i30 Owners Club

Wiring thru firewall

Offline Oldrider52

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi All
After suggestions where to route some wiring(UHF & Driving lights)thru the firewall on GD hatch.
  • 2016 GD 5 Door Hatch, petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Grey

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I wired up LED driving lights and found there was nothing behind the firewall I needed. All switching was done via the fusing and relays in the engine compartment, especially for a Australian-legal configuration slaved to your high beam. As for UHF, what part of that needs it?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Oldrider52

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Actually wondering where to run the wires thru a firewall grommet somewhere. Uhf aerial coax.
  • 2016 GD 5 Door Hatch, petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Grey

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Same approach as for any car, I guess, and I've done it on a few in my time. Locate the mother-of-all-looms coming through for all the dashboard wiring where there is likely to be the most generous grommet real estate and very carefully push a wide-enough screwdriver through it. :Dunno:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Fury

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Same approach as for any car, I guess, and I've done it on a few in my time. Locate the mother-of-all-looms coming through for all the dashboard wiring where there is likely to be the most generous grommet real estate and very carefully push a wide-enough screwdriver through it. :Dunno:

As an ex motor trimmer, (retired) this method is the recommended technique in the industry. Any holes through the firewall "could" technically change the insurance conditions and if the vehicle needs to have an engineering survey (pits inspection etc) it would not meet that countries specification.

Back to the large grommet, sometimes there is a large twist in the loom, on the other side of the grommet, so just be aware that you could be digging into the loom, so just beware of that.

Also, you can use a lubricant, such as silicone oil spray that will stop the rubber grommet from sticking on the screwdriver or tool. These grommets may actually have 2 rubber skins, like a firewall face and a loom tail to meet those firewall conditions. Applying lubricant will make the job a whole lot easier. (avoid something sticky like vasoline or that could damage the loom)

As a tradesman, I used a small tube, with a beveled end, which gave the advantage of feeding the wire through the tube (and the grommet) was a piece of cake, then unthread the wire from the tube.  ( I had a set of tubes of different sizes, but I mostly used 1 hard steel one so it didn't bend ant tighten on the wire.
  • 2009 FD SR 5 Door Hatch, petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Red

Offline outback jack

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Not sure if all models/specs have it. There is sometimes a blank rubber grommet on passengers side in wheel arch. You have to take off the plastic cover in the wheel arch near door. Seen others use it on a I30. Dont have any pics sorry
  • 2013 I30 Active Tourer. Diesel Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal