Hyundai, are you listening? Suggested tweaks for PD i30 SR

Dazzler · 17 · 6409

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Here are five (relatively minor) things I think Hyundai could do to improve the SR and SR Premium  (except #3 which the Premium gets already)

(1) I would like to see the temperature adjustments made to the heating/cooling mirrored for a second or two on the top of the 8 inch display or in the 4.2 inch info display between the taco and speedo.

Because the heater controls are low down it means taking your eyes off the road when adjusting temps. My Calais had this and it was helpful. May be possible with a firmware/ software update.

(2)  At least a manual height adjustment on passenger side seat. Seats are mounted low so need to cater for shorter people. My wife needs a cushion to see out of screen comfortably (particularly with 8 inch screen in middle of dash)

(3) Don't delete auto up feature on all windows from Premium spec ( leave at least driver's window auto up) This was a petty deletion, what were you thinking!

(4) Have mud flaps on all models as standard, like some cheaper, more basic cars do.

(5) Put better, quieter tyres on as standard. These Hankooks are noisy on coarse bitumen.  If you must use Korean branded tyres, then improve road noise insulation.

None of these are deal breakers, can any PD SR/SR Premium owners think of any more?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
  • It's a pity they didn't include auto dimming headlights on the Models fitted with LED headlights (as in EU equivalent).
  • Agree with Daz re the temp adjustment momentary display (a VW inclusion, even on my  Amarok).
  • Make it possible to have Auto Hold on at startup by default (via user settings).

I'm sure I'll think of more after a few more weeks of use.

Bob

• i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• It's a pity they didn't include auto dimming headlights on the Models fitted with LED headlights (as in EU equivalent).
  • Agree with Daz re the temp adjustment momentary display (a VW inclusion, even on my  Amarok).
  • Make it possible to have Auto Hold on at startup by default (via user settings).

I'm sure I'll think of more after a few more weeks of use.

Bob
So you use the auto hold? I wasn't sure if I like the idea or not. So it defaults to off once you turn off the ignition.

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Yes, Daz, I like it, particularly in city/town traffic.  It engenders good DCT driving practice without slow creep and therefore excessive clutch slipping.  Pull up, brake, Auto Hold on dash turns green light.  Lift foot off brake and accelerate when you need to.  Simple.  Car holds without any chance of creep. 

Added advantage is auto park brake comes on when you stop and press start/stop button.

I'd say that the Auto Hold operates through  a hydraulic brake line solenoid lock off device.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Bob, I'll give it a try. :goodjob:

Offline Jeff70

• 2nd Gear

• Launceston
One thing I noticed is when you go to lift the wiper blades from the window,the arms (if not very carefull) will hit the edge of the bonnet.
  • i30 SR 2017

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
One thing I noticed is when you go to lift the wiper blades from the window,the arms (if not very carefull) will hit the edge of the bonnet.
not sure if you have tried this, but switch engine off with start /stop button, then push & hold wiper up to mist and the wipers should park in vertical position with easy access. well it works on my SR  :whistler:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Some things i miss from Veloster

1. 18" alloy wheels are bit boring & nondescript, compared to different ones on VT
2. Ability to change 8" screen colours & backgrounds. also touch screen resolution is difficult and not accurate when entering address especially for chubby fingers
3. Heater controls have a mind of their own, changing positions from front screen, face, feet, in no particular order. as Daz stated earlier on dash confirmation would be useful to keep eyes on road
4. Nearly crashed into Santa Fe on freeway using smartcruise control set at 100kmh, did not respond to vehicle slowing down in front of me after previous 6kms. not sure if Automatic Emergency Braking which was also engaged would have worked, ABS deployed and stopped just inches away. Asked my esteemed Hyundai service department to check for faults codes or errors recorded, and they said they said none & to RTFM (Read The Fecking Manual) to ensure all conditions were satisfied. Not quite as confident now in smart system for sure. so maybe Hyundai a more stern warning to state it is not working to save me going into work with the smell of fear in my underpants
5.full sized spare wheel instead of crappy space saver. drive out to remote sites 250kms away & the idea of using space saver for prolonged use at slow speed when nearest tyre place maybe over 100kms does not make feel warm and fluffy
6. Option extra to upgrade to switchback indicator / DRL and LED headlights
7. DAB/ FM radio does not find 92.9 Fm with Hamish & Andy for drive home
8. Red brake calipers like i30N   
9. Don't find Navigation good compared to Tomtom, it doesn't inform me of freeway North speed cameras that has been installed 2 years ago, but lets me know when heading south on opposite carriage when i cant even see it. classy 
10. More tuning parts, they are rare as unicorn poo

i will stop there, i do like the blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Number 7 would be a benefit in my opinion.

Thanks for the warning on the smart cruise. I'll keep that in mind.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you want Hyundai to include red calipers like the N has are you then willing to pay 3k extra in the purchase price :wink:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I think the poor quality rear view camera is going to be a negative when we buy our new i30

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think the poor quality rear view camera is going to be a negative when we buy our new i30

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yes, good point. I forgot that one. Although really only an issue at night. Seems fine in the daytime,  provided the lens hasn't got dirty.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Jeff yes, as Scott says, there is a procedure to park them up the screen  a bit. I've pinned the procedure as stated by Scott in the technical data section on thiis site.
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=45358.0

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
item 7 from my original rant 92.9FM Hamish and Andy now solved itself & available for drive home.  :goodjob2:

I would really like option of better Harman infinity sound system with sub woofer available for US Elantra GT/i30 AUS equivalent.   :idea:
My previous Veloster premium sound system had amp & sub which was much better sound to what we have now. Although not perfect as i did blow few speakers which were replaced under warranty.
And with no CD player included to play full range recordings, the compressed music especially on podcasts on usb, iphone or ipod, my i30 speakers are suffering at even at low volume levels, and this is worrying :disapp:

Hyundai have got lots right with this reinvented i30, just when you drive 4-5 hours to work you notice these little niggles.   :crazy1:

Offline Jeff70

• 2nd Gear

• Launceston
Thanks guys for the windscreen wiper mist tip.
You learn something every day.....well,hopefully.
  • i30 SR 2017

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
In my european 1.4 T-DGI I have some of the features that surprisingly you guys don't t have on the better equipped SR, like passenger seat with height adjustment and LED side markings.

Things I don't like at my PD, but one can easily live with, are the upholstery that has too much dust in it, the sometimes quite invasive ESP and the lack of rear air vents in middle of the armrest.

Other than that, well done Hyundai, overall, you did a great job with the new i30!
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
In my european 1.4 T-DGI I have some of the features that surprisingly you guys don't t have on the better equipped SR, like passenger seat with height adjustment and LED side markings.

Things I don't like at my PD, but one can easily live with, are the upholstery that has too much dust in it, the sometimes quite invasive ESP and the lack of rear air vents in middle of the armrest.

Other than that, well done Hyundai, overall, you did a great job with the new i30!
Quite right, other countries do get a couple more features in their i30's over the Australian models. Im guessing this has a lot to do with our i30's coming from South Korea and not Czech. As well pricing for small cars in Australia is so ridiculously low, even NZ gets more features than us becuase of the premium price take for cars over there.

I was in NZ at the start of the year and they already have the Ioniq and the Turkish made i20 that Austrlia doesnt get because of the cost to sourcd the car.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal