kiwias · 47 · 15875

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi again
Sorry been away. Just a thought as to where to start the trail to discover the problem. I am not sure if the car is having a transmission fault or if it is going into limp mode. I do not know what the signs are of limp mode in the make and model. A previous car went into limp mode and would only let me travel at 40km it being a manual mond you. Could this car being going into limp mode for what ever reason?. So if it is in limp mode and the engine light comes on and i plug a scanner in should it read the problem?? It may not even be the trans at all. Could it be some sensor or so

Cheers

My understanding of limp mode in the FD Diesel is it won't rev past 3000 RPM (so rev limited, not speed limited) Hope that helps.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Hi
I will take not of that when it happens. It does get up to speed when starting off from scratch but it feels like it a centrofugal clutch feeling like my go kart when taking off. It revs quite high but over 3000rpm? that i will check

Cheers
  • Hyundai 130 elite 2008 diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Dazz is correct, limp mode restricts Revs.

If the light is coming on, there should (hopefully) be codes stored. Has anyone checked?

May sound silly, but has the fluid level in the transmission been checked? If its low the box will flare.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Hi
Thanks for reply. I had the car in at the local Hyundai dealer which cost me near $1000 to say not sure whats wrong. The took the pan off the trans and checked the oil colour etc and for they sain any sign of filings. They then said they did a trans service. They put the scanner on but said it only gave them a fault code total eralevant to what was happening?. I will troll back in this page for that code
Cheers

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Ok
Have purchased a scanner Bosch obd 1110
Plugged it in and turned on ignition andnot started.
It gave me 2 code readings
Po760  shift solernoid C malfunction
P0700 transmission control (malfunction indicator lamp request)

Now the engine light had been on when i was driving it this morning as it palyed up again last nigh but it went off before i could plug the scanner in. But this is what it came up with any way.
Im not sure why the Hyundai Dealers mechanics scanner did not read the same and charged me a $1000 to say nothing wrong??

Any suggestion on what i do next please. Thanks everyone for input and help. If i take it back to the dealers mechanic to fix they will charge another $1000 to look and and do another service and groom just because the buggers can get away with it

Cheers

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok
Have purchased a scanner Bosch obd 1110
Plugged it in and turned on ignition andnot started.
It gave me 2 code readings
Po760  shift solernoid C malfunction
P0700 transmission control (malfunction indicator lamp request)

Now the engine light had been on when i was driving it this morning as it palyed up again last nigh but it went off before i could plug the scanner in. But this is what it came up with any way.
Im not sure why the Hyundai Dealers mechanics scanner did not read the same and charged me a $1000 to say nothing wrong??

Any suggestion on what i do next please. Thanks everyone for input and help. If i take it back to the dealers mechanic to fix they will charge another $1000 to look and and do another service and groom just because the buggers can get away with it

Cheers

P0700 is only there because the TCM has triggered a code and needs the  PCM to turn  the MIL on.

That leaves this one to fault find.

P0760 Fail Safe 3
 PCSV-B(2-4 SOLENOID VALVE) CIRCUIT - OPEN or SHORT(GND)

The Automatic Transmission changes the gear position of the transmission utilizing a combination of Clutches and Brakes, which are controlled by solenoid valves. This Automatic Transmission consists of a: LR ( Low and Reverse Brake ), 2-4( 2-4 Brake ), UD ( Under Drive Clutch ), OD ( Over Drive Clutch ), REV ( Reverse Clutch ).
DTC Description

The PCM/TCM checks the 2-4 SOLENOID VALVE Control Signal by monitoring the feedback signal from the solenoid valve drive circuit .If an unexpected signal is monitored, ( For example, high voltage is detected when low voltage is expected or low voltage is detected when high voltage is expected) the PCM/TCM judges that 2nd Brake drive contorl solenoid circuit is malfunctioning and sets this code.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:40:05 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I don't see an easy way with this but I'd start with the Shift solenoid harness or connections, it could be internal as mentioned previous like that video potential of defective harness.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:57:30 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:08:55 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:10:58 by tw2005 »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The intermittent nature of the fault tells me you have an electrical fault, not the first preference of worn valve body.

Clear the code and see if same one reappears.
 You may be lucky and find a wire break or corroded plug on the outside, but gut feeling is that it is inside the box.
As noted before, there have been 'dry' solder joints found in the valve body.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Just took the car for another run to get it to do the malfunction and had the scanner hooked up. It did it after a while and has only come back with the same code P0760. Rightfully the Hyundai dealer mechanic checked out all wires exturnally as they did an engine service why? and took the pan off the gear box and checked and did a gear box service so you should asume they looked for external leads etc not connected properly etc how ever one should never asume?
Your photo of valve assembley solenode and solenode what are they?. Should i just replace those any way or try and do the solider thing as in the video

Cheers

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
one should never assume!

There you go , that's your new motto.

The dealer has simply pumped up the bill.

Go over whatever you can see externally.

Read all of Gerard's info, it has measurements you can make with a multi-meter.

Hopefully, the intermittent dry joint will show up.

From there it gets adventurous. Go inside and examine all wires and solder joints.

Good Luck.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm with Gary. Start with a new sheet.

Something I just noticed in those drawings  it's showing the controls coming from the PCM. The diesel has a separate TCM that connects to the PCM so the solenoids would be connected to the TCM.

Looks like I have a big edit to do as It's likely going to affect pinouts not so much the theory or specs :head_butt: :faint:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal