Sat Nav Mapping

AlanHo · 9 · 4395

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
As a registered user of HERE maps I am one of thousands of Hyundai and KIA owners who today probably received an Email from them with the following expected news.

On 4th of December, Nokia has completed the sale of its HERE business to a consortium comprised of AUDI AG, BMW Group, and Daimler AG. Bla bla bla.................etc.

I suppose this change in ownership is going to encourage - if not force - Hyundai/KIA and other brands to get their mapping from elsewhere.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Probably not a bad thing...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
HERE maps, etc.. don't seem to be too bad - at least via iOS/Android apps (course they can update at anytime).

It just seems when you involve in-car satnav and/or Hyundai - somehow it goes crappy... latest updates have 6-12month old maps, etc..   But then the question becomes is that an issue with HERE or with Hyundai and/or both?   Basically if Hyundai makes the updates, or employs the third parties who make the satnavs (which I assume are different depending on region/market), then one or both could lead to slow downs - esp. if they don't consider it high priority.   Likewise if it comes from HERE but the SLA Hyundai has isn't particularly tight then HERE might work on others with tighter SLA timeframes, etc.

Course then you have the Australia situation - where only dealers/service can apply the updates.   While in the EU/UK - you can download and do it yourself... so long as your head-unit has a certain version or higher on it - 5.3 or something.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The present situation with Hyundai and KIA is that if you go to the HERE website to download a map update you get a message that states "To get the latest version of your map, you will need to contact your local Hyundai dealer"

When you now go your dealer you find that they know nothing about it.

If, like me you Email KIA Customer Services and ask for clarification you get the following reply

"Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.

We're currently putting together a package regarding sat nav updates for our models.

At the moment I'm unable to confirm any specific details, however this will be communicated to customers early in the new year.

If you have any other questions in the meantime please feel free to get back in touch."

Hence, for the present, KIA owners (and I presume Hyundai owners) whose cars use LG Head Units loaded with HERE mapping, are in limbo

A clue might be that some new KIA Models (But not the Venga) now come with Tom Tom maps.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 14:42:26 by AlanHo »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The present situation with Hyundai and KIA is that if you go to the HERE website to download a map update you get a message that states "To get the latest version of your map, you will need to contact your local Hyundai dealer"

If, like me you Email and ask for clarification you get the following reply

We're currently putting together a package regarding sat nav updates for our models.

At the moment I'm unable to confirm any specific details, however this will be communicated to customers early in the new year.

If you have any other questions in the meantime please feel free to get back in touch."

Hence, for the present, KIA owners (and I presume Hyundai owners) whose cars use LG Head Units loaded with HERE mapping, are in limbo

A clue might be that some new KIA Models (But not the Venga) now come with Tom Tom maps.

Ahh okay -well assuming it is the same for Hyundai owners (just checked on hyundai.navigation.com - the HERE site) - then that has changed since a few months ago...  wondering if it changed around early December?
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

If, like me you Email and ask for clarification you get the following reply

The more I read about integrated sat navs the more I am happy with my Garmin Nuvi (looking smug about the situation) and I do believe that it was you who I have to thank for my move to Garmin Alan, so than you  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

A Note of caution @asathorny before you get carried away - Garmin used Navteq maps who were re-named HERE. Hence Garmin use HERE maps. The question is - can this continue.

Something else I learned during my recent browsing is that it's the map supplier - HERE - provide not just the maps - but the software and some of the built-in add-on goodies like the voice guidance, the junction views, diagrams and photos, etc. It is then the satnav manufacturer who decides whether and how these features figure in their offer.

This implies that changing to another map supplier is not easy, because the Head Unit or Satnav uses HERE technology and not just maps. The evidence is that Hyundai and KIA are trying to break away and new models (rather than facelifts like my Venga) have different head units which allow them to use Tom Tom maps.  Google maps is possibly not an option, because their maps do not include voice guidance and other extras necessary to run a proper satnav service. That has to be done by bespoke satnav software on the device

I could be wrong of course.............. :hatoff: :fingers:

It so happens that I have built in satnav - but I also use my Garmin Nuvi when roaming far afield to gain the benefit of speed camera warnings, real time speed display and sometimes better traffic warnings and more up-to-date maps. 

If my built in satnav did all that Garmin would be history.

The built in satnav has better voice guidance, I can easily input data using geographic coordinates and I can zoom the map with a knob rather than try to double finger swipe the screen

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 14:50:58 by AlanHo »

Offline huntdm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Florey, ACT
I had been looking to see if it was possible to obtain map updates for my 2014 i30, and with others kept getting a referral back to my dealer.

Today my maps were updated to 2014 Q3, at my local Hyundai dealer in Canberra and I was informed this is the latest version available.  I followed through on one of the websites listed in the Help section from the mappping menu to see the full details of the maps that were installed.  This led me to the navfusion link and then to the naviextras link ( indicated below) which offer the later 2015 Q3 map update for Australia and New Zealand at a cost of approx $45 US.  At the moment I am being a little cautious as to whether I should purchase the map and use the Navextras Toolbox program from the installation instructions to make up a USB drive to add a later update to the maps installed today.  I will get these updates free if I wait now until next year, but having the option to purchase the latest maps from naviextras.com is a bonus.

:link: NavFusion Platform And Connected Car Solutions

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newCatalog?view=item&salesPackageCode=60313

David
  • i30 Premium Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If they work probably worth US$45 ... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal