i30 Owners Club

DPF Regen situation

Romy99 · 5 · 10217

Offline Romy99

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
Hello to all,

I recently bought an i30 1.6 CRDI diesel and I'm absolutely in love with it. I do 80 kms 5 days a week so buying a diesel was a given. During my drive to work on Friday, I noticed a higher fuel consumption (I like driving in the most economical way possible) and a change in engine sound. That got me worried because I didn't know anything about DPF prior to this.

Driving back home after work didn't change the situation during those 40 kms. I assume that's because I always drive between 1500-2000 rpm no matter the speed (please correct me if I'm wrong). I later read that I should drive it at higher rpm to raise the temp of the engine so that the soot can be cleaned. I drove today for 20-30 minutes at about 80km/h in 4th gear at 2000-2500 rpm and by the end of that drive, I noticed that the fuel consumption went to normal again and that the engine sound changed back to normal.

However, 3 hours later, I went again for a nearby drive and upon starting tha car again, it was again in the regen mode - higher fuel consumption and different engine sound.

My question is - is this normal? How frequent will this be and to what kind of driving style should I change in order for that mode to appear less frequently?

Apologies in advance for any ignorance I displayed here.

Thanks in advance.
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 2011

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hi Romy99,

What year model is it? If it's a secondhand one, it could have a DPF that is right on the edge of being totally clogged and in need of replacement.
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Romy99

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
Hi Romy99,

What year model is it? If it's a secondhand one, it could have a DPF that is right on the edge of being totally clogged and in need of replacement.

It's 2011 (the one on the lrft in the logo), bought secondhand. I gave him a complete checkup with the mechanic specializing in Hyundai vehicles.... unles they missed DPF?

The symbol never lights up on the dashboard though so it doesn't seem like it's on the verge of replacing?

Thanks for replying.
  • i30 1.6 CRDI 2011

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I'm not sure if there's a way to actually check if the DPF needs replacing, save for removing it from the vehicle which would take a few hours in labour.

It would help if you could maybe get a code scanner onto the car and see if anything happens to be stored as a fault code. It could be that the light on the cluster is dead (it happens) and so it isn't warning you that a DPF event is running.

I'm no diesel expert so don't quote me on this, but that's my best guess at this point.
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Diesels like to work. They like long trips. If you have any change, take a long trip and drive with a bit higher rpm than normal. Normal highway driving will usually do "passive" cleaning of pdf. Colleague had dpf issues and error codes of unsuccesfull burns were on. He did 2000km road trip which cleared the dpf a bit. All regen codes disappeared.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal