I passed through a few yesterday, and it warned me, "red light camera ahead"...Also the known fixed speed cameras. As you get closer, it keeps advising until very close when a few bing bong warnings happen.

Speed alerts are very helpful and should be built into navigation systems as a matter of course.  The modern car is pretty quiet...with the radio on, a little inattention, the speed can easily get away from you and be slightly over the limit sufficient for a ticket.   

Geoff
  • 2012 i30 hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I rather like Mrs G's Australian accented female speed alert voice. It's probably Karen of Navman fame. :D

:link: The GPS Girl | Recalculate...

Thanks Gonz. I have always liked Karen (She was in my Holden as well) I knew a bit about her but hadn't seen that link or video. I have shared that on Facebook.  :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Daz,

I tried the "speed alert" yesterday by going over the limit in small amounts and it does not seem to care until you go over by 8-10, and then advises what the limit is and tells you are over that limit...But it does not do it all the time...I need to play with it a bit to see how its logic or tolerance, if any, works. Though, deliberately going over the limit in working this out could become expensive if caught...Using the auto cruise seems easier. I've never had that warning even though I have had autolink say my fastest speed for some months was over 140 kph! - in hindsight mine must be turned off.

As for auto cruise control, yes, the Elite gets it as standard(same as the SR) I use it all the time and pretty impressed by its observance of speeds up or down hills. Amazing how it starts to get worried about cars in front and you feel the brakes come on and off...Not sure if this will become an issue for brake pads. The previous GD's cruise control was pretty useless at keeping to a limits, as it used to creep. And especially going up an hill, when it seemed to develop a sling shot action by accelerating over the top of the hill.

Ummm, does the auto cruise control slow you down in, for example a school zone? No, it only stays at what you set. It is easy to switch speeds though by holding the set button up or down - it will change in increments of 10 kph

How did you test your speedo error? With my Garmin GPS and also with my mates Apple phone speed app.

Red light cameras are programmed. I passed through a few yesterday, and it warned me, "red light camera ahead"...Also the known fixed speed cameras. As you get closer, it keeps advising until very close when a few bing bong warnings happen. I must have red light cameras turned off as well!

Speed alerts are very helpful and should be built into navigation systems as a matter of course.  The modern car is pretty quiet...with the radio on, a little inattention, the speed can easily get away from you and be slightly over the limit sufficient for a ticket.   

Geoff

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal