Author Topic: Replacing water pump  (Read 323 times)

• au Australia
  • Australia's Capital
Replacing water pump
« August 26, 2017, 07:44:40 »
Anyone have any knowledge of replacing a water pump on a 1.6 CRDI? Has anyone done this before, and is it a relatively easy process? One of the pulleys is seized and I believe it to be the water pump.
Cheers
Dennis

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
Re: Replacing water pump
« Reply #1 : August 27, 2017, 00:19:34 »
Hi Dennis, never had to do one, but from memory it is external unlike the petrol motor, so you may be in luck.
I have a couple of crdi motors in my shed, so will get back to you shortly Gary
  • 2016 GD 1.8L  Auto Hatch;  2009 FD 2.0L Auto Hatch

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #2 : August 27, 2017, 02:08:54 »
@eyecon

Yes not too hard to do this.

As you can see I slipped the motor back into a car. :mrgreen: You will see its a bit tight.

Support the motor with a jack and remove the engine mount arm 'B' and lift/tilt the motor a bit more. That will give you more space. Unclip cable 'D', undo the usual tensioner (lower middle roller on #1 photo) to slack off the serpentine belt 'C' and remove. Then the 3 bolts on water pump pulley 'A'.
With the pulley out of the way, the pump mounting bolts are clear to get at. All up, an easy morning job.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:14:42 by nzenigma » »

• Author
  • au Australia
  • Australia's Capital
« Reply #3 : August 27, 2017, 06:53:50 »
Thanks NZE.  Much appreciated. I suspected correctly. I see there's plenty of new "OEM quality" i30 diesel water pumps on offer on the www. Not expensive either, but then again I don't know what an actual genuine unit costs. I guess I find out soon enough.

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #4 : August 27, 2017, 16:51:43 »
No probs mate, Bursons supply the trade, they have good quality after market or genuine parts.
Should mention that it will save time and knuckle skin if you loosen the 3 pulley bolts BEFORE you remove the serp belt.
Cheers Gary.

• Author
  • au Australia
  • Australia's Capital
« Reply #5 : August 27, 2017, 17:40:29 »
No worries about the serp belt here. Had to drive it all the way home without it when it snapped as a result of the seizure. It was a tense and interesting drive home.