i30 Owners Club

ECU reprogramming

CraigB · 213 · 54561

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It should have a bit more bark to it now with the headers/extractors fitted but I've tried to keep it reasonably quiet, I don't mind the performance sound but eliminating drone was the biggest concern with 2 1/4" system...twin cam 4cyl's can sound terrible if you get it wrong.

I think it looks pretty good but essentially it's still an i30 with mags, not sure what I want to do in the future with it yet ( I may just leave it :undecided: ) but software allowances have been made for Supercharging which will likely need different cams, then I would also need to concentrate on gearbox - diff - front axels - brakes, getting the brake rotors slotted and using a ceramic composite pads would be all that is required there and reasonably cheap.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The car is currently still connected to the hub dyno waiting for the final tune to come back with extra adjustments, hopefully I'll be picking it up this arvo :fingers:
Great! We need a video of the changes now :goodjob2:

Nice doggie wabbit  :mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No car today, they want to do another couple of runs just to make sure they've squeezed every last bit from it...I'm impressed to say the least with their thoroughness  :)

I forgot to ask what it pulled on the base run :head_butt:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
The car is currently still connected to the hub dyno waiting for the final tune to come back with extra adjustments, hopefully I'll be picking it up this arvo :fingers:
Great! We need a video of the changes now :goodjob2:

Nice doggie wabbit  :mrgreen:
Thank you Doggie for noticing my Doggie :mrgreen:

The name's Diesel and he is scared of just about anything, except dog biscuits!

@CraigB, hopefully today is the day you get your steed back :)
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thank you Doggie for noticing my Doggie :mrgreen:

The name's Diesel and he is scared of just about anything, except dog biscuits!

I hope he's not a VW Diesel - the emissions could prove fatal
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB, hopefully today is the day you get your steed back :)
I'm hoping but not looking like it at this moment, they're not happy with the tune results at this stage so it's all time intensive with sending off each tune result and waiting for further adjustments.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
@AlanHo, his emissions are quite deadly especially after suppertime...

@CraigB, I am guessing the software enhancements aren't done in real time at the shop?

I was once interested in a thread a few months ago about a guy from the States who programmed a Microsquirt EFI kit to fit onto an older KLR650, and the amount of mapping and tweaking needed for it to work was unbelievable so I can imagine it can be quite time-consuming.
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The software modifications are all done in Europe then sent back to RPW in Aus, there's no option for live tuning the i30's unfortunately plus the tunning has to be done with the ECU removed as connection via the OBD port has restrictions.

It would be great if Hyundai used the same hardware setup as Holden, plugging in the laptop to the OBD port allowed easy modifications.

If I get fed up with these restrictions I may just tell them to bin the ECU and stick in a Haltech ECU, that'll allow full in house live tunning...thinking about it now I probably should have done that in the first place but I wait and see how they go with it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Did they give you a figure for this work Craig or is he total growing with each tweak/delay?  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The tune is a fixed price Dazz, still $1100, wont see the car until maybe Tuesday now as they don't work weekends and Monday is public holiday.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
If I get fed up with these restrictions I may just tell them to bin the ECU and stick in a Haltech ECU, that'll allow full in house live tunning...thinking about it now I probably should have done that in the first place but I wait and see how they go with it.

Just out of total curiosity - any idea, if you did, which Haltech ECU would be used?  Can't seem to find much regards Haltech and i30.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Normally I'd use a plug n play type like the Platinum Pro but I don't think they have units for i30's, they do for the Genesis.

I haven't looked into it yet so you'd need to ask a performance shop what model would be required but I'd say the cost would be somewhere in the range of $2200, $2800 if harness is required, then whether the standard ECU mapping could be copied across to use as a base...if it can then you are looking at $750 to $1100 for tunning...if it cant then you would be looking at a full re-write and depending on complexity it could be anywhere from $3000 to $5000.

I've got some older Haltech models packed away in the shed somewhere that were used on some of my older drag cars but I doubt they would be compatible with OBD11 compliant software unfortunately, I don't even have an XP system to link with them anymore either :Pout:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Normally I'd use a plug n play type like the Platinum Pro but I don't think they have units for i30's, they do for the Genesis.

I haven't looked into it yet so you'd need to ask a performance shop what model would be required but I'd say the cost would be somewhere in the range of $2200, $2800 if harness is required, then whether the standard ECU mapping could be copied across to use as a base...if it can then you are looking at $750 to $1100 for tunning...if it cant then you would be looking at a full re-write and depending on complexity it could be anywhere from $3000 to $5000.

I've got some older Haltech models packed away in the shed somewhere that were used on some of my older drag cars but I doubt they would be compatible with OBD11 compliant software unfortunately, I don't even have an XP system to link with them anymore either :Pout:

Thanks - was curious.  Should probably go make more money if I want to do stuff like this.

Regards to XP systems - don't know how the software/hardware would work with it (as I don't know what it is, etc.) and if it would go through the VM<->Host interface - but Virtual Machines @ http://modern.ie is a Mircosoft site where you can download time-limited VMs (for 3 different Host OSes, and 1-5 (depends on Host OS) virtualisation technologies)... currently it still includes XP machines.   You can install other software into the VMs.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 14:42:33 by ibrokeit »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've got XP disc's still if I ever needed them but I doubt I will as I'm not racing anymore, Win7 is better for programing the new Haltechs as the software implements better.

I know about VM's, currently running Win10 build 10547 :goodjob2:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Got the rocket back yet?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not yet ( public holiday today ), hopefully tomorrow if there are some significant results.

I'm not really expecting any major results as the throttle body and intake manifold are the major restrictions, just some slight performance increases are only needed at this stage and somewhere down the track I'll shove a SC on it :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:26:33 by CraigB »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I've got XP disc's still if I ever needed them but I doubt I will as I'm not racing anymore, Win7 is better for programing the new Haltechs as the software implements better.

I know about VM's, currently running Win10 build 10547 :goodjob2:
Sweet.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Another tune gets put in today then I'm off to pick it up at 4pm and drive it around for the weekend :happydance: it'll still be going back again next week to test some further tunes but they want me to test the results so far over the weekend.

It'll also give them a chance to finish off cars for a few other customers as once a car is connected to a hub dyno it is better off staying there until completed, very time consuming to connect and disconnect repeatedly.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :happydance: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Got it back for now, goes back Tuesday for further playing with the ECU.

Quite happy with it so far though, throttle response is much better - power is up a bit but I don't know what to at this stage as was very busy and didn't have time to wait, it's still got to go back yet anyway.

Current fuel average after 150km trip this arvo is 4.2ltr per 100 down from 6.2/6.5 prior to tunning " amazing "  :D
The picture is crap :Pout: hard to take picture while driving :whistler:

Here's a little clip of what she sounds like now
View My Video

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 17:45:35 by CraigB »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Must feel good to have it back.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Must feel good to have it back.
Yep, I'll feel even better once it has the final tune in it :) runs very rich up top so there will be some larger gains still to be had there yet.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:43:12 by CraigB »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Theyre taking their sweet arse time............I like that.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Slow and steady wins the race :D they had a fully restored E49 in the shop on Friday when I picked up the car, getting some manifold and carby - ies tweaking done on it before they could throw it on the dyno " bloody beautiful " :needspecscleaning:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sadly I didn't think of photos until I'd already left, it looked exactly like this one though

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
 :faint: :faint: :happydance: :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Craig sounds good how many k do you get from a full tank now before you need to refill?
also will you take it to the track see what quarter mile times like & trap speeds?

Nice old 6 pack was it the 4 speed? still have the three webbers? A friend of mine good with those webbers. i have seen a few of those old six pack mopars with 4" bore i think increased to 300 C I D. i remember Leo & Pete , & Doug racing them. i know Dougs two sons they raced bikes, one still races sidecars, see him at festival of speed every year.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 21:59:21 by Lakes »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Craig sounds good how many k do you get from a full tank now before you need to refill?
also will you take it to the track see what quarter mile times like & trap speeds?

Nice old 6 pack was it the 4 speed? still have the three webbers? A friend of mine good with those webbers. i have seen a few of those old six pack mopars with 4" bore i think increased to 300 C I D. i remember Leo & Pete , & Doug racing them. i know Dougs two sons they raced bikes, one still races sidecars, see him at festival of speed every year.
Not sure how many K's yet, it's only done 200km's since I picked it up so far and it's currently sleeping peacefully in my garage waiting for some new tunes to come through.

I doubt that I'll be taking it down to Motorplex to do a run, but you never know :winker:

I guess the Charger was the 4sp, didn't take much notice tbh as I was busy admiring the quality of the finish :) it's a full ground up restoration so what ever it came out with is how it's been kept, yeah it had the triple Webbers which those and the intake manifold were getting some mod's done on to make em better.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:28:52 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
After a long wait "impatiently" I might add :foottap: I'll get another tune put through tomorrow morning :yahoo:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal