i30 Owners Club

Headlamp wiring recall

baroudeur · 21 · 10235

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
On a recent service the dealer said that a 'service mod' had been done to "prevent water running down the harness into the headlamp". It seems that the wiring harness behind the headlamps was modified with a new section being fitted between headlamp and first connector block with a length of harness about 20mm thick and 300mm long left dangling (actually it's laid behind the fuse block on the left side).
I seem to recall seeing something which  referred to  a resistor to prevent headlamp bulbs blowing but I cannot find it.

Anyone got any information please as to exactly what was involved in this specific modification?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This particular mod lengthens the wire, so water doesn't run to the connector. The earthing problem is a separate issue.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Never heard of this mod. Is it for the FD? :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
This particular mod lengthens the wire, so water doesn't run to the connector. The earthing problem is a separate issue.

That's what the dealer said. However, the short length of new  harness seems no longer than the original and I cannot see how water would get anywhere near it but has this 300mm length of harness tube hanging down on the right and tucked along the side of the fuse box on the left..  Before I open it to have a look I wondered if anyone knew what it was.

I did see a post about an earthing mod which showed a black box adjacent to the headlamp but this is not what I have got

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Is there actually a fix for the FD head lights always blowing on the diesel? I'm on to my 3rd set in 12months!
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Is there actually a fix for the FD head lights always blowing on the diesel? I'm on to my 3rd set in 12months!

Sort of.. A few have mentioned having an earthing mod done, but nothing official as far as I know.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Sort of.. A few have mentioned having an earthing mod done, but nothing official as far as I know.  :cool:
Have you got auto headlights and do you leave them on all the time?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

TSB HFE12-92-C140-FD

Regards

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

TSB HFE12-92-C140-FD

Regards

Thanks "Lorian" nice to see you still visiting after 5 years as a Member...  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
On a recent service the dealer said that a 'service mod' had been done to "prevent water running down the harness into the headlamp". It seems that the wiring harness behind the headlamps was modified with a new section being fitted between headlamp and first connector block with a length of harness about 20mm thick and 300mm long left dangling (actually it's laid behind the fuse block on the left side).
I seem to recall seeing something which  referred to  a resistor to prevent headlamp bulbs blowing but I cannot find it.

Anyone got any information please as to exactly what was involved in this specific modification?

Yes I remeber Readin the thread about the resister and I can't find it either,I have just had a run of blown bulbs again in both our cars
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Lengthening the wiring loom to stop water ingress is not related to lamp burnout at all. A resistor is not the fix for lamp failures either.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Lengthening the wiring loom to stop water ingress is not related to lamp burnout at all. A resistor is not the fix for lamp failures either.

What about a power surge box,I think I still have one in the shed somewhere
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There's a large discussion about what specifically causes the filament's to burn out, it's a bit beyond me so I can't advise on surge protection however, this is my thinking.

If the filaments are given time to go from cold to white hot, the thermal shock will be lessened and they can be over driven by volts, to a certain degree. So I'm considering a soft on mod. We blew our 1st in Lila the other day so watching and waiting to see if it is going to become regular or not.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

When my dealer installed the fix to stop water entering the headlamp (that's what he said the fix was for) it included a length of closed end corrugated tubing into which the headlamp harness disappeared.  On the right hand side it lies vertically below the headlight and on the left it is tucked horizontally behind the fuse/relay box. This section is installed between the original  headlamp wiring connectors.

It would seem that this tube doesn't have anything to do with water entering the headlamps so what is inside?  There is no point in lengthening the harness unless it includes some sort of module and serves some purpose.  Perhaps I should open it up and look?

On my car the  earth connections from the fuse/relay box had a light  verdigris  coating  from new.  I cleaned and greased them to prevent any repeat.  Strangely, my dealer insists on using copious amounts of copper grease on my battery terminals despite my notice  on the battery saying "do not grease" but ignored what must be a common fault with the earth connection..

Edit:  My i30 is now three years old and still with the original bulbs including the modified foglamps as DRLs.  Over fifty years motoring and thirty plus vehicles I have never changed a headlamp bulb.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 15:07:44 by baradeur »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My old i30 now nearly 7 yo in sept still has all the factory fitted bulbs.  No new bulbs have been fitted
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

When my dealer installed the fix to stop water entering the headlamp (that's what he said the fix was for) it included a length of closed end corrugated tubing into which the headlamp harness disappeared.  On the right hand side it lies vertically below the headlight and on the left it is tucked horizontally behind the fuse/relay box. This section is installed between the original  headlamp wiring connectors.

It would seem that this tube doesn't have anything to do with water entering the headlamps so what is inside?  There is no point in lengthening the harness unless it includes some sort of module and serves some purpose.  Perhaps I should open it up and look?

On my car the  earth connections from the fuse/relay box had a light  verdigris  coating  from new.  I cleaned and greased them to prevent any repeat.  Strangely, my dealer insists on using copious amounts of copper grease on my battery terminals despite my notice  on the battery saying "do not grease" but ignored what must be a common fault with the earth connection..

Edit:  My i30 is now three years old and still with the original bulbs including the modified foglamps as DRLs.  Over fifty years motoring and thirty plus vehicles I have never changed a headlamp bulb.

I too have driven many years and never replaced a bulb in any of MY cars.

Rather than compromise your wiring, perhaps an explanation from the dealer, about what's inside the corrugated section. My understanding about water ingress is that there must be a circumstance where water gravitates down the wiring. Whether this is from condensation, spray or some other event I'm not sure.

A resistor will reduce the current flow through the wire. Think of a herd of sheep all trying to get through a single sheep gate, there is resistance and that in turn causes heat which is definitely not what you want in wiring. As well, the resistor will continuously resist the current and then you would find that your lights are dim which is also not what we want at all.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Rather than compromise your wiring, perhaps an explanation from the dealer, about what's inside the corrugated section.

The dealer was reluctant (or unable) to explain what the mod was after I has seen the extra wiring and asked about it.

I have now opened the tube and there is nothing to compromise as I have wrapped it again exactly as it was.....it is merely a length of wire doubled back and forth 6 or 8 times. There are no devices in the conduit tube.

So it is a resistance wire.  If not why fold several lengths of wire into a conduit tube?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, it sounds like the resistance heat will be safely dissipated throughout the full length of the wire. I presume it will work ok. You might want to see how warm it gets after an hour of night driving. :rolleyes:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yes, it sounds like the resistance heat will be safely dissipated throughout the full length of the wire. I presume it will work ok. You might want to see how warm it gets after an hour of night driving. :rolleyes:

But wrapping and encasing tightly in conduit  goes against all good practice.  :confused:

PS:  I am still puzzled by the lack of comment by others who must have has this mod done as a service fix.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If it's a resistance wire, I would expect that the resistance will be minimal, so there shouldn't be any appreciable heat build up at all, so encasing is a neat and professional way to store the length of wire needed.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal