i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 SX 2009 (Australia) power steering failure

sallyid · 38 · 22260

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I'm sorry to say but don't hold your breath. It might last a little bit but I think it will return before too long.
Using a second hand unit will be fine. Swap them out and recalibrate MDPS (remind your mechanic to get shear bolts for steering lock) Just make sure they give you some warranty on the part.
Were the tyres worn on the inner edges? That's pretty common. Need to rotate and align at each service.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline sallyid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Aranda, ACT
I definitely won't hold my breath  :rolleyes: It is inside of the tyres that have worn. The front left tyre has worn the most due to the wheel alignment being out. Thanks for your tip regarding the second hand steering column   :)
  • Hyundai i30 SX 2009

Offline Cycad

• 1st Gear
Hi
Have just had the same problem happen on my car.
Has anyone managed to get theirs fixed without having to have the whole steering column replaced? I do need a wheel alignment. Did that cause the failure???
  • Hyundai i30

Offline sallyid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Aranda, ACT
Hi Cycad I definitely feel your pain - it is such an annoying issue!

Update for everyone interested - My car's power steering has been fine since the last computer reset and wheel alignment carried out about 5 weeks ago. Since then I have had all four tyres replaced (desperately needed it very uneven wearing) and a wheel alignment again which has caused no further problems so far. Fingers crossed this will continue. However, from research carried out by my mechanic and others' advice on this forum I believe the power steering failure problem could very well reoccur. In fact it seems a given that this will happen.

I do not really understand why the wheel alignment & computer reset has worked so far.  I am of course relieved not to have had to pay $3800 to fix my car yet but am also concerned that this could happen again & at any time. Of course I hope that my car bucks the usual trend and perhaps if others out there have had similar results using other methods this could be used as evidence for other solutions ....? Unfortunately I am no mechanic or even a car enthusiast so I cannot offer any advice as such.
  • Hyundai i30 SX 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good posting Sally... Very frustrating and a real worry!  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :whsaid:

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, as the steering is electric a computer reset may in fact clear your problem forever. In old times, when steering was hydraulic with a pump, you had to get it fixed by a mechanic which gave you confidence in the result.

We don't know exactly what changes take place on a reset, but I hope you have escaped the replacement of the whole steering system.

Please be careful and prepared, just in case.  :eek:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline sallyid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Aranda, ACT
Hi all.

Sorry for my long absence on this forum - for anyone who is interested just a quick update on my i30's power steering issues. The power steering has been fine since the last time I posted in October 2014 (after the reset & wheel alignment) I have driven about 13,0000km since then and the car was serviced at 90,000km as per Hyundai specifications.

I am very happy that I saved money and that my research and seeking of second/ third opinions paid off! However, I am not sure if I am just lucky ... also I am still a little concerned the problem could reoccur.

Will you keep posted. Although in this case no news is good news!

Sally ;)
  • Hyundai i30 SX 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :brilliant: :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal