i30 Owners Club

FatBoy's test drive of the i30N

FatBoy · 13 · 20421

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
No photos, sorry.   :fum:

My youngest son and I decided to head into Hobart today to have a look at a few cars that will hopefully replace my ute, including the i30N, and ended up test driving one!!   :happydance: 

The local dealer had three in stock, all at different levels.  They had the base "Performance" in Polar White, a "Luxury optioned" in Performance Blue, and a "Luxury optioned with sunroof" in Performance Blue.  I had a sit in each one, with there being little difference in the feel of the seats, although the Luxury pack seats did have more options (imitation suede and leather, heated and vented, electric movement with memory, extendable thigh support).  All were very supportive and comfortable, even for my larger frame.  We ended up taking the Luxury optioned one without sunroof for a quick drive.

The dealer showed us around the car and took us for a quick spin around the block, before handing us the "keys" to go for a drive.  He showed us how to change the modes; Eco, Normal, Sport, N and Custom.  With Custom being the most practical for reasons I will explain later.  He also showed us the practical use of traction control and hill start assist.

It was then over to my son and I to take it for a drive by ourselves.  Just a little 10 minute drive up the Southern Outlet in Hobart and back. 

Wow!!  What a great little car!!  It had a very responsive throttle with a light clutch (compared to my V8 ute).  Even accelerating up the hill was on par, if not better than my V8.  Driving in "N" mode gave us a Formula 1 style gear change light, with a nice "pop and crackle" when pushing it towards the limits.  The rev matching on down change took a bit to get used to, but seemed to work well.  The ride in "N" mode was a little harsh, hence why the Custom mode is the best, where you can tone back the ride to a bit more comfortable level.  I really didn't get the chance to open it up, as I would my own car, but I was more than happy with what I saw.  I gave the keys back to the dealer with a very big smile on my face.

We also had a look at a Ford Focus (hoping for the ST, but had a look in the RS).  The seats were very uncomfortable, so we didn't take it for a drive.  Then we had a test drive of a Subaru WRX Premium, which was quite nice as well, but without all of the bells and whistles of the i30N.  Finally we tried to have a look at a Golf GTI, but the salesman didn't want to know us, and from what I've read, isn't as good as the i30N.

So now to decide what to do.  Either the i30N or the Subaru would be a great car.  I'll have to contact my lease company on Monday and see what they can do for me.  A lot depends on what my options are with the ute.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Jamie I'm jealous!  :mrgreen:

You've probably watched and read these..

:link: Hyundai i30 N vs Volkswagen Golf GTI, Subaru Impreza WRX and Ford Focus ST - Comparison test: Hyundai i30 N vs ,000 rivals

:link: Hyundai i30 N v Volkswagen Golf GTI v Honda Civic Type R 2018 Comparison - motoring.com.au

Wheels magazine recently rated it the best out of 10 cars. I have read the review via a library App.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Thanks for that, Dazzler.  I've been reading a lot about the i30N, and had seen comparisons between that, the Civic R-type, and the Golf GTI.  I am leaning towards the i30N!

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks for that, Dazzler.  I've been reading a lot about the i30N, and had seen comparisons between that, the Civic R-type, and the Golf GTI.  I am leaning towards the i30N!

That sounds like another "shut up & take my money " moment.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
When you pick up your i30N, don't forget to take it round to show the VW salesman.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
When you pick up your i30N, don't forget to take it round to show the VW salesman.

:rofl: :rofl:  :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Brilliant!

Trish and I often get the cold shoulder when we are window shopping for cars, furniture, electronics etc... For people that have bought 8 new cars in the last 11 years we must look poor!  :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds promising Jamie, I'm all excited and it's not even me buying it :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:MeToo: I'll be really disappointed if we (Me and Jamie) don't get an i30N! I won't be driving it but I'll be one of the closest members to it!  :happydance: :snigger:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

:MeToo: I'll be really disappointed if we (Me and Jamie) don't get an i30N! I won't be driving it but I'll be one of the closest members to it!  :happydance: :snigger:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't worry Dazz, I'll be sure to take it for a spin to Devonport and give you a go (I mean, let you sniff it).   :snigger:

That's if I get it.   :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Jamie.. my subtle hint worked!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Send them a thank you card with something like 'I had my heart set on the GTI and all I wanted to do was walk in and buy one. Because your sales staff ignored me I went down to Hyundai to see what all the fuss was about the i30N. Which is when I realised your staff had really done me a favour, because the i30N is a better car. To think I was walking in to your yard to buy a GTI....'
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Send them a thank you card with something like 'I had my heart set on the GTI and all I wanted to do was walk in and buy one. Because your sales staff ignored me I went down to Hyundai to see what all the fuss was about the i30N. Which is when I realised your staff had really done me a favour, because the i30N is a better car. To think I was walking in to your yard to buy a GTI....'

:baps:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal