i30 Owners Club

LED Number Plate and Interior Lights

DeeTee · 137 · 61921

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I highly recommend these T10's :link: 4X WHITE T10 7020 SMD 10 LED W5W WEDGE TAIL SIDE CAR LIGHTS TURN PARKER BULB | eBay

They are very bright and the base shape gives a far better/stable fitment than the circuit board type base.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yo @CraigB

Thanks mate, Is the 2 rear lamps - one on top of each rear seat near the handle use the same type T10 as well?

• 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yo @CraigB

Thanks mate, Is the 2 rear lamps - one on top of each rear seat near the handle use the same type T10 as well?
I wouldn't know as I don't have your model, can you pop the cover off and see :undecided:

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Yo @CraigB

If those are LED anyway is there any need to upgrade them, or are they not bright enough?
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
They are yellow - I dislike yellow light, it put me to sleep.

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
They are yellow - I dislike yellow light, it put me to sleep.

Ah yes, I guess they had to colour match them to the front map lights.
I notice that the manual says to have the Hyundai dealer replace them so it may not be an easy task.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I notice that the manual says to have the Hyundai dealer replace them so it may not be an easy task.

It is a sad day indeed if we require an electrician to replace a light bulb :(  Why do they have to designed it so :)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi guys

i tried following the manual to remove the light cover, yet too afraid I will break something if using force.  Could not pry it following the manual instruction.  I did manage to have some success from the door side as drawn with red arrow.  Yet it still wouldn't come off.

Any tips on how to remove this thing without breaking it?

Edit: found this on youtube, pretty good info

:link: Hyundai Elantra LED Interior How To Install - 6th Gen | 2015+ - YouTube

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:47:44 by Blazorax »

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Hi guys

i tried following the manual to remove the light cover, yet too afraid I will break something if using force.  Could not pry it following the manual instruction.  I did manage to have some success from the door side as drawn with red arrow.  Yet it still wouldn't come off.

Any tips on how to remove this thing without breaking it?

Edit: found this on youtube, pretty good info

:link: Hyundai Elantra LED Interior How To Install - 6th Gen | 2015+ - YouTube

I found that youtube tutorial as well and he makes it look easy, probably is when you know how and have the confidence  :cool:

I think I'll wait until the lamps I ordered from ebay turn up before I tackle it though.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I think I'll wait until the lamps I ordered from ebay

Where did you ordered from?  I bought mine from that link CraigB mentioned previously and mine came through a couple of days ago.

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
I ordered the ones mentioned in posting #25 (cazlar) in this thread.
I probably would have got the ones that CraigB posted instead had I noticed in time but my order was already in process by then.
I'm sure anything will be an improvement on the dull incandescents in there at the moment.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@CraigB - Woot, got the car back from the rear bumper replacement.  Today I received the trim tools, so I replace them T10 as per your recommendation, now I have white !!! Thanks CraigB

Now need to order the festoon size for the vanity shade light.  Any recommendation?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB - Woot, got the car back from the rear bumper replacement.  Today I received the trim tools, so I replace them T10 as per your recommendation, now I have white !!! Thanks CraigB

Now need to order the festoon size for the vanity shade light.  Any recommendation?
I don't know what size the festoons are for yours though I've used the same 7020 LED type for my 31mm interior lights and boot as well  :link: 4X 12V 31MM FESTOON 7020 4 LED CAR UTE 4WD INTERIOR DOME MAP LIGHT BULB GLOBE | eBay

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Put the LED in the driver side, beautiful light up white - Did the same on passenger side, all dark - What the hell.  Checked everything still dark. 

Dammit blown a fuse :P  Grab a replacement spare from the engine fuse box and got everything going again.  All lights are white now.

The last two @ the rear next to the roof handle I have no idea what to do with them.  Cant seem to find a way to remove the cover.

Time for more research

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You might be able to suss out the rear two by removing the handles then pull the rubber door seal back far enough which should allow access into the headlining and you can drop the whole light fixture.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Put the LED in the driver side, beautiful light up white - Did the same on passenger side, all dark - What the hell.  Checked everything still dark. 

Dammit blown a fuse :P  Grab a replacement spare from the engine fuse box and got everything going again.  All lights are white now.

The last two @ the rear next to the roof handle I have no idea what to do with them.  Cant seem to find a way to remove the cover.

Time for more research

Word from Tim the master Hyundai tech on one of the facebook groups (he doesn't come here anymore)   :Pout:  is that he thinks they may be permanent yellow LEDs.. :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Dazzler - are you still in contact with Tim on FB?  can you ask him if he knows of replacement unit to make it white?  Does Hyundai have such a thing?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Dazzler - are you still in contact with Tim on FB?  can you ask him if he knows of replacement unit to make it white?  Does Hyundai have such a thing?

He has an SR as well which his wife drives. He isn't sure at this stage. I just noticed he made a comment that he was pretty sure they were yellow wired in LED's.

I doubt there is a white option available but i cant imagine it would be very hard to solder in a white LED in place of the yellow one if you or a mate are handy with a soldering iron. Get a suitable led from Jaycar or similar) :cool:

If I see or hear any more about those lights I will let you know.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Fabbbrrr

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Thanks for all the info in this topic, I've been reading the forum for a few weeks since I bought my i30 :)... now I have the leds everywhere except back seats and reverse lights.

As for the back seats, is there any news? I don't quite like how it looks with both white/yellow... I'm even considering going back full yellow :(. I've tried to remove the little plastic without success. I would change the led if I can ever remove it. I'm good with the electrical part but not so much removing plastic without breaking anything!

Has anyone also upgraded the reverse lights? is it worth the trouble?
  • 2017 MY18 PD SR Premium Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
LED reverse lights make a huge difference to the rear vision, highly recommended :goodjob2:

If I was to buy new ones I'd go for the new generation type T15 bulbs :link: 2PCS 12V 24V 60W LED CREE T15 W16W Car Reverse Turn Signal Backup Light bulb | eBay

The ones I've currently got are these :link: Canbus T15 24 LED Car Rear High Mount 3rd Brake Reverse Parking Signal Lens Bulb | eBay

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

As Craig said, good LED reversing lights make a huge difference especially with rear view camera at night. So much better than the filament bulbs, you can actually see what is behind you without using the force  :snigger: or missus giving vague gap instructions from outside the car  :crazy1:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Have updated mine to some W16W LED that are 2000Lm LED Reverse Light , but have been thinking about trying these 4000LM Backup Reverse Light Bulbs 6000K white LED lamp Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried them yet.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:02:28 by buff »
  • 2017 PD i30 Elite, Diesel 1.6lt, DCT, Iron Grey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Have updated mine to some W16W LED that are 2000Lm LED Reverse Light , but have been thinking about trying these 4000LM Backup Reverse Light Bulbs 6000K white LED lamp Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried them yet.
Looking at the live shots the first bulbs 2000Lm ( 1000Lm per bulb ) they look less bright than the current 500 to 600Lm bulbs I’m using at the moment, if they actually were that bright I would also be concerned with melting the socket :eek:

The other bulbs won’t fit, they may have the T15 w16w adaptor but how do you expect to mount them :undecided:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Dammit - I was happy with my LED, and now you guys introducing reverse LED.  Now I will not be able to forget it until I buy them :P

BTW @Fabbbrrr - welcome mate

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dammit - I was happy with my LED, and now you guys introducing reverse LED.  Now I will not be able to forget it until I buy them :P
You wont be disappointed, had mine in for about two years now and they're great :)

Offline Vitruvian

• 2nd Gear
I can suggest this LEDs for reverse light:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/chFus6wy

I use it for few months now and I'm very satified, visibility on my reverse camera at night is highly improved.
The price is unbeatable also

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I can suggest this LEDs for reverse light:

:link: 2pcs 1000Lm W16W T15 LED Bulbs Canbus OBC Error Free LED Backup Light 921 912 W16W LED Bulbs Car reverse lamp Xenon White D030-in Signal Lamp from

I use it for few months now and I'm very satified, visibility on my reverse camera at night is highly improved.
The price is unbeatable also
Reasonable price :goodjob2: a little less bright (500Lm per bulb) than the others suggested though as it's using three to four year old LED tech.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 14:02:26 by CraigB »

Offline Fabbbrrr

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Wow! I didn't expect such excitement about reverse LEDs :D

I think I'll order the ones CraigB has at the moment, not keen on spending more than 15 bucks on this as I don't reverse that much at night.

I've found this one :link: NEW T15 921 W16W Wedge Super White 24 SMD 2835 LED Backup Reverse Light | eBay which has the same specs as the more expensive ones, I might go for them and let you know. If they are bad they'll go to the Getz instead :)
  • 2017 MY18 PD SR Premium Blue

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
You wont be disappointed

Bought, now the wait :)  I've been following @CraigB recommendation from shampoo to drying towels, and now LED, been good so far - so I'll continue to stick to his recommendation  :victory: :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've found this one :link: NEW T15 921 W16W Wedge Super White 24 SMD 2835 LED Backup Reverse Light | eBay which has the same specs as the more expensive ones, I might go for them and let you know. If they are bad they'll go to the Getz instead :)
They look like the same bulb so keep us informed as the price is good :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal