i30 Owners Club

Pride Before A Fall

marti30 · 12 · 5047

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
Not so long ago I posted '285,00 miles in 8 years @ 63.3mpg' in the Test Drives & Testimonials section of this forum. When driving earlier this week on the M25 London orbital motorway the oil warning light illuminated. I drove gently a few miles to a garage which I'd never been to before in an unfamiliar area.
They were friendly and helpful in that they quickly ascertained that most of the engine oil had mixed with the coolant and the resulting mixture was being forced out of the coolant header tank pressure release pipe. They could do nothing to fix the car and called my breakdown service who recovered me 125 miles to my usual garage.
My usual garage have advised that it's best to not spend anything trying to diagnose the cause (head gasket is a possibility) and fix the car as the whole of the cooling system would also have to be replaced as it is heavily contaminated with oil. They also pointed out that if the cylinder head has to be skimmed then the bottom part of the engine might not cope with the slightly increased compression ratio. Other factors to consider are that many components (including the clutch) are original and likely to require replacement before too long.
So in my experience the life of a diesel i30 is 288,818 miles.
As the car was reliable, economical and comfortable to the end and I enjoyed driving it I still recommend the i30 and am seriously considering replacing it with a new one.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sorry to hear about your car but ..........i think you have had good service from your car and if you just get scrap value you have done really well.

Some garages may offer a px of £xx if you can get the car to their forecourt or even the dealer you are at!

So what mileage now?

Hope you find a motor soon...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 17:55:40 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Oh no, sorry to hear that.

The thing about getting the cylinder head skimmed; I got a used cylinder head in mine @ 255.000 km in 2016. Have now done 286.000 km.
It was skimmed and the valve seats machined. If anything, I've gotten better fuel economy. Last year when towing the caravan to Italy I even felt the engine slightly stronger than before the "headjob"  :snigger:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Oh no!!!!   rotton luck.  but ya got yer moneys worth out of her??   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Bummer,     :blubber: she may well be  :rip:
Sounds like you enjoyed her to the end.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Not so long ago I posted '285,00 miles in 8 years @ 63.3mpg' in the Test Drives & Testimonials section of this forum. When driving earlier this week on the M25 London orbital motorway the oil warning light illuminated. I drove gently a few miles to a garage which I'd never been to before in an unfamiliar area.
They were friendly and helpful in that they quickly ascertained that most of the engine oil had mixed with the coolant and the resulting mixture was being forced out of the coolant header tank pressure release pipe. They could do nothing to fix the car and called my breakdown service who recovered me 125 miles to my usual garage.
My usual garage have advised that it's best to not spend anything trying to diagnose the cause (head gasket is a possibility) and fix the car as the whole of the cooling system would also have to be replaced as it is heavily contaminated with oil. They also pointed out that if the cylinder head has to be skimmed then the bottom part of the engine might not cope with the slightly increased compression ratio. Other factors to consider are that many components (including the clutch) are original and likely to require replacement before too long.
So in my experience the life of a diesel i30 is 288,818 miles.
As the car was reliable, economical and comfortable to the end and I enjoyed driving it I still recommend the i30 and am seriously considering replacing it with a new one.
Sorry to hear. I 'll have to stop bragging about my k's.

minus  88000k and counting for one of my tractors. For me  over here I'd track down a suitable donor  and drop it in rather than paying someone for all the headwork.

See, you should have changed that cabin filter :scared:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: At least you have the right attitude! 

All in all you are way ahead of people like me who swap their cars every 2 or  3 years.  :goodjob: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
Thank you for your commiserations.
Yesterday I visited the current local dealer (they've changed since I bought my FD in 2009) for the second time and after several hot chocolates and some biscuits agreed to buy a new solid paint  manual diesel SE hatchback. The on the road list price is £19,815 but I part with £15,300 and the old car (possibly worth £100 as scrap) which I hope I will be able to drive the short distance from garage to dealer. The Hyundai 'scrappage' incentive scheme helped as £4,000 is allowed against Euro4 and before emissions trade-ins. I was also able to mention an online price that I'd come across of £14,935.
So in a week or two I should be on the road again in a PD which I hope will be as cheap and enjoyable to drive as my FD which I reckon cost 18p per mile including fuel, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, breakdown cover, tolls, cross channel ferries (after all, if I didn't have the car then I wouldn't pay to take it abroad) and the opportunity cost of the interest foregone through spending the money on buying the car instead of putting it in a conventional deposit account. It's very rare indeed for me to pay for parking.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I would guess the PD being very impressive when going from FD. I was impressed with the GD when I took one for a test drive.

FD has really good quality when compared to price. For me even the FD is a "new" car, even they are getting 10 years old. But cars have evolved a lot in the last 10 years...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Congrats on the new wheels, hope it will serve you well..  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice quick decision. Good to see. I know several people who take forever to make a decision but I'm not one of them.  :victory:

The FD was ahead of its time in my opinion but the PD takes that to another level. You should be well pleased. Looking forward to your feedback in the coming weeks and months. Congratulations.  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Well looked after by dealer......

Now you have 285k miles target to exceed
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal