i30 Owners Club

Advice needed for buying an i30 1.6 Petrol

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

• i30 Tourer 2015 1.6MPI Petrol 118hp
Hello Everyone, I hope soon to buy a 2015 face lift (2016 model) i30 Tourer.
Only 15,000KM. It's had it's first service, next due in July (must be yearly as the mileage does not justify this frequency).
I'm new to Hyundai, but do have general mechanical knowledge and have a good idea of what to check, however, I have no i30 experience. 
I will view in a couple of days time. I will read this forum looking for pointers in the meantime, but if anyone would be kind enough to list some points to check, I'd be grateful.
The model seems to be above basic but has no satnav. Has parking sensors and folding mirrors but no rear camera.
Has cruise control and multi-function steering wheel, auto aircon, heated seats/steering wheel, Bluetooth, 6-speed manual.
This is a EU spec car, I live in the EU. 
I'm not worried about fuel economy as it's going to have short (5km) trips plus motorway, and annual mileage is about 10,000km.
Will not be used for commuting.
Thanks in advance!
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hello Everyone, I hope soon to buy a 2015 face lift (2016 model) i30 Tourer.
Only 15,000KM. It's had it's first service, next due in July (must be yearly as the mileage does not justify this frequency).
I'm new to Hyundai, but do have general mechanical knowledge and have a good idea of what to check, however, I have no i30 experience. 
I will view in a couple of days time. I will read this forum looking for pointers in the meantime, but if anyone would be kind enough to list some points to check, I'd be grateful.
The model seems to be above basic but has no satnav. Has parking sensors and folding mirrors but no rear camera.
Has cruise control and multi-function steering wheel, auto aircon, heated seats/steering wheel, Bluetooth, 6-speed manual.
This is a EU spec car, I live in the EU. 
I'm not worried about fuel economy as it's going to have short (5km) trips plus motorway, and annual mileage is about 10,000km.
Will not be used for commuting.
Thanks in advance!

Hi Clarence and  :wlcome01:

It sounds similar to my Wife's 2014 Tourer (also euro built)

She has everything but the auto aircon and heated seats/steering wheel. Hers is the 6 speed manual 1.6 GDi as well.

Hers is very well screwed together with no obvious weaknesses although we are investigating a small oil leak under the motor!  (not common)

It has three setting for the steering feel which some consider to be a gimmick, but my wife found switching to a different setting was beneficial to her. I know you aren't too fussed about fuel economy, but they are very good (low to mid 6's per 100kms!)

They are no racer off the line (I think the hill start assist may cause slight hesitation from takeoff some times) but great little motor on the motorway. Don't need excessive revs or gear changes at motorway speeds.

They are also reasonably quiet and refined.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

Thanks.
This car is built in Czech Republic. Are they considered inferior to the Korean built ones?
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Thanks.
This car is built in Czech Republic. Are they considered inferior to the Korean built ones?

Are they!!!, in what way   ??? 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My first i30 was korean built abd 2nd czech built.

IMO both to high quality.

1st car coming up to 10th birthday and 2nd 5th birthday.

Both still runs like the day i drove them off the forecourt.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Clarence & Welcome.
I think they use the same set up assembly line & Czech have a proud heritage car building. i would say they would be as good.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks.

We had two built in Korea and then this one built in the Czech Republic.

Apart from the minor oil leak, we haven't had any issues in 30 months of ownership. In my opinion the paint finish is better on this one than the two Korean built ones and it is very well screwed together (still no rattles)

The Korean factory apparently has a lot more strikes and union issues than the Euro one.

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

Thanks for the inputs. I'm going to have a gander at the weekend.
Turns out the engine is the 118hp/88kw version, any comments on that? All the others for sale here are the 135hp/99kw.

Also, any hints on what to look for in i30's as potential signs of trouble?
I know about the general aspects, checking underneath, body panel alignment, all electrics, air con, oil, stop/start, hill hold, but if anyone can drop a few hints I'll be grateful.

I'm doing my own research and watching youtube vids. It's been about 12 years since I bought the last car so I'm rusty. 
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not sure about those outputs. I'm pretty certain the Wife's would align with the higher output model. We only got one engine configuration for the tourer in Australia and they usually give us the higher output versions.

If it's a "de-tuned" version of the 1.6 GDi then it should be even more economical, but it may be a bit sluggish as the Wife's 1.6 is adequate, but no sky rocket. Maybe it's a 1.4? (we don't get them here in the i30)

No real obvious weaknesses have surfaced yet for you to check. Although, a few rep's who carry a good load have complained of the rear suspension sagging a bit in higher mileage cars. So you could check that to see if it still feels reasonably firm.

You obviously need to give the car a good test drive to be sure you will be happy with the lower output version. Because most are the higher output version, you could take a hit on resale when you sell/trade it later if you opt for that one.. 

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

I'll give it a good test drive. Usually it will hardly ever carry more than one passenger, so 120 should be enough.
I had an old A4 with only 120hp and it was plenty quick enough, however was doing 4k/rpm on the motorway, I'm hoping with the 6-speed box in the i30 it would be quite a bit lower.
As for resale, I know what you mean, however the purchase price is relatively good value as it's a private sale.
Over here most cars are bought/sold via dealers, probably 95% of them, and therefore come with a 4k premium over the very few private cars available, which means the moment you buy it, you've lost the 4k if you have to sell it again.
The Swiss don't usually buy private.
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds very promising then. They are a great car and quite stylish too in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

And I bought it! :happydance:

Seems fine, nearly like a new car. It's nowhere near as fast as my 1.9tdi PD Bora, however it's good enough around town and when it gets up to speed on the motorway. I'll have to gun it down the slip roads though.
Also the steering will take some getting used to, but all in all I'm happy so far.
Now I need to get a manual in English.
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Awesome :victory:

Quote from: 17clarence

Should be a few links on the forum, including this :link:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

And I bought it! :happydance:

Seems fine, nearly like a new car. It's nowhere near as fast as my 1.9tdi PD Bora, however it's good enough around town and when it gets up to speed on the motorway. I'll have to gun it down the slip roads though.
Also the steering will take some getting used to, but all in all I'm happy so far.
Don't forget to try all three steering modes. Some say they are a gimmick,  but the Wife found one of the three she very much preferred. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal