Portugal Holiday - Sept 2018

AlanHo · 13 · 15663

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
We are currently in Olhao,  Portugal Algarve staying with two friends in an apartment which faces the nature reserve.
It is a haven for bird watchers (the feathered kind) and there is a large flock of Flamingos resident here. I have never seen flamingos in the wild before – only in captivity.
This is the view from our balcony showing the abandoned salt evaporative pans – now home to flamingos and many other water birds.

This morning the flamingos were in one of the salt pans 720 metres away as measured on Google Earth. I took this picture with my trusty Lumix DMC Lumix TZ60 at maximum 30x zoom. I cannot hold the camera steady at such a high zoom but had the balcony railings to rest the camera on. Even then it is not pin sharp.

The flamingos are fairly timid creatures and it is not easy to get close to them. This is the best of the pictures I have taken so far during my morning walks across the sanctuary.

You can now have a laugh at my expense. This morning when the 4 of us set off for a walk, Libby wanted to take a photo of me wearing shorts – something I have not done for a very long time. I have some shorts which I claim to be the family tartan and a flat cap to match. It’s a con – I have no Scots blood in me.  Libby misled Graham, who is 6’ 4” (1.93 metres) tall, by asking if he could crouch a little because she was only taking head and shoulders picture - with the following result.  Graham is horrified. For heavens sake don’t tell him I have posted it here. As you can see, he is a youngster being only 78.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Maybe a little sun on the legs will help ….. ;)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Great photos :goodjob:

You should claim a council tax rebate as you're hardly ever at home :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Looks like he has cr@pped himself

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
nice photos Alan :goodjob2:

Looks like you had just smacked your mate in the nuts before the camera shot :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Alan. What Steve said!  :eek:

The closer Flamingo shot is great!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks for the pictures and info. Great to see that the salt pans have been turned into a santurary.  Ex flamingo shots .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

We have a Ford Focus Diesel Estate Auto on hire. It looks to be the top of the range model - with all the boys toys I have in my Niro.

After 4 days and 360km of driving it has rather changed my opinion of Ford cars.

It is well put together, nicely appointed, roomy, comfortable seats, good legroom, plenty of luggage space, is refined and nice to drive. Its only significant failings are  a very sensitive brake and accelerator action.

This is not helped by the gear positions being PRNFS in-line. It is too easy to slide through F and into S without realising - until you caress the loud pedal and it jerks everyone's head with violent acceleration. After 4 days I have got used to it and no longer kangaroo down the road by inadvertently selecting sport. In my Niro the gearbox auto gate is conventional and you pull the stick sideways to engage sport.

The reversing camera is superb with the clarity of a top-of-the-range dash cam - even at night. It puts the KIA one to shame.  This also applies to the built-in sat nav display. I wish the map display was as clear in my Niro. However - the sat nav is less user friendly in terms of setting a destination and geographical coordinates cannot be entered to create destinations or way points. The car is only 6 months old with 7400 km on the odometer,  The sat nav maps appear to be at least 2 to 3 years out-of-date.  I have brought my Garmin Nuvi with me and the maps and speed limit displays are much more reliable,

As usual, I have adapted easily to driving on the wrong side of the road and so far have made only one left/right mistake.  This was when we did some shopping.  Upon returning to the car I climbed into the drivers seat - only to find that someone had stolen the steering wheel.

I am enjoying this car and wish my Niro was as quiet in terms of road noise. Whether this is down to the car, or the Portuguese road surfaces, is anyone's guess.  Both cars have 16" rims with the same tyres.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's interesting feedback Alan. Thanks.  :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I need to post a correction to my original post regarding the Ford sat nav and the age of its maps.

We returned home today and on the drive to the airport I set the Ford sat nav to take us there. Fortunately I had set up my Garmin - otherwise we might have got lost.

For a long section of the route the Ford sat nav showed the car driving through wasteland. More than 5 years ago the European Union financed the construction of a new dual carriageway road from Olhao to Faro to replace the old single carriageway road that was a gridlock nightmare. The new road only shares the old route in a few sections and there are several new junctions and bridges.  None are shown on the Ford map - a disgrace for  car only a few months old. We did almost 1400 Km of journeys during the 10 days we were in Portugal and found the in-car sat-nav wrong so many times it became a joke.

The next time I find a member on a forum moaning about Hyundai and KIA maps being 2 years old I will suggest they buy a Ford. :evil:

I still quite enjoyed the car though - as did Libby and our friends.  The only other significant downside was that it was a bit too low for us arthritic wrinklies to get in and out of.

I saw a number of i30's and i20's during our travels - but only a few KIA's.  The majority of cars appear to be French, I expected SEAT to have a big presence because they are built in Spain next door. However, it seems that the Portuguese don't like the Spanish and the feeling is reciprocated.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

When we left home for our Portugal holiday it was summer – 10 days later and we have returned to it being autumn with heavy leaf fall from the trees in our retirement estate - and the full glory of autumn colours.

This is one corner of our garden showing an acer wearing its autumn coat and some roses having a second and late bloom of flowers having enjoyed a splendid hot and dry summer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! That's really nice Alan. Makes our yard look like a tip.  :-[

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 Beautiful colour Al  :goodjob:
Grass looks fantastic as well  :goodjob:  :winker:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal