i30 Owners Club

Front end noise

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Hi all and happy new year

I have been experiencing a noise in the front end of my FD that has just over 150,000k. Mostly the noise is evident when going over speed bumps and sounds like a mixture between a squeak and a groan, however the noise (I presume same noise) is also just audible when driving along on good roads. I presume this to be the slight up and down movement of the wheels and the noise is just small "groans".

A mechanic has checked the front end and can find nothing loose etc. I thought it may be the shock absorbers but moving the front of the car up and down manually while still doesn't produce the noise.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this before and knows what it is?

Cheers
Steve
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Steve. I recall reading a similar post here that was solved by tightening a steering linkage. Have a search around.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Hi, Steve. I recall reading a similar post here that was solved by tightening a steering linkage. Have a search around.
Searching has only showed up other problems/noises, I can't find the one you are referring to  :(

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all and happy new year

I have been experiencing a noise in the front end of my FD that has just over 150,000k. Mostly the noise is evident when going over speed bumps and sounds like a mixture between a squeak and a groan, however the noise (I presume same noise) is also just audible when driving along on good roads. I presume this to be the slight up and down movement of the wheels and the noise is just small "groans".

A mechanic has checked the front end and can find nothing loose etc. I thought it may be the shock absorbers but moving the front of the car up and down manually while still doesn't produce the noise.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this before and knows what it is?

Cheers
Steve

Sounds like sway bar bushes. Mine does that. Generally quiet but after driving a bit and it warms up it's realgroany over humps or when there's a bit of travel going on in the suspension. have not motivated myself to go deeper as I think it'll be fun. may even need to drop the engine frame to get to it.

rather than just lubing I'd get new ones if going to all that effort to get to these.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Meh, sway bar, steering link, same difference. :lol:

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Picked my car up from the mechanic yesterday and so far it looks like my problem has been fixed, no noises over speed bumps.

Turns out I had 2 broken engine mounts, the left and right ones.

The little noises while travelling have been explained as being the plastic bits under the car moving, this is quite an annoying noise so I will have to see what I can do about this.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The little noises while travelling have been explained as being the plastic bits under the car moving
As in the plastic panels acting as stone guards, wheel arches, etc.?
If so, try removing them and then going for a drive, one by one, until you locate the problem, then consider adding rubber or fabric washers to where they screw on.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Picked my car up from the mechanic yesterday and so far it looks like my problem has been fixed, no noises over speed bumps.

Turns out I had 2 broken engine mounts, the left and right ones.

The little noises while travelling have been explained as being the plastic bits under the car moving, this is quite an annoying noise so I will have to see what I can do about this.

Jury is out on this for me. Shall await your final report.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
2 broken engine mounts ??
As in , the steel was broken or the rubber gone .
Did they happen to show you the mounts by any chance ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal