i30 Owners Club

Dec 2017 plated vs Jan 2018 plated Vehicle?

Offline jaycelazatin

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria, Australia
Guys just got the call – definite pick up for late november/early december for my manual i30 SR.

Is it worthwhile me telling them to not register the car and hold it until 2018 so its 2018 plated?

Will they even do that for me? Is it worth me for even ask them to do that?

I'm likely going to upgrade the car in 4 years when it's paid off (or when the new i30 is out :victory:). Will it make a difference to resale value at all?

Thanks guys!!
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 SR Manual (Sunroof) PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Guys just got the call – definite pick up for late november/early december for my manual i30 SR.

Is it worthwhile me telling them to not register the car and hold it until 2018 so its 2018 plated?

Will they even do that for me? Is it worth me for even ask them to do that?

I'm likely going to upgrade the car in 4 years when it's paid off (or when the new i30 is out :victory:). Will it make a difference to resale value at all?

Thanks guys!!

Good question. First reg date doesn't count for much. It's more about the Australian compliance date. So say build date September, Compliance plate November it will be a 2017 car when you trade it in. If say November build date, January compliance then 2018 car.

Even after 4 years will will make a difference. Not sure what you can do, maybe see if they can get you a 2018 compliance but you'll be waiting until at least Feb 2018 for that.

They will say it doesn't work like that, but wait until trade in time...  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My experience is they go off the compliance date, not rego.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
For trading and resell it's all about the BUILT date,  rego/compliance really don't count for much.

• i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I could see it make a difference if you sell it privately instead of trading it in, the extra number might help sell it a little higher assuming you don't wind the odometer to high. (After a certain mileage, its more about miles than years)

If your already planning to trade it in at the dealer, I doubt it makes a difference, it would not up here anyway.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

For trading and resell it's all about the BUILT date,  rego/compliance really don't count for much.

Interesting opinion. I've worked in and been associated with the motor industry via family for a long time and always been compliance down here.

:link: What is the difference between Build Date Compliance Date and Model Year | Motorama

Well this kind of sits on the fence, but sort of supports your argument.

:link: 2013 v 2014: Beware last year's new cars

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good link Joe (even though it shoots me down in flames)  :crazy1:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I think when your dealing with dealers they will always use whatever helps them. Ie it will be a 17 built car when you trade but an 18 complianced vehicle when they sell it to someone else.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal