Alloy Wheel Stains (or corrosion)

AlanHo · 9 · 13686

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My alloy wheels are developing white “stains” on the polished spokes. All four wheels have similar markings in the same general locations.

I have had similar problems with two i30’s and wonder if anyone has ever found an easy way of removing the white marks.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It appears from the photos to be a deterioration of the top coat or something impregnating the top coat (so to speak) if it's either of those then I'd be going for a warranty fix Alan. I assume you have a bit of warranty left?  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

They are not KIA wheels. They are German after-market and now 3 years old with no warranty left.

I guess the wheel "spokes" are diamond turned to a high finish then perhaps clear coated and water has got through the coating and "anodised" the aluminium surface.  I stress it's just a guess.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They are not KIA wheels. They are German after-market and now 3 years old with no warranty left.

I guess the wheel "spokes" are diamond turned to a high finish then perhaps clear coated and water has got through the coating and "anodised" the aluminium surface.  I stress it's just a guess.

If you intend keeping the Niro a few more years, I'd pay a wheel refurbishment or panel beating place to refurbish them.  :goodjob:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Alan, I think Dazz has got it right. Read this on the net. Does this sound like the problem. ( Quote
What is white worm on alloys?
All BBS alloy wheels which are diamond-cut with a clear lacquer finish are prone to what's called 'white worm'. Even with regular washing and maintenance, the inevitable stone chips or slightest kerbing can break the lacquer seal and moisture can ingress and the white worm will start and slowly spread.)

There are numerous articles on the net concerning white worm and illustrations that look like your wheels, also some suggestions for repair. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 00:20:59 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks for the info. I think I will get the wheels powder coated in bright silver.

Having now Googled white worm (a term I was unaware of) it is clear that the demon white worm will only reappear in a couple of years if I get them diamond cut and clear coated again

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well done @John B There is still life in the old dog yet.  :goodjob:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks for the info. I think I will get the wheels powder coated in bright silver.

Having now Googled white worm (a term I was unaware of) it is clear that the demon white worm will only reappear in a couple of years if I get them diamond cut and clear coated again

Good idea Alan. I also read about it reappearing. Little bit more knowledge I also have gained. :)
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
We're all learning! :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal