i30 Owners Club

Windscreen washer - low pressure(?) in passenger side

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Morning all.
Total noob here, I use my car to get to work and back and haul things from A to B so please bear with any wrong terminology or assumptions in my post!  It's a UK RHD i30, 2012-Present "GD" flavour.

So the problem is that the windscreen washer on the passenger side doesn't seem to have any pressure behind it, it just dribbles out.  I've made a little video:

I've poked around with pins and given the nozzle itself a good wipe.  There's no water on the ground under/near the car so I don't think there's a leak anywhere, maybe just a blockage?

The driver side works perfectly fine - for the video I shoved a cloth over it as it'd soak me otherwise hahaha.  Suspect a blocked pipe but I don't know how to get to the tubes, I've done my best to try to look without pulling the car apart but the tubes seem to be embedded in the plastic with no obvious way to access them :(

Oh, I might be a noob but I have spanners, screwdrivers and a dangerous willingness to press "Do not press" buttons! So open to trying anything without resorting to taking the car to a garage! 

Many thanks for reading, I hope that I can get some good advice from the forum members!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:13:43 by badgerfruit »
  • I30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Probably blocked in tube with gunge from window screen additives .

Open bonnet and trace tube from washer bottle.
Along the right side wing you should see a joining point.

Split by gently pulling the side nearst window.

You need to blow thro', I've used a foot pump.

Hope that sorts it but if not then may need to blow from nozzle as blockage may be in branch.

Will have to remove nozzle.

That just pull out, care as held in by lugs which are plastic so may break if brittle.

Also, check nozzle as that may need replacing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:41:18 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks eye30, I shall give this a go later on and report back!
  • I30

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
So I found this pipe which, when squeezed, restricted flow to the front nozzles:

You can see it, far left in the engine bay.  It goes into the platic cover thing which goes all the way across the windscreen:

It's held on with a couple of these ... things

Are these easy to remove, am I likely to break them if I use a tool such as plyers to give them a little helping hand (pushing from the bottom).
  • I30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
They look to me like your approach with the pliers from below is the way. The centre pins are inserted to expand the plugs. When the pins are removed first, the plugs can be lifted out.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Pushing that central button downwards might free the clip and allow it to be pulled out, if it's anything like those on our CH-R

If it's a push button rivet clip then The Gonz's approach will work.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Okay, wish me luck - I presume if I do manage to break them/any, I can replace from ebay or somewhere similar?
  • I30

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Well, had a go.  The middle 2 came out pretty easily, the two on the ends however both broke :\  It's almost impossible to get under the metal part of the chassis to get anything under the pin.  Oh well, to ebay (if someone can tell me what they're called, that'd be appreciated!)

Anyway, all four off - then I needed to pop out two side pieces as seen in the last 2 photos but I couldn't remove the main plastic bit as I needed to take the wipers off!  I sort of drew a line there, having 2 retaining plastic things break on me is better than my wipers! (Although, it seems it's a case of just unscrew the big bolt??)

Anyway, I could get a finger to the main tube that feeds the passenger nozzle but nothing more.  Calling it a day, might pluck up the courage to destroy my car more at the weekend!
  • I30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:link: 7mm Push Fit Plastic Rivet, Hyundai 861552H100

Make sure you get the right size.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
@Shambles. That is a really useful link which I have bookmarked for future reference. It is so easy to break those clips.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Morning all.
Total noob here, I use my car to get to work and back and haul things from A to B so please bear with any wrong terminology or assumptions in my post!  It's a UK RHD i30, 2012-Present "GD" flavour.

So the problem is that the windscreen washer on the passenger side doesn't seem to have any pressure behind it, it just dribbles out.  I've made a little video:

I've poked around with pins and given the nozzle itself a good wipe.  There's no water on the ground under/near the car so I don't think there's a leak anywhere, maybe just a blockage?

The driver side works perfectly fine - for the video I shoved a cloth over it as it'd soak me otherwise hahaha.  Suspect a blocked pipe but I don't know how to get to the tubes, I've done my best to try to look without pulling the car apart but the tubes seem to be embedded in the plastic with no obvious way to access them :(

Oh, I might be a noob but I have spanners, screwdrivers and a dangerous willingness to press "Do not press" buttons! So open to trying anything without resorting to taking the car to a garage! 

Many thanks for reading, I hope that I can get some good advice from the forum members!

I have exactly the same issue.  Sometimes better than others  and I also have a GD.  Took one look under the bonnet but as you say, it's not easy to trace the tube or even get to.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Easy thing for me to scale and print if you run into trouble:
:link: Push Pin Clip / Push Rivet / Retaining Clip (Nissan, Infiniti) by scottmi - Thingiverse
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Before you decided to remove the cover did you locate the join in the tube and blow air through.

I have same model and year as you so I've attached photos of the location of the joining section.

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Before you decided to remove the cover did you locate the join in the tube and blow air through.

Ah, no - BUT given it's only 1 of 2 at the front that isn't working, I suspect that is clear - besides, when I pinched the tube to see if it was the correct one, I could feel a strong flow through it and into the cover.

I didn't get as far as totally removing the cover anyway so I will give it a check over tonight or tomorrow and post back!

Oh and quick edit: forgot to say thanks for not letting this thread die and posting the pictures!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:06:19 by badgerfruit »
  • I30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I would expect there is a further T join under the covering going to each nozzle.

It could be the tube to the passenger side from the join blocked so it may be worth removing the nozzle.

Same happened to mine and besides blowing through and cleaning the tank the nozzles were replaced, they did it as good will as they had not longed serviced an mot'd the car.

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Morning all.  I didn't get around to messing this weekend as I had hoped and we're away this week so won't be able to poke around.  I think what I might do is nip up to the local garage and see if they have some of these "pins" before I dismantle the thing again (after all, if I manage to break the last 2 then it's not wise to drive!).

I concur that there must be another T-join somewhere along the line and it's more than likely under the cowling/cover thing.

Anyway, I will update the post when I get chance to do any of this (having 3 kids and a long weekend away coming up, it won't be for a couple of weeks) so for now, thank you all for your replies, it's most appreciated :)

Regards!
  • I30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal