i30 Owners Club

Dashtop carpets/ covers.

Bighvm · 38 · 9064

Offline Bighvm

• 2nd Gear
Why do these exist, what's the purpose, I think they look hideous...but I'm prepared to be educated?
  • I30 auto diesel to buy in near future!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Why do these exist, what's the purpose, I think they look hideous...but I'm prepared to be educated?

Firstly, there are a couple of issues with some of the genuine Hyundai dashmats. Not keen on the way they have a cut out on the passenger side to allow for the airbag (aftermarket ones just have a flap and look better in my opinion)

Some of the genuine ones also have a fleck in the material which can catch the light and reflect in the windscreen a bit.

Now the positives...

Most dash mats are made of a felt type material which greatly reduces the reflection of the dash in the windscreen in our harsh Aussie sun.

They protect the dash from drying out and cracking (not so much of an issue these days - used to be common in older cars)

I'm convinced that dash mats keep a car a bit cooler on hot days as they don't seem to get anywhere near as hot as the smooth plastic of a normal dashboard.

Also reduce misting on the screen from chemicals leeching out of the dash in the hot sun.

After having them on most of our previous cars, feels a bit bare if we get in a car without one now!

I'm guessing the hot sun isn't such an issue where you live...  :whistler: :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :whsaid:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :wts:  I also think they look quite good imo :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I think they look hideous

:whsaid:

No need for them where I live, and I can understand their usefulness in hot & sunny climes, but they are truly monstrous concoctions  :censored:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
They're also a bit grippier than the standard dash plastic, so you can leave a pack of winnie blues on the dash and feel confident that they won't go flying out the window :)

• IO 30 N

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They're also a bit grippier than the standard dash plastic, so you can leave a pack of winnie blues on the dash and feel confident that they won't go flying out the window :)

:rofl:

Offline Bighvm

• 2nd Gear
What's Winnie blues? Is that crystal meth? Ha
  • I30 auto diesel to buy in near future!

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What's Winnie blues? Is that crystal meth? Ha
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
Hoges favourite smoke.
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Just posted in another section, 
"Custom Carpets " on ebay,  ALL of dash covered, cutaway section for passengers airbag.
Brilliant.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
"Custom Carpets " on ebay,  ALL of dash covered, cutaway section for passengers airbag.
Brilliant.
I haven't seen the Custom Carpets brand but I got mine from fitmycar, the standard Hyundai dashmat has bugged me for years with the airbag section cutout :head_butt: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyundai-i30-2012-2017-Aftermarket-Dash-Mat-Charcoal-Moulded-/332276428136?hash=item4d5d37ed68

Looks great and reduces reflection of the dash on windscreen

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine and Trish's are both the genuine ones with the cutout, but I prefer yours... I've already got twos sets of seat covers to sell so not switching dash mats.  :undecided:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Brilliant.
I haven't seen the Custom Carpets brand but I got mine from fitmycar, the standard Hyundai dashmat has bugged me for years with the airbag section cutout :head_butt: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyundai-i30-2012-2017-Aftermarket-Dash-Mat-Charcoal-Moulded-/332276428136?hash=item4d5d37ed68

Identical to mine 👍
Should have said slit not cutaway -derr

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Mine and Trish's are both the genuine ones with the cutout, but I prefer yours... I've already got twos sets of seat covers to sell so not switching dash mats.  :undecided:
Go on money bags, have a splurge :D not sure if a third party dashmat is available for the PD yet though :undecided: I had a quick search but didn't see any listings yet.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Go on money bags, have a splurge :D not sure if a third party dashmat is available for the PD yet though :undecided: I had a quick search but didn't see any listings yet.

I'd rather update my Personalised plates and a few other mods...  :goodjob:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Craig, that looks really spiffy, Going to get one of those ( once I get over paying for the wife's dentist treatment )  :goodjob2:

ps / Whats the mirror for on the drivers side ?
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Craig, that looks really spiffy, Going to get one of those ( once I get over paying for the wife's dentist treatment )  :goodjob2:

He likes to do his hair before he goes in to pick up the Misses.. :snigger:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mirror and vanity light are standard. I thought wtf , realized catering for those that need to be groomed before leaving car. I have nothing to groom. Sometimes I check beard for sauce or other food giveaways   :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

That's my Garmin GPS, I use the vanity mirror for my makeup :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 08:27:14 by CraigB »

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

That's my Garmin GPS, I use the vanity mirror for my makeup :D

Of course it is, looked like a mirror with the light reflection. :D  Might get my Tom Tom back into action be better than the GPS in my car. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Brilliant.
I haven't seen the Custom Carpets brand but I got mine from fitmycar, the standard Hyundai dashmat has bugged me for years with the airbag section cutout :head_butt: :link: Hyundai i30 (2012 - 2017) - Aftermarket Dash Mat - Charcoal - Moulded | eBay

Got one of these from my Daughter on fathers day.   :happydance:  Glad I sent her the link back in July. Looks great .Thanks Craig  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I know it is daft but I have just ordered one for her i30. She needs a dash cover more than I do, her car is parked all day in the sun outside where she works. :)  I will tell her it is for Daughters day  :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I know it is daft but I have just ordered one for her i30. She needs a dash cover more than I do, her car is parked all day in the sun outside where she works. :)  I will tell her it is for Daughters day 
Nice one John. :goodjob:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi John,
Good choice.
No problems with ours.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
I haven't seen the Custom Carpets brand but I got mine from fitmycar, the standard Hyundai dashmat has bugged me for years with the airbag section cutout :head_butt: :link: Hyundai i30 (2012 - 2017) - Aftermarket Dash Mat - Charcoal - Moulded | eBay

Thanks for the link, I bought one from fitmycar in black. No reflection now which is great. It does slide down a little at times though and I just push it back towards the windscreen. Not really a problem.
  • i30 Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for the link, I bought one from fitmycar in black. No reflection now which is great. It does slide down a little at times though and I just push it back towards the windscreen. Not really a problem.
You’re welcome  :goodjob2:

Try placing some of the supplied adhesive Velcro tape on each of the top edges to stop it sliding around.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal