i30 Owners Club

'ENGINE WATCHDOG' Overheating alarm-Engine/Auto trans.

jwhjwb · 4 · 2222

Offline jwhjwb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Redbank, Qld
2011 FD CW 2L petrol & Auto Trans.  Am considering fitting an " Engine Watchdog" temperature overheat warning alarm.  Has anybody any experience with these units.  The T4 Unit I am considering is a dual unit, monitors motor and auto trans.  Any comments appreciated re
 Reviewing the unit:
 Where to fit the unit on/under the dash:
 If worthwhile monitoring the auto trans temperature:
 Most practical hard-wire point to use that is on/off via the ignition (eg. rear of lighter socket)

There is now a T1 Unit which super-cedes the still available T2 Unit - both only monitor the Engine Temp.

FIY:  I have just completed fitting reversing sensors (a cheap kit) & working well.  Difficult but not difficult if I had to do another on a similar veh. 

Send me a PM if you need to talk by phone.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:50:58 by Phil №❶ »
  • MY 11 FD CW Wagon 2.0L petrol Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Why the need to monitor it any better than the standard system does? are you going to use it for a lot of towing?

You might also find a cheap OB11 plugin app that might provide the same functions :undecided:

I wouldn't be placing personal phone numbers on an open forum either :eek:

EDIT! I see Phil removed the number :goodjob:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:54:59 by CraigB »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Why the need to monitor it any better than the standard system does? are you going to use it for a lot of towing?
:

I'm repeating Craig's sentiments, why reinvent the wheel?
The ECU is already monitoring various temperatures and you have the best overall device right in front of you... a coolant temperature Gauge.

If there is one device I would add to the i30, its an oil pressure gauge. Old school, but gives a lot of info if the car is doing heavy work or has been mistreated.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal