i30 Owners Club

Looking to buy an i30 Diesel Premium 2013+

leodb · 21 · 4749

Offline leodb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi Guys,

I've been reading a lot on here and leaning toward an i30 Premium Diesel from 2013 onwards, not looking to spend too much seeing them asking for $17-19k without negotiation based on 60,000km or less.

I'm coming from a BMW 135i so it's a completely different direction but I need something reliable and that will last for a while as I have other priorities and commitments at the moment and with the roads in North West Sydney the BMW wasn't good with the amount of pot holes and other imperfections on the road.

My main questions here are based around known issues and reliability and what your thoughts are on the 6sp Auto to the dual-clutch 7sp (i appreciate this is well above my budget)

I'm wanting to know roughly what kind of km's you get to a tank i know this s dependent on the driver but the claimed numbers are not true to the real world so ive been asking sellers for their averages and they're saying 6.4-8.7L/100k, what about everyone else?

Is there anything in particular i should look to either avoid or to be careful of when looking at these diesel premiums? such as if its a 2013 and only done 30,000km would that mean the diesel hasnt done enough km to be run the way it needs to (lack of better term) i think i read its only really an issue with the diesels that have particulate filters and the i30 doesnt?

Is there anything you'd recommend I check thoroughly when test driving?

Are they particularly noisy compared to other diesels or would that be an indication of an issue?

There arent a whole lot of them on the market, they dont seem to be selling and that may be due to the fact the new shape gets released in the next month and the pricepoint of a used to dealer demo currently isnt high enough for someone to warrant going 2nd hand (even if these dealer demos are basically used cars with the number of km on them).

For me though this works well because people arent selling them and they're up for a while so it could fall closer and closer to my budget, unless they get a ridiculous trade in offer to offset their new car.

Any information will be greatly appreciated, im not good with cars so feel free to be as open and honest about it and treat me like i know nothing in this area because really i dont, im just wanting my next car to be with me a long time and if serviced regularly and looked after it will outlive a lot of other cars such as a swift or the petrol i30 etc.

thanks

leo
  • Hyundai i30 Premium MY14 Petrol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Leo and Welcome. I'm on tapatalk and sometimes it doesn't expose all replies so you may have already had some. I haven't had a Premium Diesel in the GD series but my time on here does give me some knowledge.

General feedback on here for that model is that the 6 speed auto isn't as efficiend as some would hope as those figures you have been quoted attest to. The dual-clutch transmission is supposed to be a lot more efficient resulting in economy much closer to the 5L/100kms.

Reliabilty is as good or better than most other cars in the class. There have been a few issues with the EPS (electric power steering ) so do give it a good run on the highway looking out for the steering trying to pull randomly to the left or right.

Australian i30's dont have DPF so low mileages aren't really an issue.

I'll leave room for others to comment.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hi & welcome.
Personally, although I have not owned a dual clutch auto, I have driven one.
I own a 6 speed manual GD diesel.
I test drove a 7 speed recently and to be honest, it didn't impress me enough to want to change from my 6 speed manual.
Personally, I'd have a manual, but if I bought an auto, I'd want the 6 speed auto which is a great gearbox.
It's still too early to know how the DSGs will go so the 6 speed would be my preference.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate.

The Diesel is a good engine. I have the 6 speed auto in the i40 and it seems ok. I can't comment too much on the GD, but the good wife gets about 8l/100 around town in the 4 speed FD. I used to get around 6 in the FD wagon on the highway.

Given your price range, have you considered a brand spanking new pov pack i30 (or Kia Cerato) the prices are around what you want to spend. Sure there isn't as much wizz bang stuff, but the addition of a 5 or 7 year warranty, and not having to worry about a previous owner is a big advantage.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Just a thought, the 2017 i30 PD is releasing next week, maybe a few extra special run out deals on existing stock?
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If low kms take the car on a nice long spirited drive to clear any residue. The engines are not noisy once driving, all diesel's are noisy at idle. I drive an 4sp auto and generally get 5.5 l/100k, however
I do a bit of freeway driving which the car loves. Around town it could climb to 8 if short trips or cold motor. You need to do a decent number of kms per annum to make the Diesel purchase worthwhile.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline PremiumTwin

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hey Leo,

This is my first post here.

I bought a 2016 GD3 Premium on run out a little over a month ago, after my partner got a SR Premium (manual GD5 with the 2.0 litre motor). So questions of longevity and reliability are out for me. Given you have crap roads (Australian blight) to negotiate regularly I would say the I30 is a great choice - they really seem to have the suspension and the handling sorted on it. I think my partner's SR has a tighter tune than the diesel and is one of the best handling little cars around, IMO. It's even a match for the independent rear set up of the SR Elantra I test drove. Also better than the Cerato and Veloster to my unschooled tastes. If you want a bit of a punt, just point and shoot. Really sweet. My seat of the pants feeling is the steering on the diesel is slightly heavier than the SR Premium (heavier donk?), and I personally don’t think the steering mode selector is a gimmick, and I find myself using it all the time. I understand the normal mode is variable contingent on speed.

I test drove my car twice (on different visits to the dealer) as I wasn't sure on the DCT. I was coming from a four speed slush box commodore (my ex) and having test driven the turbo SR Elantra which has the very same DCT. Same box, completely contrasting experiences. The diesel Premium doesn't have paddles, and I think that's a good thing - it seems to be want to put in D and left alone. The only time I feel the need to use the shifter is when I am going down a steep hill and I want to engine brake. Also, things to get used to: It has really close ratios, so by the time you are at 60km from a standing start you are in 7th gear. Think of the efficiency of that! But it takes some getting used to. If I put my boot in its goddam quick and smooth, too. I have to say after my initial reservations I'd never look back. Other things to consider with that box is in stop-start traffic it doesn't love creeping, or "riding" the clutches. I usually let a space form before taking off, because it has a computer as a brain, being definite in how you drive is a plus for it. It definitely doesn’t like indecision. And, don't believe a word of what you hear or read, just try it for yourself.

I have never owned or driven a modern diesel before this one - wow, they have certainly come a long way. Exceptionally quiet and smooth, with tons of grunt. Being an ex-Commodore (V6) driver I still like to have a go, and this thing will certainly do that. What I call a sleeper  :countsheep:. However, this engine just loves the highway, and it makes its torque right where you need it from around 1500 rpm to around 3000 rpm. I believe it will be a brilliant tourer. Below 1500 is a slight dead spot and you will hear a bit of a laboured diesel rattle, but hardly intrusive. In my opinion that 1.6 Turbo is a cracker motor, and combined with the DCT makes perfect sense. For economy, I reckon the others here are better placed to comment, but I currently see low to mid 5s in combined driving, and I reckon sub 5s could easily be achieved on a long trip. And I am not even run in yet. Compared to the 13s I was pulling out of the commodore I am well impressed.

One thing I checked at purchase was whether the car had a DPF, which I am told it does. My advice from the dealer, who really seemed to know his stuff and has been selling these things for a long time, is that all the GD diesels came with it down under. FDs not so. I also confirmed with the service guys. The dealer said there is a yellow advice sticker displayed in the engine bay if the car you looking at doesn't have it. This forum has more detail on that elsewhere. BTW finding info on that on the inter web is precarious and this forum is the only place with the good dirt  :goodjob:

We tire kicked new cars for quite a few months before settling on the I30s. Easily the best small car out there at the moment, IMO. Also, with run out of current crop, easily the best value for money – you get an awful lot of kit across the range for relatively little spend. In terms of diesels, it should definitely be on your list, unless you really need to go European. The warranty (or balance thereof) and the full sized spare are a must, and the size and practicality bases seem well and truly covered. Excellent seating front and rear with good bolstering, legroom and head room.

Whichever way you go Leo, hope this helps, and the very best of luck!  :honk:

• 2016 I30 SR Prem. GD5 SII White (man); 2016 I30 Prem. 1.6 CRDI GD3 SII White DCT

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

GD diesels don't have a DPF.
Not in Australia anyway..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

BTW, Welcome PremiumTwin and what a terrific first post! We long term members go all mushy when we hear nice things said about the i30, especially that wonderful little diesel motor which really does punch aabove its weight.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

GD diesels don't have a DPF.
Not in Australia anyway..

Yes, that's what I meant. PremiumTwin's dealer told him they do.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:21:32 by Doggie 1 »
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Have a look at the i40 diesel too.

Same transmission, engine out to 1.7l and drives like a dream.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Engine is wonderful, Love the torque, no need to go above 1600rpm unless your in 6th gear going 80+kph. Put your foot down and she just goes, and goes till you hit 4000rpm at... Way over the limit.
I get very good milage, usually 1200km/tank, but mines a manual and has DPF and I only seldom go over 90kph. And hardly no city driving/stoping. Ive had a string of 4.2l tanks latley, on studded winter tyres, I reccon I can get it under 4l on summer rubber.

I can't hear the diesel engine over the road noise except at low speed, but then we have very coarse and noisy roads here, to withstand studded tyres half the year. Noise is my biggest greif with the I30. Does not help my that previous car was a Volvo S80, which was very quiet.

Make sure you get to test drive a GD that has had its engine run in properly, 15k km+, its a big difference(to the better) when its run in.

Its nice and stable even at high speed, 140+kph. Seats are comfortable, and 4-6h drives no problem(as long as there is no co pilot needing breaks). We had four adults and a baby in rear facing seat, boot loaded to the roof and its still runs well, but its a little tight with leg room in the back seat if the fronts are pulled all way back.

Very easy and accessable for diy servicing if you want/need too.

Overall economy is superb too, never had a cheaper car/km, even including a very heavy loan repayment!

Its a great car, you will be happy with it(especially since you can get one without the (very many curses here) DPF.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline leodb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi Leo and Welcome....I'll leave room for others to comment.

Hi Dazzler,

Thanks for your input, I read about that steering in other posts, I'll look out for that, however with it being under some manufacturer warranty I'd feel comfortable if it did have it or was prone to it. I wonder if it is known to reoccur after being sorted (if the issue ever surfaced)?

Hi & welcome....It's still too early to know how the DSGs will go so the 6 speed would be my preference.

Hi Doggie 1,

Thanks for you reply...Manual isn't going to be a preference for me, as much as I miss driving manual I also dont because of traffic jams, also helps with anyone else driving the car.

I assume you prefer the 6spd-Auto because you have tried both that and the 7spd-dct? I had a 7spd-dct in my BMW i really enjoyed it but then again it is a completely different car.

What are your main pros/cons with the 2 autos? if any.

G'day mate. Given your price range, have you considered a brand spanking new pov pack i30 (or Kia Cerato) the prices are around what you want to spend

Hi beerman,

thanks for your thoughts, I plan to keep the car a while and have thought of what you're suggesting but to be honest not too keen on buying a new car, i know it will plateau (depreciation) if kept for a long time but in the event i'd ever need to sell early for any reason I just dont see myself ever buying a new car. I would be happy with the balance of the new car warranty form a kia or hyundai, personally i'd prefer the hyundai but still open to others.

Just a thought, the 2017 i30 PD is releasing next week, maybe a few extra special run out deals on existing stock?

hi i30premy,

I was wondering the exact release date for these and have put it off for this exact reason, and also thinking this is why the current low km's 2nd hands arent moving anywhere quickly because of the fact people are either holding off for the drop in prices for new/ex-demo, or even waiting for the used to depreciate further from the release of the new shape, noticed this with my 135i when the 235i was released.

If low kms take the car on a nice long spirited drive to clear any residue. The engines are not noisy once driving, all diesel's are noisy at idle. I drive an 4sp auto and generally get 5.5 l/100k, however
I do a bit of freeway driving which the car loves. Around town it could climb to 8 if short trips or cold motor. You need to do a decent number of kms per annum to make the Diesel purchase worthwhile.

Hi PhilNo1,

So basically like 100-200km drive should do it?

I'd be making regular trips like that so good to know that.

My average is 32,000 over the last 3 years so i think that i do enough, not as much as some but more than average.

Hey Leo,
I bought a 2016 GD3 Premium on run out a little over a month ago.
Whichever way you go Leo, hope this helps, and the very best of luck!  :honk:

Hi PremiumTwin,

Thanks so much for the long response ill do my best to respond to it all but a lot of good info there i may miss some.

The heavy steering is actually something I prefer, my 135i had really heavy steering compared to the newer BMWs that were released I would always love getting back into it aftera hire car from a service as they were really light and almost felt like I would veer off the road with a slight adjustment.

I'm not too sure on these steering modes im sure theyre good to have but i dont think i would see myself changing it often.

Besides the close ratios for being a diesel i think this is a DCT thing for efficiency as you mention, the 135i also if not in sport mode had these short ratios which made it efficient.

I started to realise that the creeping wasnt a good thing and after watching a video on youtube on DCTs i realised how bad it really is over time.

I've heard the diesel is a lot nicer of a drive than the petrol, although they're both similar i'm really wanting the benefits of owning a diesel in terms of the longevity and extra mileage, despite realising slightly more expensive services if serviced with hyundai, however i still feel the pro's outweigh the con's and have noticed that from the other threads on here talking about the diesels.

I'm not too sure on your DPF comment there, not trying to say you're wrong but from what i've been reading on here, its the one thing that i've noticed it doesn't have which is a bonus in terms of things that could ever go wrong as it isnt a cheap thing to replace.

I havent been able to test drive a diesel, only recently one came up locally i will be trying to go see it but it is going to be hard i am trying to see if he will come to me, however i dont know how much i will be able to negotiate from the $19,990 price tag, i'd imagine maybe $17,990 would be an option but hoping to get one below $17k and i think if i wait for this new shape to get released that i will be able to.

I love european cars but to be honest i dont want one for a while it's not worth the extra headaches and theres so many good cars now from all the other providers the gaps been closed i feel.

Have a look at the i40 diesel too.

Same transmission, engine out to 1.7l and drives like a dream.

Hey Beerman, thats a wagon though isnt it?

Engine is wonderful,

Its a great car, you will be happy with it(especially since you can get one without the (very many curses here) DPF.

Hey xiziz,

Thanks for the reply, I'm doing a lot of reading around there isnt a lot people can fault with these cars.

The efficiency and longevity is what im after so I think I would be covered there.

Just trying to find one at the right price, I noticed that last night on redbook the prices came down on the valuation of the 2013 MY14's so my plans are coming together, just now need to wait for some more to come on the market, the ones I'm looking at people dont want to part with for less than 18-20 (good price but i want to try get it lower)

For a second hand one, should i be looking or listening for anything in the engine bay/around the exhaust/while it drives...other than the potential steering issue?

Thanks again in advanced, sorry it took so long to reply

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hi & welcome....It's still too early to know how the DSGs will go so the 6 speed would be my preference.

Hi Doggie 1,

Thanks for you reply...Manual isn't going to be a preference for me, as much as I miss driving manual I also dont because of traffic jams, also helps with anyone else driving the car.

I assume you prefer the 6spd-Auto because you have tried both that and the 7spd-dct? I had a 7spd-dct in my BMW i really enjoyed it but then again it is a completely different car.

I have tried both. It may have been unfamiliarity with the 7 speed, but there seemed to be a big "hole" if that makes sense, when I put my foot down. The response wasn't immediate. There was a lag at low speeds and then it took off.
Plus the 6 speed is known to be a good transmission as it has been around a while.
Just me being cautious probably, but I would opt for the six speed.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi again Leo, the i40 came as a wagon and a sedan

Offline leodb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

Hi Doggie 1,

I have tried both. It may have been unfamiliarity with the 7 speed, but there seemed to be a big "hole" if that makes sense, when I put my foot down. The response wasn't immediate. There was a lag at low speeds and then it took off.
Plus the 6 speed is known to be a good transmission as it has been around a while.
Just me being cautious probably, but I would opt for the six speed.

Pretty sure thats a DCT lag mine had it when it wasnt on sport mode the throttle response was laggy.

but the idea of another potential issue being a dual clutch doesn't interest me too much when im worried about less headaches, although the other features with the series II are pretty cool, cooled seats and auto comfort features etc.

Offline leodb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

ill take a look thanks heaps

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

ill take a look thanks heaps
Nice car, but they were a bit over-priced new so not big sellers. Makes the diesel relatively scarce on the 2nd hand market.

Offline leodb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi all, I couldn't get a CRDi at the right price so I've gone for a premium petrol, coming this week from Qld.

Thanks for your help and advice

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update.  Look forward to some pix and details once you've got her sorted.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal