i30 Owners Club

2013 GD i30 Diesel - 5w-30 Oil in the UK - does the ACEA C3 rating matter?

Offline chrisdarl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Did my first oil change on the i30 1.6L Diesel myself at the weekend, surprised how easy it was. Very fortunate with the oil filter position.

My manual suggested 5w-30 for here in the UK, and I went with a similar spec to the recommended oils (AMEA C3). Does it matter what rating of 5W-30 I go for? Is C2 better and is it 'compatible'?

Wanting to buy some in advance for next time when it's next on offer...
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Silver - start stop, Blue drive

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I believe C2 is lower viscosity than C3, so it allegedly provides better economy. On my old 2011 diesel, I've always used the Shell Helix Professional AG 5W30, which was the recommended oil at the time. I change it at 10,000 miles. On my 2015 diesel I use this oil for doing my own 10,000 oil change between dealer services. The price has been creeping up over time, I've just ordered a 20 litre drum for £69-50

I also find that 5 litre takes the level on the dipstick up to full mark, I don't put in the 5.3 litre that the manual states. On two occasions when the car has been dealer serviced, I've found the oil level to be way above the full mark, so I've gone back and told them to draw off the excess oil.

For oil filters I use the Mahle OX351D or Mann HU7001x. When I bought a genuine Hyundai filter from the dealer, it was the Mahle filter that was in the box.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal