i30 Owners Club

So many wheels questions and Warranty etc

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all,

So I am still itching with the modding bug and I currently have a 2016 Active X with the 16" Alloys and although I quite like the stance it already has, I still feel like it could do better with at least 17's but I am a little confused on a few things:

- The current width of the 16's are 6.5, what is the max width I can go with out affecting the ride comfort?
- Would changing the wheels to after market affect the warranty of the car? I was advised by one Hyundai dealership/service centre that is might
- If not changing wheels and possibly painting them instead - would that even be worth doing?

Thanks!
  • 2016 i30 Active X

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi again Kev,

I don't believe 7" wide wheels are a problem on the i30. There are plenty available on Ebay which specifically mention the i30

Search "Alloy rims i30" or "17" alloys to suit i30" etc.. The bigger tyre shops like Jax and Bob Jane do some well priced wheel and tyre packages. It's worth paying a bit extra for the best tyres you can afford.

The Dealer is talking $hit about affecting the warranty. It could effect your insurance premiums (but usually not for only one step up)

17" x 7" would probably take you from 205mm wide to 225mm wide tyres so slightly more road noise (depending on the brand of tyre, but 1step up won't effect ride too much)

We have recently gone through the wheel painting exercise discussion in another thread and to get it done properly is quite expensive so not usually a cost effective option.

Only my opinions, but hopefully that helps. 

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi kevy,
The dealer you mentioned originally was putting after market wheels on new  i30 in dec last year when we bought ours. Give them a buzz.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks for the replies guys. I will wait till there are some decent second hand deals for some rims. Really after some 17 blacks or even 18s now. I might try plasti dipping them with a can of glossifier afterwards. It's all coming together soon, should be able to carbon vinyl wrap the hood with black rims on artic white, hopefully I can relive my younger youth tuning days hahah it's a far cry from the honda ek9 I used to own, but can dream again.
  • 2016 i30 Active X

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Finally had some time to plasti dip the wheels. The stock 16s are a nice size for a daily drive. Did about 4-5 coats of standard black on each rim plus 2 coats of glossifier and I think it turned out OK. What do you guys think?

Some things I learned along the way:

You need to be really patient between coats
  • Worth warming up the spray by leaving in a bowl of warm water, in my experience shaking vigorously for a minute didn't give me good results
    The plasti dip is very forgiving paint and easy to work with
    When removing the bag covering the rotors and callipers, cut the plastic bag first and remove them in smaller chunks so don't risk running them across the plasti dip

• 2016 i30 Active X

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
looks great, but I guess only time will tell

• i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Kevy,
I may have missed it,  but did you do the grill etc the same way ?
Looks good,  may need to re-do nuts if  you get a flat,  will you do the spare as well?
I would just stick to the  16 " rims , ride / noise might be  more with lower profile tyres.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I think you can fit 8.5in wide rims if you really want to go nuts. A reputable aftermarket wheel firm here sells up to that width here for the i30 gd.

Just happened to see that while browsing prices for replacing my 16in with 15in to improve comfort and fit cheaper(same quality) tires. From 205/55/16 to 195/65/15. Runs well and looks good enough on my 15in winter tires.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Kevy,
I may have missed it,  but did you do the grill etc the same way ?
Looks good,  may need to re-do nuts if  you get a flat,  will you do the spare as well?
I would just stick to the  16 " rims , ride / noise might be  more with lower profile tyres.

I couldn't initially get the plastic off that sits between the front bumper and the bonnet, so I opted for another way to mask the holes in the grill before I painted and when I went to peel off the masking it took away some of the plasti dip on the chrome accents so I ended up removing it all, except the H badge that stayed quite nice. Might give the chrome accents another try another day.
  • 2016 i30 Active X

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal