i30 Owners Club

2.0l 1997 Diesel Problems

Offline celtickevin70

• 1st Gear
I'm currently locked in a bitter fight with Hyundai Finance (Blackhorse) over the seemingly never-ending series of problems with my 1997 2.0l CRDi Premium i30. Under UK consumer acts the car is covered potentially for 6 years.

I'm fairly convinced that my i30 is a particularly bad example and I'm confident that more modern non-2.0l models are really good cars.

I need to hear from all 2.0l i30 owners to ascertain what problems we have faced so that I can get a picture of the issues surrounding:

1.dual mass flywheels - 3 have now gone in my car after 5 and a bit years and less than 80,000 miles
2.electrical issues - headlights / fuses / alternators / wires shorting & nearly burning out the wiring loom
3.audio issues - radio & iPod dock
4.pressure sensing values - how many have snapped?
5.suspension - how many times have parts of the front been replaced?
6.tyres - how many sets of tyres have worn out on the inside shoulders?
7.esp light / rear brake sensor issues / steering sensor problems
8.bodywork - how thin is your paintwork?
9.mats - are yours made of what appears to be cardboard?

Mine's suffered from all of the above and it looks as though I may potentially be taking Hyundai to court unless they start to apply commonsense & commerciality to my case.

Also if anyone has a definitive reason why the 2.0l was withdrawn that would be great - I've been told that this was due to environmental reasons.

The popularity of the 2.0l from 1997 means that my car has tumbled from £17k new to under £4k now so I'm pretty much stuck with a car that needs a new flywheel each year and has cost more than £1000 in the last 4 months repairing electrical problems.

Any assistance in providing data would be great so that I can build my case.

Cheers

Kevin

• Hyundai i-30 2.0l CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
1997 eh?

A bad year for i30's :(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I need to hear from all 2.0l i30 owners to ascertain what problems we have faced so that I can get a picture of the issues surrounding: 2.0 CRDi owners are scarce on here unfortunately

1.dual mass flywheels - 3 have now gone in my car after 5 and a bit years and less than 80,000 miles
We had heard that dual mass flywheels can be troublesome (fortunately it appears not used in the 1.6 CRDi) Can't recall any other 2.0 Diesel owns mentioning this on the site though.
2.electrical issues - headlights / fuses / alternators / wires shorting & nearly burning out the wiring loom
Blown headlight globes in the 1.6 CRDi possibly due to poor earthing is very common.Other electrical issues are rare.
3.audio issues - radio & iPod dock (some issues have been reported but no more than other brands IMHO)
4.pressure sensing values - how many have snapped? Corrosion and subsequent weakening of the valve stems can be reduced/eliminated by regular application of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) or similar
5.suspension - how many times have parts of the front been replaced? Less common in the 1.6 CRDi due to less weight
6.tyres - how many sets of tyres have worn out on the inside shoulders?This is an issue with the 1.6 CRDi as well although extra weight of 2.0 motor probably makes it worse
7.esp light / rear brake sensor issues / steering sensor problems some issues with other i30's and other Hyundais reported on the web
8.bodywork - how thin is your paintwork? Yes, paint can be thin but quality continues to improve with subsequent models
9.mats - are yours made of what appears to be cardboard? A common complaint from i30 owners

Also if anyone has a definitive reason why the 2.0l was withdrawn that would be great - I've been told that this was due to environmental reasons. Due to the older engine design I suspect .. the newer 1.6 diesel has a chain driven cam, rather than a belt driven one which needs regular replacement

The popularity of the 2.0l from 1997? means that my car has tumbled from £17k new to under £4k now so I'm pretty much stuck with a car that needs a new flywheel each year and has cost more than £1000 in the last 4 months repairing electrical problems.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I'm currently locked in a bitter fight with Hyundai Finance (Blackhorse) over the seemingly never-ending series of problems with my 1997 2.0l CRDi Premium i30. Under UK consumer acts the car is covered potentially for 6 years.

I'm fairly convinced that my i30 is a particularly bad example and I'm confident that more modern non-2.0l models are really good cars.

I need to hear from all 2.0l i30 owners to ascertain what problems we have faced so that I can get a picture of the issues surrounding:

3.audio issues - radio & iPod dock
4.pressure sensing values - how many have snapped?
5.suspension - how many times have parts of the front been replaced?
6.tyres - how many sets of tyres have worn out on the inside shoulders?
7.esp light / rear brake sensor issues / steering sensor problems
8.bodywork - how thin is your paintwork?
9.mats - are yours made of what appears to be cardboard?

Mine's suffered from all of the above and it looks as though I may potentially be taking Hyundai to court unless they start to apply commonsense & commerciality to my case.

Also if anyone has a definitive reason why the 2.0l was withdrawn that would be great - I've been told that this was due to environmental reasons.

The popularity of the 2.0l from 1997 means that my car has tumbled from £17k new to under £4k now so I'm pretty much stuck with a car that needs a new flywheel each year and has cost more than £1000 in the last 4 months repairing electrical problems.

Any assistance in providing data would be great so that I can build my case.

Cheers

Kevin

Here's what I've experienced with my 2008 1,6 CRDi.

I bought it 2. hand with 126.000 km 2 years ago, car was 3 years and 3 months old at that time. Have now 178.000 on the clock.

2. Shortly after purchase the wiring  loom in the left headlight got burnt at the connectors at the bulb. Dealer fitted new wiring under dealers warranty, not the cars warranty.

5. at 173.500 k I had the left steering rod/ball joint. The manchet was broken.

6. I have problems with the camber on the rear axle, cant get them within specs, but have not yet seen excessive wear on the shoulders.

7. ESP & ABS light came on now and then during this weekend. Went to the dealer today. 5 faults, regarding steering angle sensor, abs sensors...
The tech said he just recently had a similar problem with an i30.He said; Just clean the grounding points on both suspension tower, and all will be good again. I will try that.

8. Too thin. Especially behind the rear doors on the wheel arch. Paint is allmos gone there. Other brands put some thick foil on those places, that could help a lot.
The paint on the panels, do you call it that..? the part under the doors, between the wheelarches. Even though there's mud flaps on my car, there's very visible wear on the panels.

9. Yes.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline celtickevin70

• 1st Gear
Thank you for your responses to date, Dazzler knowledgeable as always

Asterix, thank you for all of your time & comments, I was particularly interested about the paint on the wheel arches behind the rear doors, Hyundai had blamed repeated knocking from the rear seatbelts for this on my car even though the rear seats are used maybe 3-4 times a year. If only I could find someone else with a rusty boot lid like mine where apparently I've caught it in 4 different places with a ring - identically on both sides.....chortle. Interesting about the wiring loom in the headlight, my problem was in connection with the wiring loom behind the dashboard, apparently the wire running from the LED for the heated seats had rubbed against a bracket, worn the insulation away and then started to short. Took the garage days to track this down and had to take a significant amount of trim off to find this.

Shambles - yep, at least they have learnt from their mistakes, although obviously they won't admit that they've made any....

Cheers again

Kevin
 :goodjob2:
  • Hyundai i-30 2.0l CRDi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So is your car 2007 not 1997 as that would make it 15+ years old?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
So is your car 2007 not 1997 as that would make it 15+ years old?

Confuddled me too!
The OP actually does state 1997 twice in his original Post, once at the start, and again at the end...

:Dunno:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline celtickevin70

• 1st Gear
Yes it is indeed a 2007, dealing with Hyundai has aged me 10 years, senility has apparently now kicked in!
  • Hyundai i-30 2.0l CRDi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
dealing with Hyundai has aged me 10 years,

:rofl:   :laughter:   :rofl:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my hatch has stone chips on the guard arches behind the rear doors ,it almost looks like its been sand blasted.  :disapp: 
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
my hatch has stone chips on the guard arches behind the rear doors ,it almost looks like its been sand blasted.  :disapp:

Mine too, thnk god for my Touch up paint  :goodjob2:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

:whsaid:

Mine also. Looks like it's been in a warzone... :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal