i30 Owners Club

Headlight Bulbs keep blowing

Offline Theboyrogers

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Birmingham
Hi,

I have a 59 plate UK spec Hyundai i30 1.4 that keeps blowing the headlight bulbs. Have replaced both sides twice in the last year.

Is this a commmon problem??

I am thinking possibly alternator/ voltage regulator problem but don't want to start replacing on a whim/hunch. 

Has anyone experiencd similar problem?

Thanks
Adam
  • Hyundai i30 Comfort, Suzuki Cappuccino & Rover Mini Mayfair

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Common issue with i30s. Buy long life bulbs.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Adam,

Yes, particularly the diesel. Apparently it is an earthing problem which has been fixed under warranty for some UK members. Over here in Oz, we have to just live with it, although some have done their own mods to improve the earthing of the lights. The Diesel has a more powerful battery which may account for some sort of a surge at start up.

Use our search function or browse the problem section for more info.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I bought a cheap 12v surge protector that hooks right on to the battery after both my low beams blew out in the middle of the night driving home from a concert 300km away. So far it seems to do its job.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I bought a cheap 12v surge protector that hooks right on to the battery after both my low beams blew out in the middle of the night driving home from a concert 300km away. So far it seems to do its job.

Might be a simpler solution!  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :fingers:

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
Welcome Adam,

Yes, particularly the diesel. Apparently it is an earthing problem which has been fixed under warranty for some UK members. Over here in Oz, we have to just live with it, although some have done their own mods to improve the earthing of the lights. The Diesel has a more powerful battery which may account for some sort of a surge at start up.

I just searched and opened about ~15 threads mentioning earthing issues. Most are comments like this one, saying there is a known problem and some people have had mods, some have got it fixed.

But I can't find a single post which actually says what the earthing problem is specifically, and the fix/mod for it. Can you provide insight on this or what to be looking for?
  • 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Adam,

I just searched and opened about ~15 threads mentioning earthing issues. Most are comments like this one, saying there is a known problem and some people have had mods, some have got it fixed.

But I can't find a single post which actually says what the earthing problem is specifically, and the fix/mod for it. Can you provide insight on this or what to be looking for?

We are scant on detail here in Oz although @Just Rick  has done his own earthing mod I think, maybe he can assist?

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11

1st Gear
 Message from Autospark
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)
Re: Headlight blows
« Sent to: druggist : April 10, 2015, 19:51:48 »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. » ReplyQuoteDelete
Hey Sorry I have taken so long to reply. My son's i30 diesel is still going great and has not blown any headlights again. All I did to his was I added an extra earth cable from the battery to the Engine direct and a wired anti spiking diodes to the low beams both sides. It seems to have done the trick.
Report To Admin
i30 Diesel 2007

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Phillips long life light globes worked for me. There is a post on here somewhere but I went from blowing them regulary to i think it was 60,000k without a globe going. They were still going strong when I sold her.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks guys.  :goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

1st Gear
 Message from Autospark
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)
Re: Headlight blows
« Sent to: druggist : April 10, 2015, 19:51:48 »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. » ReplyQuoteDelete
Hey Sorry I have taken so long to reply. My son's i30 diesel is still going great and has not blown any headlights again. All I did to his was I added an extra earth cable from the battery to the Engine direct and a wired anti spiking diodes to the low beams both sides. It seems to have done the trick.
Report To Admin
i30 Diesel 2007

Yep similar solution here druggist,added my own earth from the battery to the block,istead of the diodes I simply put a surge protecter on the battery,protects the whole car,If I think about it will get a photo some time today,can't remeber the last time I replaced a globe in Bruce now,as I said in another post somewhere on here,Like Alvin the other two cars we have will be converted fully to LED.  :goodjob2:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Here are two photos of my earthing mod and surge protector. I will put them in a diesel problem section as well later (or at least Dazz will on my behalf)

• 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal