i30 Owners Club

My problem regarding 4 Year/ 60.000km service

John B · 16 · 5386

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I have 1 year left until my 5 year warranty runs out and the problem is, due to health problems my car is in my garage more than out. I only have 14.200 km on my 2014 GD i30 petrol. Because it is 4yrs old, time wise it is due for a 60.000km service. My car has always used premier fuel as I believe it is a cleaner fuel. Is the dealer going to do a full 60.000 service including changing the fuel filter with only 14200 km on the clock ? The independent garage I used before getting the i30 ( that I have great trust in ) thinks that 60.000 service is a waste of money. Thing is if I take it to him and only get done what he thinks is necessary at a lot less cost, ( not sure I can ask him to stamp my service book without all the items being done ) am I jeopardising my years warranty. I really dislike both the Hy dealers in my area as they are always treating my daughter and myself as idiots and trying to empty our bank account. I am at the stage of saying stick your years warranty left and going with honest people. Your thoughts appreciated.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
In the circumstances I would use your friendly mechanic John. In the extremely unlikely event something goes wrong it would only affect your warranty claim if it was related to the item not changed.

Motors have been pretty good with me and know I don't do add-ons so i'm happy to pay fixed cost less supplied oil once a year for Trish's car despite only doing around 7000 kms per annum. I wouldn't hear the end of it if I went independant with Trish's car and something went wrong.

But different situation for you.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
In the circumstances I would use your friendly mechanic John. In the extremely unlikely event something goes wrong it would only affect your warranty claim if it was related to the item not changed.

Motors have been pretty good with me and know I don't do add-ons so i'm happy to pay fixed cost less supplied oil once a year for Trish's car despite only doing around 7000 kms per annum. I wouldn't hear the end of it if I went independant with Trish's car and something went wrong.

But different situation for you.  :goodjob:

Thanks Dazz, that is exactly the way I have been thinking, the i30 looks like it has just come out of the showroom, in fact I have only done about 2130 km since the last service. As it sits in the garage a lot I still want to get it serviced each year ,oil & filter, brake fluid tested etc. Just seemed a bit of overkill carrying out the 15000 / 30000 / 60000 service  with an average of just over 3000 km a year.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
probably ask Hyundai and in writing but the books do have a time or distance requirement so you're kind  of locked in by that.

If it's going in for a 4 year 60k then you'd expect to be charged for same and the work be carried out  likewise.

I used to always mark discreetly items like that for verification.

So you'd think it's highly unlikely you'll be making a wty claim.

Not changing thr filter , would that void the entire car wty? probably not maybe anything fuel related with the injectors or pump.

Maybe  get your mechanic to do it, annotate precisely what was used, oil, use a genuine oil   filter, and use a genuine fuel filter and anything else needed genuine.

should be cheaper  and still cover the wty requirements.

281133X000

311123X000

A1727

Z943

Z79A

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Gerard, I appreciate your advice.  :goodjob2:  I already have some spare genuine Hy oil filters & air filter, mind you I checked my intake air filter and pollen filter the other day and both are exceptionally clean. Would have to source a fuel filter, I don't suppose the labour would be too costly if I use my mechanic. The garage I use is very good and it is also RACQ approved.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mate wouldn't waste time and money to service your brand new car. Presume you are on good terms with the indi garage. If anything goes wrong, a simple wink wink backdate could not be criticised.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Mate wouldn't waste time and money to service your brand new car. Presume you are on good terms with the indi garage. If anything goes wrong, a simple wink wink backdate could not be criticised.

Thanks Gary, Definitely not on good terms with the Hyundai dealer but have known the owner of the independent garage for a long time. I like him for his honesty so not sure he would do anything that is a bit suss, but he is not impressed with the blatant way the Hyundai dealers try to fleece customers so you never know.  :wink:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have never used Hyundai for service except warranty jobs or the occasional freebie. Never had a problem with getting a warranty job done. As long as the book is stamped (and from memory from their conditions you keep the receipt) you won't have a problem unless the mechanic has stuffed something up or a non genuine part causes the issue.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thank you beerman. I read this interesting article about warranties.

:link: Car warranties and dealer servicing
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I have never used Hyundai for service except warranty jobs .... Never had a problem with getting a warranty job done....
Unless its beyond the apprentice's skill level  :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Small update. I have decided to give Hyundai dealer the chop. Car is booked into the service garage I have dealt with for years and can trust. I will pay the RACQ $95 for a years roadside assist, hopefully wont need it. Even with the cost of RACQ and my service I will still be financially better off than using the dealer.  :happydance:    Very disappointed with both Hyundai dealers in my area, when I bought my new car I expected better. Thanks for your thoughts guys. :goodjob2:

• Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob2:  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Out of interest I had a look in the service schedule book and notice on page 7/12 60.000km service there is an askaris with a number 7 next to replace fuel filter, on page 7/10 it reads, the fuel filter is considered to be maintenance free but periodic inspection is recommended as this maintenance schedule depends on fuel quality. Also on the same 60.000km service it reads to replace the fuel tank air filter. Is the tank air filter a seperate item to the fuel filter ?
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Out of interest I had a look in the service schedule book and notice on page 7/12 60.000km service there is an askaris with a number 7 next to replace fuel filter, on page 7/10 it reads, the fuel filter is considered to be maintenance free but periodic inspection is recommended as this maintenance schedule depends on fuel quality. Also on the same 60.000km service it reads to replace the fuel tank air filter. Is the tank air filter a seperate item to the fuel filter ?
I went looking and could only see the in tank filter. If there was another then RYCO would show it.  Of the few cars I've touched I'm  use to them being just external of the fuel tank or in the engine bay.

Those service booklets often cover a range of vehicles so they're not always going to be clear and precise, can be a bit muddy.

also in those cars they were 100000k interval. I don't know how you'd inspect these to determine.

the car probably just needs oil filter and a good spanking :happydance:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Gerard, I must admit it confused me. The service manual quoted  " if the car exhibits any fuel problems such as fuel blockage etc then change the fuel filter " what you might say is the bleeding obvious.  I think the owner of the garage I am going to use is going to change the oil & filter that I will supply and as you say give the car a good spanking  :lol:  for $95 instead of the HY dealers $249.  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Gerard, I must admit it confused me. The service manual quoted  " if the car exhibits any fuel problems such as fuel blockage etc then change the fuel filter " what you might say is the bleeding obvious.  I think the owner of the garage I am going to use is going to change the oil & filter that I will supply and as you say give the car a good spanking  :lol:  for $95 instead of the HY dealers $249.  :goodjob2:

Ooops Hyundai dealers cost should have read $349 for 60.000 km service.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal