i30 Owners Club

Considering buying Diesel I30, but unsure.

Offline i30autoju

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Prahran, Vic
Hi, I've owned a petrol 1.8 (Trophy) I 30 I bought new in 2014.  The car has performed faultlessly and been a pleasure to own.  It's now done 60,000 k's and only a few months warranty left.  Always serviced fully and never abused, travelling 90% highway miles.   It's difficult to think of a reason to sell it other than the warranty runs out soon (no great concern really), but mainly I feel like a new one and some power would be enjoyable.  Actually, it's my wife's car, but I drive it a lot.
I've been checking out other brands and even test drove one (I won't name), but in my opinion it wasn't as good as the I 30 I was considering trading in and then I had to pay thousands of dollars for the privilege.   I'ts only been on very rare occasions I've missed more power from the I.8 engine.  I don't want the petrol turbo, having never owned a petrol turbo car (apart from a turbo diesel Triton for a few years).  Anyhow, I'm think of changing over to a new I 30 diesel.  Reading about the problems experienced by some I 30 diesel owners creates some uncertainty, but it would be under new car warranty after-all and the extra grunt of the diesel is appealing.
I would be very appreciative of any comments from diesel owners regarding the extra power and reliability I might expect from going diesel.  Also service costs compared to petrol.  i know some better fuel economy is likely too, but I'm not too concerned about that, the petrol one I have is economical enough for me.  The 6 sp Auto in my current I 30 is brilliant, but what about the dual clutch in the diesel?

• Fords

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi, I've owned a petrol 1.8 (Trophy) I 30 I bought new in 2014.  The car has performed faultlessly and been a pleasure to own.  It's now done 60,000 k's and only a few months warranty left.  Always serviced fully and never abused, travelling 90% highway miles.   It's difficult to think of a reason to sell it other than the warranty runs out soon (no great concern really), but mainly I feel like a new one and some power would be enjoyable.  Actually, it's my wife's car, but I drive it a lot.
I've been checking out other brands and even test drove one (I won't name), but in my opinion it wasn't as good as the I 30 I was considering trading in and then I had to pay thousands of dollars for the privilege.   I'ts only been on very rare occasions I've missed more power from the I.8 engine.  I don't want the petrol turbo, having never owned a petrol turbo car (apart from a turbo diesel Triton for a few years).  Anyhow, I'm think of changing over to a new I 30 diesel.  Reading about the problems experienced by some I 30 diesel owners creates some uncertainty, but it would be under new car warranty after-all and the extra grunt of the diesel is appealing.
I would be very appreciative of any comments from diesel owners regarding the extra power and reliability I might expect from going diesel.  Also service costs compared to petrol.  i know some better fuel economy is likely too, but I'm not too concerned about that, the petrol one I have is economical enough for me.  The 6 sp Auto in my current I 30 is brilliant, but what about the dual clutch in the diesel?
DCT, @nzenigma starting hear of some wear and tear issues and not with high mileage either in the forums here wheter it be i30, i40 etc.

Still fairly new tech. I personally can't comment. Not aware of any huge issues with the diesels though but I do have the old non DPF FD series. I think the motors themselves when serviced regularly go a blood y long way, maybe not the turbo.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I'll quote again an RACQ towwie who never needs to pick up an i30 diesel , so that is what he bought his wife.

The DCT acts like a manual trans so more power than a fluid drive. If you only do 60,000 km. the car is still new, you have warranty so outside chance of problem you are covered.
The DCT s will be expensive repairs outside warranty, Im cautious at this stage.
Sorry being distracted here. Dont know what problems you would hear about the CRDi.  :crazy2:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi i30autoju,

I think a PD diesel would be awesome.  The fact we now get DPF on them in Australia shouldn't be an issue as long as you give her a good highway run every week or two.

Like Gary hinted at, the Hyundai /Kia diesel is an excellent motor. Economical, reliable and torquey.  Obviously the first thing to do if you can find stock is drive one to see if there is enough difference in performance to justify the upgrade.

If not you would be pretty safe to keep a one owner with only 60,000 kms outside the warranty period.

Please keep us in the loop!  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30autoju

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Prahran, Vic
Thanks for the helpful advice.  There are a few adverse issues covered in the Forum regarding the Diesels.  Probably not huge when you consider how many must be on the road.  Anyhow, I'll see if I can get a test drive and will let you know how it goes.  Our current I 30 is as new really and seems to be running even better lately, maybe it's now run in fully.  Running perfectly so we'll get rid of it, seems a bit silly but a change after 5 years seems right for us.  Anyhow, I'll check out the latest offerings at Hyundai.  Much appreciated.
  • Fords

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
"There are a few adverse issues covered in the Forum regarding the Diesels"

not much that I know of.  :undecided:

You will find adverse and positive comment on virtually every car ever made.
 But who makes the comment, are they knowledgeable? have they ever held a spanner? are they just motor-mouthers who never return?

You need to follow any issue to its conclusion; what was the evidence and verdict?

Thats why I state that my knowledge about the DCT is limited and Im simply cautious about post-warranty repair costs, IF THEY ARE EVER NEEDED>.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:50:16 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
There is an olde argument about the premium paid for the diesel engine vs the recovering that premium through running costs, ie, you need to drive more to make it worthwhile. I'm calling bs on that argument, I bought mine because I wanted one for the way they go. In the GD there is no doubt you have a diesel engine out front at idle, but its not especially obtrusive. On the highway this is a relaxing car to drive at highway speeds. Saying its like a small V8 might be stretching it a bit, but I'll just put that out there.

Acceleration is either relaxed or brutal, depending on your mood - there is plenty of performance at any speed should you wish. Highway mileage is as low as mid 4's, round town, 8 or so. I have a petrol engined Golf and its about the same however diesel is a lot cheaper than the premium petrol the Golf demands. I fill the car once a month anyway, whether it needs it or not.

I like it a lot but now there is a turbo petrol engine available, I'd probably go that way next time. Number of drivetrain issues with this car = 0. It feels like it will go forever.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
There is an olde argument about the premium paid for the diesel engine vs the recovering that premium through running costs, ie, you need to drive more to make it worthwhile. I'm calling bs on that argument, I bought mine because I wanted one for the way they go. In the GD there is no doubt you have a diesel engine out front at idle, but its not especially obtrusive. On the highway this is a relaxing car to drive at highway speeds. Saying its like a small V8 might be stretching it a bit, but I'll just put that out there.

Acceleration is either relaxed or brutal, depending on your mood - there is plenty of performance at any speed should you wish. Highway mileage is as low as mid 4's, round town, 8 or so. I have a petrol engined Golf and its about the same however diesel is a lot cheaper than the premium petrol the Golf demands. I fill the car once a month anyway, whether it needs it or not.

I like it a lot but now there is a turbo petrol engine available, I'd probably go that way next time. Number of drivetrain issues with this car = 0. It feels like it will go forever.

:judges: :whsaid: :agreed: :Agoodpost:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ditto. I never buy into the Diesel cost argument. I got one because I prefer it. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
We have a PD Elite for a little over a year now, but under 10k kays. The only issue we had was the BSM switching off on long country drives where there is nothing to detect. Reset itself every time you restart, so the issue isn't significant. We got the Elite for the same price the SR was going for so the purchase cost premium for the diesel variant was no issue. Love the car, plenty quick off the lights especially in sport mode. The motor is quite hard to hear inside, much better sound insulation than the GD. We love it. Got it in that dark metallic blue with the cream leather interior. With the window tint looks outright classy. Can highly recommend it.

I would suggest to have a test drive of one for as long as the dealer will let you have it.

• 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
60k is a baby. I would keep it for a couple of years.

Even if you were to be unfortunate enough to hit a mechanical snag, It would probably cost less than the first years depreciation on a new one.

If you were to consider a diesel, 15k a year isn't a lot of k's to regen the DPF and take advantage of the economy for payback.

Now Toyota has a 5 year warranty the hybrid Corolla might be worth a test drive.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
60k is a baby. I would keep it for a couple of years.

Even if you were to be unfortunate enough to hit a mechanical snag, It would probably cost less than the first years depreciation on a new one.

:goodjob2:
Or equal to the immediate loss in value as she drives the new car out of the showroom.  :wink:
Thankfully, I wont have that 15% new car loss when I buy her baby that has only done 37,000 miles  :happydance:

Offline i30autoju

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Prahran, Vic
Have digested all that helpful advice, much appreciated.  I know there's a good case for keeping the one I have.  I think I identify with those who just like the extra grunt.  I've located a dealer who can provide a test drive, will report back on the experience in due course.  Thanks again.
  • Fords

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looking forward to hearing what you think. I haven't driven a PD diesel.  Scarse as hens teath down here. :mrgreen:

Offline i30autoju

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Prahran, Vic
Ok. I'm reporting back with my experience at the dealer and I'm really over any desire I had to buy a new car.  Actually, I have nothing to report other than I've decided to keep the great little car I have, at least until I get a lot more of my money's worth out of it.  The diesel I was led to believe was available to drive wasn't unavailable.  The salesman tried to sell me a turbo I 30 petrol despite having made it clear I didn't want one. Offered me a drive in the turbo to try out but I declined because I thought it was a waste of time.  I had my immaculate I 30 there and they looked at it together with the impressive service history.  Said they currently had too many trade-ins in stock and didn't really want it.  We talked about a likely changeover price for a new (or near new) Active diesel and this was a little more than I expected.  I know they have to start somewhere with negotiations, but it was looking like nearly $20K changeover and I didn't feel like making any lower offers.  They had started negotiations at the top retail price despite offering a 2018 car which (I thought) should have involved some discount.  I mentioned this but the salesman responded saying my trade-in was also a year older (I suppose that's correct but it wouldn't depreciate as much as the new one).
Anyhow, at that point my own I 30 was looking pretty good and I thought about other places I would rather be.   I told them I would let them know when my car gets serviced next and see if I could test drive a diesel then, but I might have other ideas by that time.  Anyhow, it's been an interesting exercise and luckily didn't cost me anything.  Thanks again for helpful advice, happy motoring.
  • Fords

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for the update.  Not a good experience by the sound of it. Think you've done the right thing. Some of these places have no idea! They need a good lesson in PR.

I could reelate to all the things you experienced in that situation, it could have been handled so much better. I doubt you will rush back to that dealership when you are ready to make a move.

It is a shame one wasn't available as I would have liked to hear your feedback.   :Pout:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Glad you didn't let yourself get talked into buying what you weren't after.
So much BS from salesperson  :disapp:
Enjoy your current one for a bit longer  and NEVER  go back  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I hate dealers.

Always sell your own car, especally when it is low km with good service history. Dealers react well to a cash only easy deal.  Watch Car Sales as diesels come up occasionally rather cheap. If you are in no hurry, dont march to their drum.

Finally bask in the irony that the dealers promote a good dealer service history as adding value to a car, but when they get the chance to get a good low k full service history car they don't want it. Bear this in mind when deciding where to service your car in future.....

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
   :whsaid: :brilliant:

Some days Beerman is so sober he just makes my day.   :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid: :brilliant:

Some days Beerman is so sober he just makes my day.   :goodjob2:

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes he makes me want to become a beer drinker.. then I read one of Lesters jokes and I go off the idea..  :snigger:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :rofl:

That salesman would have been salivating at the prospect of getting an immaculate 60k i30. Overloaded, dont need it....  :whistler: he would have taken it himself and made an easy $3-4K on the private market or trade auction.

A while back, I was in Arizona intending to pay cash for a 2 year old, diesel Chev 4x4 pickup. Got stuck with LardAss, a blowhard who thought he was God's gift to 'wood ducks' ( trade term for buyers with trade-ins) :cool:.
Went back the next day, cutout the creature and talked directly to the dealership's owner, did a rational business deal, bought two 4x4 pickups.  :happydance: They came filled with fuel and they paid a 2nd driver to help me move them to LA.
The look on LardAss's face made it an even sweeter deal.  :evil:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Once you sit them down and tell them you really don't care who makes the sale, you don't believe for a second that they need to speak to someone because the deal is so hot they could be fired and you want x car and you will pay Y for it, deal or no deal oh and by the way you walked out on the guy down the road who stuffed you around, and we both know he will call soon and do the deal, so clocks ticking.....

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
It's a market.
An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay and it's the same when you're the one selling. When selling you always add "fat" into the price. When buying you always want it for next to nothing  :lol:.  Let the dance of selling /purchasing begin.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal