i30 Owners Club

I30 USB port & Power

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Is it possible to up the power of the existing USB port in the I30 SR to 5V and higher amps?  This would make Qi wireless charging better :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 00:12:34 by Blazorax »
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Is it possible to up the power of the existing USB port in the I30 SR to 5V and higher amps?  This would make Qi wireless charging better :)

I'm confused?  :confused: How could you do that and why would it make Qi charging better?  :undecided:

I've stopped putting my Samsung S8 on the pad when I've got it plugged into the USB for Android Auto as on a recent warm day it said my phone was overheating and it shut down some functions to cool itself down! So now I lay it crossways at the front of the console when it is plugged in by USB.

If you want higher wattage and amps I'd be getting something that plugs into the 12V power outlet for that. i'm going to try doing the wireless android auto thing when I can get around to finding a suitable wifi dongle I have laying around somewhere.   :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Yeah I use a ciggie lighter to usb thingo for my wireless charging as the USB slot has my stick full  of music on it.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hyundai drop the ball with the USB thing - why only 1 USB - tsk tsk :)
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah I use a ciggie lighter to usb thingo for my wireless charging as the USB slot has my stick full  of music on it.

I did that initially but now I have my music on my phone.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I also don’t quite get the reasoning :confused: USB and the wireless charging are two separate circuits so how would upping the USB power make wireless charging better :undecided:

I would have thought the USB port would be high powered anyway for the CarPlay/Android Auto to function correctly and charge the phone at the same time, the USB port in mine does fast charging.

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

I did that initially but now I have my music on my phone.  :cool:

yeah am old school and just keep phone for talking to peeps.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I added a 3 Amp USB slot and a custom built-in Qi pad, total cost about $3
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
yeah am old school and just keep phone for talking to peeps.
There are benefits to only needing one device for the car, phone covers everything all handsfree -  Navigation - Music -  calls and messaging, easier when I travel overseas having all the music on the phone and all I need to bring along is my Bluetooth Headphones :cool:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

There are benefits to only needing one device for the car, phone covers everything all handsfree -  Navigation - Music -  calls and messaging, easier when I travel overseas having all the music on the phone and all I need to bring along is my Bluetooth Headphones :cool:

Dont use my phone for navigation either.

Its good for phone calls and text messages.... I do use it to tether the internet though but not sure if head phones work on it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal