i30 Owners Club

Replace stock headlights with led?

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hey guys
I'm considering replacing the stock (halogen?) Headlights with some LED ones (long story is my i30 for hit from.the rear so is in the accident repair centre as.i type and my courtesy car - grandland x - has LEDs).

Firstly, I'm not sure where to begin, not an expert at motor vehicles in any shape or form (but can follow guides and have replaced headlight units and other basics in the past).

It's a 65 reg i30 - there's nothing more to say about the car really but if anyone has any advice in what to buy (keeping budget as low as possible please!), Where to buy and any tips and tricks for installation, I'm all ears! 

Thank you guys
  • I30

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Sorry, but 65 Reg means nothing in regards to actual model (FD, GD, PD?) to Aussies and your sig is lacking the required info as well.

Try here :link: i30 PD active LED headlights

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Keep in mind changing to led headlight bulbs is illegal though if your willing to risk it JW Speaker do a direct fit bulb :link: LED Headlight Conversion Kit – Direct Fit – Invision Sales

On my GD model the main beams still require an adaptor to fit them, high beams go straight in securing with the factory locking spring clip.

Rubber boots or extended headlight caps may also be required to fit the bulbs if not enough space at the rear.

PD models (current shape) don’t seem to work as well with LED’s due to artefacts in the beam, whether that's due to differences in the bulbs being used or the headlamp housing I'm unsure :undecided:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:55:26 by CraigB »

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Sorry, but 65 Reg means nothing in regards to actual model (FD, GD, PD?) to Aussies

Okay, good point, forgot this is an international place and not specific to the UK.  Any clues on how I can find this out and I can add that info!

EDIT: I can tell you it's the 2012-Present version, 1.6 diesel. In grey. With lots of miles on the clock.  And it needs a clean.

Your sig is lacking the required info as well.

Oh man, sorry, erm, I'm new here if you point me to what I need to include, I'll be sure to go and add it!

EDIT: I added some info about the car, which seems to be what others have done.  Sorry, should have read the rules but I'm not a very regular visitor here and signed up AGGGGES ago

Try here :link: i30 PD active LED headlights

Thanks, I shall take a look at that link shortly :)

Keep in mind changing to led headlight bulbs is illegal

Is that in AUS or in general around the world? I'm in the UK if that helps!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:48:27 by badgerfruit »
  • I30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Keep in mind changing to led headlight bulbs is illegal

Is that in AUS or in general around the world? I'm in the UK if that helps!
I think I've read posts here on the forum previously that UK regulations on headlight modifications are much the same as ours in regards to swapping halogen headlight bulbs to LED, you should be able to check that with your local Department of Transport or whatever it's called over there :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I can tell you it's the 2012-Present version, 1.6 diesel. In grey. With lots of miles on the clock.  And it needs a clean.
1st version FD was from 2007 to 2012

2nd version GD was from 2012 to 2017

3rd and current version PD was from 2017

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks, GD it is then! To the google machine ....
  • I30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal