i30 Owners Club

2017 i30sr starting problem

Liisa · 322 · 99449

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Wife's car booked in for the starting issue and the blind spot detection not working again. It's the third time back for the same problems and I'm loosing my patience. She has to wait until 28/6 as that's the first day with a loan car they have.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline gazman51

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Qld Gold Coast.
Well it went back to dealer today
and they replaced injectors ,  spark plugs and manifold gasket

The injector part no. on paperwork  states  HY353102B350

Here's hoping that is the fix however time will tell

Gaz
  • 2018 i30 SR Premium DCT Firey Red

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Well it went back to dealer today
and they replaced injectors ,  spark plugs and manifold gasket

The injector part no. on paperwork  states  HY353102B350

Here's hoping that is the fix however time will tell

Gaz
makes you wonder if there's several injectors suitable. That one comes up as fitted to 2016 Elantra SR with 1.6 TCI GDI but the catalog I use probably ends around there
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline alexy

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Slovakia
Hi guys.

Just for cross-confirmation... My injectors were replaced with the same part number... 3531004AA0QQH
So it seems like bad batch was released.
Hopefully it work now again :-)

:goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Wagon, Petrol 1.4lt T-GDi, Manual, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi guys.

Just for cross-confirmation... My injectors were replaced with the same part number... 3531004AA0QQH
So it seems like bad batch was released.
Hopefully it work now again :-)

:goodjob2: :goodjob:

Cheers for that alexy!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline gazman51

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Qld Gold Coast.
That injector part number quoted by Alexy is different to the part number on the paperwork for our car repair

Gaz
  • 2018 i30 SR Premium DCT Firey Red

Offline alexy

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Slovakia
But they are same like dinkydong posted on page #9
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Wagon, Petrol 1.4lt T-GDi, Manual, Red

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Good summary and questions there Gerard.  :goodjob:

You know what is sad. From all the threads on here it is now pretty obvious that the software "fix" does bugger all and that an injector swap is effective. So, why isn't Hyundai being proactive to ensure all dealerships are up to speed and that the affected owners are getting V.I.P. treatment to repair the damage this has caused to the i30's reputation.  :crazy1:

I've hated having to make excuses for  Hyundai and  the PD i30 which I still believe to be an awesome and mostly very reliable car.  :undecided:

Gerard's work is always impeccable.  :goodjob2:

Dazz  From the get go , I have followed and commented on the warm start issue and the associated dealer inaction. Your sentiments are also mine..

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Hey Gents,

Long time lurker first time poster, just wanted to say a big thank you to all those who have posted their experiences on here with their i30SR' cold/warm startup issues.

Unfortunately my mothers July 2018 Build (delivered in August) SR has been having this initial cold start problem where the car will "struggle" to crank on first ignition (happening for the last seven months since inspection in January for misfiring concerns), the car has been at Phil Gilbert Croydon for the last four days and I've looped Hyundai HQ in the matter as well. To put it politely I've been given the ring around and nothing short of a "can kicking" exercise by both Phil Gilbert Croydon and Hyundai HQ.

To put it in bullet points the following has been reported / acknowledged / responded to:

*Initial cold start issue where vehicle struggles for 1-3 seconds to ignite* A - Data logger not recording any faults however we have noticed a slight hesitation of vehicle start, have sent information to Hyundai HQ who have advised to fully charge battery and do test again on 16/08/2019

*Paint defects/contamination/rust* - Issues observed by regional manager and service manager and have requested/received quotation on repairs

I've advised both Phil Gilbert Hyundai at Croydon and Hyundai HQ that due to the litany of issues plaguing my mothers car that she'd be seeking redress to the problems in the form of a replacement vehicle, I don't know how good my chances are due to the replies on here as well as dealings with the Service mgr @ Croydon as well as Hyundai Customer care on the phone/via email.

Video of cold start: :link: Streamable - free video publishing

I appreciate you guys/girls taking the time to see my post, this whole debacle is quite daunting and annoying when the dealership and head office both play games and flout a court enforceable undertaking with the ACCC.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 15:22:15 by CraigB »
  • Mother owns i30SR (I own a different make)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day chris,
Blind Freddie could see those paint / finish faults, not to mention that crack  :rolleyes:.
Keep us posted
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
G'Day chris,
Blind Freddie could see those paint / finish faults, not to mention that crack  :rolleyes:.
Keep us posted

Keeping you updated is the least I can do, I suspect it'll be tomorrow or next Tuesday at the latest as I served them with a letter of demand (Hyundai HQ) So far the regional manager is taking on the matter as the issue has been escalated...we'll see what will/won't come of it :crazy1:

Note - I have emailed the customer service manager (who funnily enough is one of the daughters of Phil Gilbert) as well as numerous other people of interest at Hyundai and Phil Gilbert about this forum and the numerous reports including from Alto at Artarmon...to which they kindly rebuffed me and went to the typical "Oh we need to hook up the diagnostics and go from there okay"...talk about birds of a feather flock together :crazy2: :whistler: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 13:52:55 by ChrisSR »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:welcumwagon: Chris,

Sorry to hear about your mum's car. Sounds like she's lucky to have you in her corner. Fingers crossed it all works out. Following with interest.  :goodjob:

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Small update - The service manager at Phil Gilbert Croydon has informed me after fully charging the battery the car is having no cold start issues and has decided to take aim at the dashcam (Blackview DR750 2ch with power magic pro) saying the camera is the cause for the start up problems in the car (which I highly doubt as the camera turns off once the voltmeter reads 12v).

The paint issues are still there, personally I'm tired of the debacle and will go to a meeting with their can kicker in chief to see what remedies will be offered (most likely they'll push hard to repair the two defective front doors plus replace rear bumper with ripple/dimpling defects plus rear boot hatch rather than offer a replacement/refund. However my caveat will be if they cannot guarantee a flawless factory paint finish then the vehicle will be refused outright as a "Major" failure.

Too harsh? If it was a single door panel I'd see a repair as reasonable but over several major parts requiring repair? In my humble opinion it suggests a major manufacturing defect/failure.

I'll be sure to update when possible.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Stand your ground.  :goodjob:

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
So the director of the dash camera installation company has made a reply to the comments made from said advisor(s) at Phil Gilbert Hyundai at Croydon:

To whom this my concern,

Please find following description of works carried out for ********* on the 8/8/2018 to her 2018 Hyundai SR130.

On the day of installation, we were given instructions to install a Blackvue DR750S-2CH + Blackvue Power Magic Pro.

Installation of these item consisted of the following,

Installation of a rear camera to the tailgate area.
Installation of a front dash camera to the front windshield area.
Installation of a Power Magic Pro battery discharge prevention unit.

The installation of the above did not required any factory wiring to be cut or spliced. All wiring connections we completed using fused adaptors within the cars factory fuse box area.   

After installation of the dash camera a power cycle test was preformed to ensure that the dash camera did power down and no excessive power draw was detected and that the camera was preforming as designed.

Any further questions regarding this email feel free to contact me directly.

Regards

So essentially they are replying to Hyundai' accusation as damaging/slanderous in my humble opinion, particular details of this message have been omitted to protect the identity of the owner as well as the company as this matter may be headed for litigation.

Phil Gilbert Hyundai - Croydon and Hyundai Australia are still radio silent
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 22:33:17 by nzenigma »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:disapp:  :spitty:  :undecided:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Of course the cameras would not cause the problem,  DF's clutching at straws.
I'd call them again and if no response,  go visit them, start off in the car sales section,  discuss your problems with salesperson, hope people are around  :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

start off in the car sales section,  discuss your problems with salesperson, hope people are around  :happydance:

:brilliant:

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Twenty minutes after I forwarded them the email from the company who installed the dash camera, this came through from Phil Gilbert Hyundai:

Concern #6

Hard to start. Cold start delay.( only happens first crank in the morning)

Testing has been carried out and results reported to Hyundai. We carried out 4 x cold start test and have provided required data to Hyundai technical for assessment. After reviewing the data provided, Hyundai advised us to charge the battery as the data suggested that the cranking voltage  dropped at cold start. The battery was recharged and tested on cold start. No delay in cold start could be replicated after recharging the battery.

It’s also come to our attention that the vehicle is fitted with an aftermarket front and rear video recorder. The module for this video recorder is  wired to the main junction box. We suspect that this could be one of the reasons for the battery to drain some charge  as the unit fitted is a 24/7 monitoring device.

Doesn't bode well for Hyundai dealerships when most advertise Blackvue front and rear dash cameras in the showroom and if it were the case how can they pluck that from thin air when the warm start/cold start issue has been known for well over a year? Coincidence? I think not!

There's a meeting taking place this Friday at Phil Gilbert Hyundai in Croydon with HMCA Area manager, Phil Gilberts customer relations director, service manager (whom in my humble opinion is a bad faith actor) and most likely a legal liaison (try and shove a sock down my throat). :whistler: :whistler:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 22:31:47 by nzenigma »

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Of course the cameras would not cause the problem,  DF's clutching at straws.
I'd call them again and if no response,  go visit them, start off in the car sales section,  discuss your problems with salesperson, hope people are around  :happydance:

Honestly I've had a better dispute resolution process with BMW and Mazda with regards to lesser issues compared to Hyundai. Considering they're under a court enforceable undertaking with the ACCC they sure do act like a certain  manufacturer with a three pointed star. Little do they know that I'm prepared to wage war on most if not all platforms in order to harm their sales if they cannot do they right thing and follow/observe Australian consumer law :rolleyes:

It perplexes me the hide these supposed "people" have.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
saying the camera is the cause for the start up problems in the car (which I highly doubt as the camera turns off once the voltmeter reads 12v).

I think you might be better with it cutting off at 12.3v if that's an option?

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
saying the camera is the cause for the start up problems in the car (which I highly doubt as the camera turns off once the voltmeter reads 12v).

I think you might be better with it cutting off at 12.3v if that's an option?

For regular vehicles the PMP (Blackvue power magic pro) only has two settings 12v and 12.5v, will ask the installer to see what he thinks. However upon reading all of the user manual for the i30 as well as HMCA policies for the i30 at no time did I uncover a policy, caveat or refusal of warranty claims if a dash camera/recorder is installed. Either I missed a page or Hyundai don't see it as an issue and the dealership/HMCA are using this as an excuse to get away from the well known issue that plagues the 1.6T (cold/warm start stutter during start up)

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Update - Hyundai and Phil Gilbert Croydon meeting was a bust, they were staying firm of locking my mother in to a culture of repair for the defective areas and they're still blaming the starting issue on the dash camera despite the car going yesterday to Alto Hyundai for a service and the voltmeter was reading over 12.56V and a very healthy battery.

Honestly do not know what to do from here on out but it's up to my mother and father to decide on what course of action to take, the engine start up problem has actually gotten a little worse since all this mess with Gilberts and Hyundai AU.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 22:34:03 by nzenigma »

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Okay, 
Would be crap for you but its your mums and that makes it worse.
Cameras are out - Santa has that system installed by Hyundai dealer,  no dramas after sitting for 2 weeks.
I take it you have nothing in writing from that meeting.
Are they saying ALL hard start issues  ( 10 pages here and a whole heap of members names) relate to camera - if not what % is camera related and what is not.
Get dealer to disconnect cameras . Camera CANNOT be blamed .  :D
Then, ( this is hard on your folks) every time it fails to start on 2nd try, call Hyundai Road Assist and have it towed to SAME dealer. Request loaner as well. Creating a History of events  relating to problem and request written info as to what was tested and the result.
 All verbal discussion are out - even if you chat to any staff  relating to car, write it down include  their name, (first name is fine )location , position and date and time. Another  history created.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I am in lock step with Mick. How much current does the camera draw?? answer bugger all. Probably less than one parking light. If that car cannot start even on 12v, it ( the car) is deficient.

As Mick has said, you have a slight problem in that it is a dispute between your parents and Phil Gilbert Croydon . However, at Court, they can nominate another person to be their advocate ( you  :goodjob2:)

As you proceed, notes and an accurate diary are essential.

I would add one caveat  to Mick's response, verbal exchanges are valid evidence if they are first hand recordings between the complainant or his/her witness and the accused.
This is a great tool. :link: 8GB Digital USB Dictaphone Spy Voice Recorder Listening Device Memory Stick 723800970815 | eBay
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
Hi Mickd,

They asked for no recording devices for the meeting, what was said was the following (paraphrased):

Your concern of initial engine start up concerns were investigated to where information and logs were sent to Hyundai as we detected low voltage on several starts, Hyundai AU requests battery to be fully charged and tests redone. New tests shows engine cranks over as per HMCA guidelines, we attribute the cause of this to be the Blackvue dash camera/DVR draining battery - No further action required. Now I asked did they follow best practice and due diligence by disconnecting the camera and testing the exact same concern again? They firmly declined and said they've addressed the issue and have no desire to follow up the matter any further.

As per my previous reply I think my mothers image of the Hyundai brand has been forever damaged as she complained just this morning in a lengthy phone conversation her car is still struggling to crank over...now by their own logic Hyundai charged the battery, the dash camera installer said the camera is working as per its design with the power magic pro yet HMCA and Phil Gilbert - Croydon are being absolutely unreasonable so much so they are bluffing me in to litigation (to make it a prolonged event). Yet to my amazement Alto Hyundai in Artarmon tested the battery and said the unit is fine...mind blown. :crazy2:

I've been taking notes of all verbal conversations as per the Evidence Act 1995 NSW (sections 32 and 34), contemporaneous notes or contemporaneous recordings of events can be used to refresh the memory of a witness to an event. Even if very rudimentary, they can add to the reliability and strength of the evidence being given in court proceedings.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Reading this thread, it is hard for me (a Hyundai die-hard) to remain positive about the brand...but I have to keep reminding myself that it is not Hyundai at fault here but Phil Gilbert, Croydon.

They would be the closest location to my family in Sydney and a main port of call should I ever decide to get a different vehicle ...but..... THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH THAT I WOULD EVER GO TO PHIL GILBERT, CROYDON TO BUY A CAR OR HAVE IT SERVICED!!!!!!!!!

I get the feeling that Phil Gilbert, Croydon is not losing any sleep over this extremely poor treatment that they are shelling-out to your mum and dad (and you)... and are thinking  that enough sh#t treatment you will make you either just go away and try and try another dealer...or sell the car and move on.

EXTREMELY POOR SHOW, PHIL GILBERT, CROYDON!!!!  :mad: :mad:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It is a frustrating situation for sure, but we do have to be careful as a forum. We are only hearing one side of the story.  Not doubting Chris or his family in any way, but considering this matter may end up in some sort of legal proceedings the forum needs to remain somewhat impartial.

Obviously individual members have every right to make up their own mind from the information supplied.  :cool:

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
It is a frustrating situation for sure, but we do have to be careful as a forum. We are only hearing one side of the story.  Not doubting Chris or his family in any way, but considering this matter may end up in some sort of legal proceedings the forum needs to remain somewhat impartial.

Obviously individual members have every right to make up their own mind from the information supplied.  :cool:

I would agree that there are two sides to the story, however in my case I like to live life as brutally honest as possible (regardless if I offend or hurt someones feelings). In saying that I don't know where my parents will go with this matter, I'm merely a person with consumer law issues/experience in the past with other brands (Mazda and BMW) and in both those situations both matters were amicably resolved without going to litigation and to be honest their defects pale in comparison to my parents i30SR :confused: :undecided:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :rolleyes:
Pull the fuse for the camera.
So the dealer has the final word , I think not. Hyundai Australia has final say. The dealer gets paid  for fault finding regardless.
You said meeting was verbal, but you need to push to get in writing  just who is not going to rectify fault. I would bet my left one on just the dealer as if it were HA they would give you a written letter and say "sorry out of our hands ".
Again maybe some free publicity outside the dealer over the weekend,  as well as a few well timed " excuse me , but my parents bought one of these and ........."
Lost any hair yet  :winker:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal