i30 Owners Club

Shark racing reliablity

HunterB · 11 · 4159

Offline HunterB

• 1st Gear

• us United States
Hey folks! so, i just got a 2013 Elantra GT as a college graduation gift and i love it!  However, I'm am wanting to do a little work to get more power under the hood. I was searching for misc. parts and sharkracing.com has some intriguing parts.  Just wanted to get some info from y'all to see if you have used them and your experience with the company and their product!
  • 2013 Elantra GT

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Helluva gift that :eek:

Anyways, try putting sharkracing into the search box and we'll speak again when you've checked out the 60+ results :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: :iws: Can't recall many, if any, negative comments, but as Steve says a search should reveal good info.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline HunterB

• 1st Gear

• us United States

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :wlcome02:

Now apart from... :wts:

One of the regulars here has had his GD i30 tuned on a dyno - it is a long thread but it might give you ideas on what to do (if you haven't had them already)... :link: ECU reprogramming    course it also depends on what you have/haven't got available to spend.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Shark Racing are reliable I've found for the parts I've ordered from them so far.

I believe the Elantra GT ( i30 ) are 2ltr engines in the US :undecided: if so then the only power option from Shark Racing for the 2ltr is the bolt on turbo kit at $4300US.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I believe the Elantra GT ( i30 ) are 2ltr engines in the US :undecided:

I think the 2013 model came with the 1.8l, Craig.  :undecided:
The 2.0l was introduced in 2014...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I believe the Elantra GT ( i30 ) are 2ltr engines in the US :undecided:

I think the 2013 model came with the 1.8l, Craig.  :undecided:
The 2.0l was introduced in 2014...
If it's a 1.8ltr then there is nothing listed on Shark Racing for that engine ( Korean's don't use them, or at least care about modifying them ), only option would be a custom intake and exhaust if they were able to find someone who can modify the ECU for the 1.8ltr's :undecided:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Per this review :link: Transient Redemption

The 1.8L engine might be used in other models (not i30 body) of Elantra so the ECU *might* have already be done before - or not (would really depend if ECU is specific to model of car or engine - I suppose).

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The ECU will be the same Bosch ECU used in all models though the tune will obviously be different to other engine units/sizes, whether anyone has tuned one...I wouldn't have a clue :undecided:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The ECU will be the same Bosch ECU used in all models though the tune will obviously be different to other engine units/sizes, whether anyone has tuned one...I wouldn't have a clue :undecided:

Hehe - I keep learning stuff when you answer Craig :-)

I am assuming someone will have had a 1.8L tuned somewhere in the US - if so somebody may know the parameter location mapping.  As you say the tune will obviously be different - and they won't have a 'base tune' to go from (if an i30/Elantra GT hasn't been done); but, of course, each custom tuned engine can be different depending on how fine the parameters are (and how much time will be spent).

HunterB - not that you have indicated going the tuning route... just an FYI (which you will get from the ECU reprogramming topic anyway) for tuning the ECU has to removed, flashed, re-installed - Hyundai seems to have locked down access... so it can't be done in real-time via OBDII, etc. ports  :rolleyes:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal