i30 Owners Club

Once in a Lifetime??

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
For obvious reasons I couldn't get a photo but at 4.45 this morning, I pulled up to look at the surf. Still dark but with the almost full moon low in the west and a bank of cloud covering the eastern half of the sky and a fine mist falling, there was a complete rainbow visible. The colours were clear if a bit muted but the whole thing was generated by the brightness of the moon. An absolutely awesome (and probably once in a lifetime) sight.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wiki says the colours aren't usually visible so this one was rare indeed.

A moonbow (also known as a lunar rainbow or white rainbow), is a rainbow produced by moonlight rather than sunlight. Other than the difference in the light source, its formation is the same as for a solar rainbow: It is caused by the refraction of light in many water droplets, such as a rain shower or a waterfall, and is always positioned in the opposite part of the sky from the moon relative to the observer.
Moonbows are much fainter than solar rainbows, due to the smaller amount of light reflected from the surface of the moon. Because the light is usually too faint to excite the cone colour receptors in human eyes, it is difficult for the human eye to discern colours in a moonbow. As a result, a moonbow often appears to be white.[1] However, the colours in a moonbow do appear in long exposure photographs.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Awesome Trevor. Congrats... such a shame no way of capturing it. If you ever see one again and have your phone with you. Try doing a short video.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Awesome Trevor. Congrats... such a shame no way of capturing it. If you ever see one again and have your phone with you. Try doing a short video.  :cool:

I tried both photos and video.
No luck.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Oh bugger..  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I wish I'd seen that. Sounds magnificent :D

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal