i30 Owners Club

Sourcing Bonnet Slam Rubber Plugs

Offline PSKrieger

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wakefield, West Yorkshire
I've recently acquired a 2 year old i30 1.6 and so far I've been very pleased with it.

Out of pure curiosity I did a search the other day after noticing my indicators don't flash when I lock the vehicle (they do when I unlock it). This forum took me straight to the problem - the switch under the bonnet. Many people have had the issue where the rubber bung in the bonnet doesn't reliably make contact with the switch.

In my case it's a little bit more than that - there is no rubber bung! All I've got is a hole in the bonnet sub-frame where the bung that contacts the switch should be. There also isn't any evidence of marking on the paintwork which would suggest to me that the alarm / central lock flash has never worked. I've tested it by locking the vehicle with the bonnet up and manually pressing the switch and it all works fine.

So the question is - where could I get one of these bungs (other than a scrapper)? Would I be able to argue the toss with my Hyundai dealership stating that I don't think this part has ever been on the car?
  • 2016 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt Blue Drive, Manual, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi there,

I'd just go to a scrappers yard. I doubt that a dealer would come to the party on a 2 year old car, but not going to cost you anything to ask!  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PSKrieger

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Yeah I suppose there's no harm in asking. Especially when it looks like the part has never been there.

One of the scrappers I tried had some cheek and told me I'd to buy the whole bonnet because the slam bungs are 'part' of the whole!  :eek:
  • 2016 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt Blue Drive, Manual, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah I suppose there's no harm in asking. Especially when it looks like the part has never been there.

One of the scrappers I tried had some cheek and told me I'd to buy the whole bonnet because the slam bungs are 'part' of the whole!  :eek:

:crazy1:

If you are a bit of a DYI person you could modify any similar rubber plug to fit.. I'm pretty good at that sort of improvising thing, but I'm a bit far away.  :disapp:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
you're not the original owner so maybe it came off in cleaning or maybe been in an accident with the bonnet replaced? Was it a private purchase or yard? If yard then you could argue it's defective without it and see if they will replace it.

there's 2 versions of pads and switches.

without VIN I can't tell,

I think you'll find it's a common and basic item fitted to a lot of Kia and Hyundai around that time so it won't need to be an i30 you scrap it from.

927362D000

Then I found this

:link: Alarming Hyundai - Automotive Service Professional

938802L000,

938802L100
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal