i30 Owners Club

i30 2015 brake failure

Glynny · 11 · 4670

Offline Glynny

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridge
I recently bought an i30 2015 and on the whole have been very pleased with it. However, I recently had to do an emergency stop as a cyclist came across my path. It seemed like the ABS came on too strong such that I couldn't stop but that's only my perception. Luckily the cyclist was OK and nothing is happening as a result but I find that I can't trust my brakes now. Is there any brake issue with this model and, if so, how can I rectify it?
  • Hyundai i30 2015 plate

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome.  Sorry to hear that.  Feedback on the brakes is generally good. We have had 4 i30's ourselves. A 2008 hatch a 2010 waggon a 2014 wagon and a 2017 hatch and haven't had any scary moments with the brakes in any of them.

But be interested to see what others say...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Have you experienced ABS in an emergency situation before.

I've had 2 Subaru's, an i30 and 2 Corollas with it and have made a point of "testing" each to see how they perform because the first time I used ABS I thought the car was falling to bits.
Others have told me the reaction is so violent they actually release the brake pedal.

TBH I'm not a lover of ABS but I agree it's useful for the average driver. Provided they know what to expect.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
During winter time the abs works often when I test the grip of the road. Never had any issues. Only issue I've had is that the abs works as it is supposed to work, but that has been issue with any abs car I've driven. In super slippery conditions you actually might want to lock the tyres in slow speeds...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've had use of abs on both my i30's.

It does feel as if the car isn't going to stop but you should have felt a rapid pulsating which is the abs going on off on off etc to prevent the wheels locking and a subsequent skid.

When you can say empty car park, give the brakes an emergency stop and see how it feels.

Do not take foot off brake pedal or raise foot on pedal, leave hard on.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I asked my mate paddy to test my ABS the other day ... I said what do you reckon?.. He said the same thing as when he checked my indicators were working...

(click to show/hide)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
abs might feel like you have lost your brakes but , they also have esc the two might have stopped you going into a tyre smoking skid you could not control.
what was your speed at the time and how what distance did you have to stop in.

Offline Glynny

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridge
Have you experienced that really fierce ABS in an i30. This was a brake failure - the car should have stopped in that distance and at that speed?
  • Hyundai i30 2015 plate

Offline Glynny

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridge
Yes, I have experienced ABS in an emergency situation before and it should have stopped at that speed and distance. Have you experienced violent ABS in an i30?
  • Hyundai i30 2015 plate

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yes, I have experienced ABS in an emergency situation before and it should have stopped at that speed and distance. Have you experienced violent ABS in an i30?
Yes. I have.
However, I can only suggest you have a qualified mechanic check out your system if you feel it operating differently to what several of us have experienced.
A Google search reveals what Lakes referred to above with the ESC but it only applied to a segment of Australian (Korean made) FD models well before your GD. But your ESC unit could be faulty for any nu her of. reasons.

:link: Hyundai recalls i30 | GoAuto
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 21:22:35 by Surferdude »
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don't know what you mean by the ABS came on too strong. The role of ABS is to stop the wheels from locking into a skid it does this by quickly releasing the brake on each individual wheel as the sensors detect that the wheel is about to lock. You will feel pulsing through the pedal and it is loud, the brake pedal jurks and can be shocking for the driver who has not experienced it before. The aim is to give traction and allow you to steer around a hazard rather than stopping you any quicker (though by stopping the vehicle from skidding this will be the result on most surfaces). It will not however, correct issues with the braking system such as worn pads, dodgy fluid etc.

Having done a lane change exercise where I drove at a lane closed off by witches hats and had to brake hard and change lanes as directed by an arrow on a wet skid pan, I think it is ace. I also remember having to do a full ABS stop across 4 lanes in the belting rain down near Coolangatta airport in the EL because some idiot decided he wanted Hungry Jacks. I was very happy I bothered to find an EL with ABS because without the result wouldn't have been nice.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal